1.    #1  
    With all the other carriers moving to LTE as there 4G tech. I have a feeling this will be a major reason why us Sprint Pre users may not get to play with the new WebOS toys. Sprint has painted themselves intoa corner IMO. If they stick with WiMax they keep their less than 1yr old Evo/Epic customers happy but cause WebOS users to make a choice of leaving or be assimilated by the Droid. If they chose LTE then they will upset there Droid 4G customers. I also think that HP (and maybe other manufactures) is waiting out the 4G war as so they won't have to write code for two different 4G bands. So back to Sprint...according to Engadget....they are looking @ switching to LTE. If they do then us Sprint Pre users get the Pre3. If not.....well Evo or bye bye Sprint. What do you think?
    sprint has enough spectrum to run wimax and LTE at the same time if they want so they can run wimax until they get LTE up and running then cut wimax . they can do it !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    sprint has enough spectrum to run wimax and LTE at the same time if they want so they can run wimax until they get LTE up and running then cut wimax . they can do it !

I didn't know they were capable right now to run both. I thought they had the ability to upgrade their current WiMax to LTE. If they run both they would have build or buy duplicate hardware. Since they didn't I don't see hoow they can run both. Hence my reasoning that they will have to chose between the two in the very near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    I didn't know they were capable right now to run both. I thought they had the ability to upgrade their current WiMax to LTE. If they run both they would have build or buy duplicate hardware. Since they didn't I don't see hoow they can run both. Hence my reasoning that they will have to chose between the two in the very near future.
    just putting forth an option they could possibly do ! it would either be that or upgrade everyone that has an 4g wimax phone to an lte phone ? which would be cheaper ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    just putting forth an option they could possibly do ! it would either be that or upgrade everyone that has an 4g wimax phone to an lte phone ? which would be cheaper ??
    Yeah ...i understand the option part. But are they willing to stand by a tech (WiMax) that is not as fexable as LTE. And that will be adopted by all other carriers. It kinda like what HP did to the Sprint Pre. It (The Pre) wasn't or isn't capable of all the new tricks they want it to do and supporting it will slow or stop them from moving forward. What happens when manufactures start only wanting to make phones for LTE because WiMax is not moving like LTE will be. Also....this is a classic format battle between LTE and WiMax (like HD/DVD & BluRay) and manufactures are waiting to see what they need to build for.
    Dan Hesse, has even said that Sprint could easily make the switch from WiMAX to LTE if it was necessary

http://www.ppcgeeks.com/2010/05/21/s...ongside-wimax/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/15/s...to-six-months/
    Last edited by lazslo11; 02/15/2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: update
    its not a hard thing to do for them to switch to LTE , its actually quite easily done . and quickly as well
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    If moving to LTE is quick and easy for Sprint, then they should get moving.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If moving to LTE is quick and easy for Sprint, then they should get moving.
    It's not really as simple as that. I mean, yes, it's a relatively simple switch at the towers, from what I understand.

The problem is, it would make all of those 4G phones they've been selling for the past year effectively 3G only.

My guess is they'll switch to adding LTE to towers that aren't already using WiMax, and then a few years down the road switch over the WiMax towers that they own (obviously not the ClearWire ones) to LTE when less Evos are in use.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's not really as simple as that. I mean, yes, it's a relatively simple switch at the towers, from what I understand.

The problem is, it would make all of those 4G phones they've been selling for the past year effectively 3G only.

My guess is they'll switch to adding LTE to towers that aren't already using WiMax, and then a few years down the road switch over the WiMax towers that they own (obviously not the ClearWire ones) to LTE when less Evos are in use.
    Good point.
    Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

Sprint CEO Dan Hesse, speaking at CTIA this morning, made clear which 4G standard he thinks will be dominant in the future. And it's not the one his company uses.

Hesse's comment, that LTE will likely be the larger of the two 4G standards, came a day ofter Sprint announced the world's first ever 3G/4G phone, the HTC Evo. The issue: Sprint's desire to get a 4G foothold as soon as possible. While LTE might be the more popular 4G standard in the future (AT&T and Verizon are both backing it), WiMax was available now, with an established infrastructure from Sprint partner Clearwire. In Sprint's eyes, being first was more important than being biggest.

Is that going to hurt them in the long run? Unlikely. As Hesse also said, they can always add other technologies later if need be. And as Matt pointed out last year, the two technologies are actually remarkably similar and could someday be harmonized. Clearwire CEO Bill Morrow said much the same in his follow-up comments today: that the two networks have about 80% overlap, and that Clearwire will be ready, willing and able to offer LTE if and when it ever surpasses Wimax's capabilities.
    It's important to remember though that Hesse knew this would happen. Wimax was always about being first to market with 4G. As Verizon gets LTE, this advantage is going away and Sprint will change over.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    First to market. Great advertising I guess but CDMA+WiMAX = who want's to buy your phone? I will get only so-so Wimax coverage in the United States. There is no WiMAX in my town. At this point I don't want WiMAX at all in fact. If I get a phone with LTE then I may be able to get good coverage around the country and be somewhat "future proof".

I honestly think the market is going to VZ because they offer excellent coverage in the United States, pretty good 3G, and are using LTE. att offers international travelers with GSM, HSPA, and LTE (how soon, who knows). So, the jet-set tech probably stick to at&t while the national techies go with VZ.

To me buying a WiMAX phone is just limiting your options.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Am I correct in thinking the Pre3 will be GSM, CDMA, LTE? or is that False
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    An article from Engadget was just posted about this yesterday.

Sprint evaluating switch to LTE over the next four to six months -- Engadget