Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sprint has had an on again / off again relationship with LTE for some time now, but it looks it may finally be nearing a commitment one way or the other. Speaking in a roundtable discussion at Mobile World Congress this week, Sprint's Senior Vice President of Networks, Bob Azzi, said that the carrier would be studying the rate at which its customers migrate from EV-DO to mobile WiMAX over the next four to six months, and that it would evaluate the best way to use its existing spectrum before it reaches a firm decision on a possible switch to LTE. As we've heard previously, that switch would be a fairly straightforward one from a technical standpoint due to the carrier's recent upgrades to its network, which allow it to upgrade its gear to LTE simply by swapping in a new baseband card and issuing a software patch.

Sprint evaluating switch to LTE over the next four to six months -- Engadget
    sweet !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    GOOD!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Maybe HP/Palm has the right idea with focusing on LTE/HSPA+, as Wiimax has had poor real-world performance and hasn't been adapted as fast as those "for" the technology would have liked.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    What would this do to existing customers with wimax based phones?
    sprint has enough spectrum to have both lte and wimax networks at the same time if they have to but I'm sure if they did go with lte that they would either upgrade existing wimax phones or just keep a small part of the spectrum with wimax and phase out those phones .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    What would this do to existing customers with wimax based phones?
    My guess is treat us as people with 3G phones.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Sprint has had an on again / off again relationship with LTE for some time now, but it looks it may finally be nearing a commitment one way or the other. Speaking in a roundtable discussion at Mobile World Congress this week, Sprint's Senior Vice President of Networks, Bob Azzi, said that the carrier would be studying the rate at which its customers migrate from EV-DO to mobile WiMAX over the next four to six months, and that it would evaluate the best way to use its existing spectrum before it reaches a firm decision on a possible switch to LTE. As we've heard previously, that switch would be a fairly straightforward one from a technical standpoint due to the carrier's recent upgrades to its network, which allow it to upgrade its gear to LTE simply by swapping in a new baseband card and issuing a software patch.

Sprint evaluating switch to LTE over the next four to six months -- Engadget
    This is the first bit of rational/good news out of Sprint in a long time. Hopefully they'll wise up and switch to LTE as I believe they are the ONLY major carrier in the world that is trying to go the Wimax route. One in a string of poor decisions by Sprint.

I work for a test and measurement company. Over 2 years ago we pretty much stopped making any WiMax test equipment. All we are focusing on is LTE.

Sprint! If you are listening, SWITCH TO LTE!
    make an educated guess at least geesh
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    haha...either way, whatever. I get good speeds with wimax...but its a MUCH smarter idea to go LTE.

Imagine the roaming agreements in the USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    make an educated guess at least geesh
    It was educated. What do you think they will give us a replacement LTE phone? They will probably keep wimax for a while but not expand the wimax network anymore. Slowly phase out wimax and make those customers rely on 3G.
    If you read the link, they would use the same towers and just switch out their broadband card.

If its running at the same frequency i can't see why a software update on phones wouldn't allow it to run LTE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    sprint has enough spectrum to have both lte and wimax networks at the same time if they have to but I'm sure if they did go with lte that they would either upgrade existing wimax phones or just keep a small part of the spectrum with wimax and phase out those phones .

By upgrade would that mean swap or some software change. I wasn't clear if the phones could do both or if the WiMax hardware on the phones was specifically WiMax only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    If you read the link, they would use the same towers and just switch out their broadband card.

If its running at the same frequency i can't see why a software update on phones wouldn't allow it to run LTE.
    I was listning to a podcast on Engadget and they mentioned that they couldn't just update software on the phones to support LTE.
    Looks at evo....throws out the window.

...kills a small dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Looks at evo....throws out the window.

...kills a small dog.
    I really wish Sprint would have went with LTE instead of trying to be first to the "4G" market.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    It was educated. What do you think they will give us a replacement LTE phone? They will probably keep wimax for a while but not expand the wimax network anymore. Slowly phase out wimax and make those customers rely on 3G.
    http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...ml#post2871035
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Eh doesn't really bother me. I use 4G from time to time, but i'm not a road warrior. I mostly use it when in my bedroom since i have a bad connection from my wifi in there. Also, a change like this would happen far after i've already gotten a new phone. So i'll keep monitoring the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    By upgrade would that mean swap or some software change. I wasn't clear if the phones could do both or if the WiMax hardware on the phones was specifically WiMax only.
    if they go that route as in replacing peoples phones it would be one of equal to or of lessor value by their terms lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  20.    #20  
    maybe this is why the echo wasnt 4G WiMAX or maybe it was because it was the biggest Fail sandwich covered in Fail Sauce with a side of Fail fries...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast