Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    The AT&T plan you listed has only 550 shared minutes compared to Sprint's 1500. Yes, again Sprint hurts themselves by not having a lower rate plan to compete. You're really saving a lot by not using messaging, which is included on Sprint. Add messaging and GPS, both included on Sprint, and you break even.

Again Sprint hurts themselves by not offering lower rate plans, but again, I would consider this a rare scenario. Most people probably use messaging. Do the comparison again once you get your kids on your plan and you'll probably be wanting to head back to Sprint.
    I have always thought text charges are ridiculous and haven't wanted to pay them. I'm going to port my number to google voice and try that, I know it will have limitations, but I think as I will be pairing it with an Android phone it should work fine with the exception of MMS which I don't use either. As for GPS google navigator is free on android phones. I wouldn't pay for GPS either.

As for the kids, they can use cans and string
    My wife loves her Evo and I think it is pretty cool, but she hates the fact that there is no physical keyboard which drives me nuts too. I'm starting to hate the fact that I can't get a good signal on my Sprint Pre and even worst EVDO keeps dropping lately when I stream podcasts. It feels like the network is throttling me down lately. Plus, they are changing the Premier account and adding more charges for Internet. Last, but not least CDMA is an old technology and when I travel all I see is GSM Sim cards for dirt cheap.

So if the Pre 3 goes to Sprint I'll stay, but if it comes out on ATT, I'm leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    My wife loves her Evo and I think it is pretty cool, but she hates the fact that there is no physical keyboard which drives me nuts too. I'm starting to hate the fact that I can't get a good signal on my Sprint Pre and even worst EVDO keeps dropping lately when I stream podcasts. It feels like the network is throttling me down lately. Plus, they are changing the Premier account and adding more charges for Internet. Last, but not least CDMA is an old technology and when I travel all I see is GSM Sim cards for dirt cheap.
    Sounds like she got the wrong phone, if she wanted a keyboard. The CDMA vs. GSM part... They are both old technologies. GSM development begain in 1982, and the first GSM network was put into service in 1990. CDMA wasn't rolled out until '95. The reason GSM is so popular is because Europe--rather than allowing free-market competition--decided to mandate that all European carriers use GSM. In in other words CDMA isn't allowed in Europe. Doesn't make GSM better.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Sounds like she got the wrong phone, if she wanted a keyboard. The CDMA vs. GSM part... They are both old technologies. GSM development begain in 1982, and the first GSM network was put into service in 1990. CDMA wasn't rolled out until '95. The reason GSM is so popular is because Europe--rather than allowing free-market competition--decided to mandate that all European carriers use GSM. In in other words CDMA isn't allowed in Europe. Doesn't make GSM better.
    The fact that I can't swap a Sim card from phone to phone makes things very inconvenient for me.
    If my phone died and I needed to replace it. I may consider going to another carrier. But I don't think I'd make that move before I knew what Sprint and HPs plans were going to be. Not that I don't feel slighted by HP's decisions as of late. I jsut don't see how it would benefit me.
    Just_Jay
    In in other words CDMA isn't allowed in Europe. Doesn't make GSM better.
    No, the fact that you can access the internet while your on the phone makes it better. To be honest this has only come up a couple times for me, but when it does it sucks. Basically, it goes 'let me check something and I'll call you right back.'
    I think it is possible with wimax, but again, no sim swapping sucks.
    Ok lets me see..EVERYONE i call either has Verizon or i can add to my list of 10 friends and family

my current bill is 169 for 3 phones. 2 Pre Pluses 1 Razr I have 1400 mins (i have yet to use over 400 in a month)

Of course both Pre's have the 29.99 Data Plan
    I also have insurance on the 2 Pre's

Sprint

2 Pixi's 1 dumbphone

insurance on 2 phones

Montly charges is $183.98

i have a screen shot of the sprint if anyone wants to see it
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    I've been with Sprint for 9 years, but after comparing plans I'm going to be jumping to ATT soon, possibly when the Infuse comes out.
    Sprint is the best deal if you require all the features that the everything plan gives you, and you are also on a single plan.
    On a dual smart phone plan going with the cheapest plan and only 2GB plan per phone (I've averaged around 1GB with my Pre), and skipping texting plans, ( I don't text much and am going to port my number to google voice), ATT is significantly cheaper,
    Sprint: 2 person family $129+$10+$10=$149
    ATT: 2 person family $59+$25+$25=$109
    Not sure you are aware of this but on that ATT plan Night and Weekends are from 9:00 p.m. - 5:59 a.m. This will probably increase the amount of anytime minutes you use. Additional minutes are $0.45 per minute.

I hope the other person on your account doesn't text much either. Pricing is $0.20 per Text/Instant Message and $0.30 per Picture/Video. All of these charges are very minor, but add up very quickly.

Just be sure this is really what its going to cost you. One 60 min phone call over your 550 limit pretty much blows your savings.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitshifter1001 View Post
    Not sure you are aware of this but on that ATT plan Night and Weekends are from 9:00 p.m. - 5:59 a.m. This will probably increase the amount of anytime minutes you use. Additional minutes are $0.45 per minute.

I hope the other person on your account doesn't text much either. Pricing is $0.20 per Text/Instant Message and $0.30 per Picture/Video. All of these charges are very minor, but add up very quickly.

Just be sure this is really what its going to cost you. One 60 min phone call over your 550 limit pretty much blows your savings.
    I'm aware of the hours and charges, still shouldn't be a problem, if it is I could always bump up the minutes for $10 more per month, as for texting I'm going to port my number to google voice and keep using it so texting won't cost me anything. People won't be able to mms me as gv doesn't allow this, and they won't be able to send to my att number because they won't have it, but I seldom get those anyway. I would have to have some serious overages in a year to blow through the savings of $480 a year.
    billshrink.com

You can input your usage data or it can analyze your data directly from your carrier's website.
    Not at all. Even with the extra $10, Sprint still beats the other carriers--by a long shot. Go to the websites and compare similar plans with similar features, and see what the monthly charges end up being. Won't even be in the same ballpark, $10 add-on or not.
    My plan on ATT-

-22.49 (discount)

125.00 per month

My plan on Sprint

124.00 per month

I would dare say that it is smack dab in the middle of the park.

Either way, to each his own. I don't hate Sprint at all, just the phone selection. My choice. It may not be the same for others though, to which I say, good. Competition is good, so we need Sprint, Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile to do well.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I switched to T-Mobile with the Pre 2 and I'm saving money over what I had with Sprint. I'm paying $55 for 450 min and unlimited data. I don't need text because I use Google Voice. This is $15 cheaper a month than Sprint. Sprint is like the all you can eat buffet that is great if you're hungry, T-Mobile is like the bodega that has everything you need at a cheap price, if you don't go overboard.
  13.    #33  
    I can understand the first three, but show me a carrier that can compete with Sprint on pricing. And why would you call to cancel? You just abandoning your number? Most people cancel by porting their number to another carrier.
    I ran the numbers and compared my usage on my Sprint account. Come to find out, once military discount added, ill SAVE money on ATT and the plan Ill use. I thought I pounded out a ton of data a month, come to find out, its avg at 600mbs.

Maybe its me but I dont like paying for extra crap I dont need to. If Sprint didnt force you to pay for an allowance and that abortion known as Sprint TV, I might just stay and duke it out with an Evo. But in my eyes, the iPhone is the next best evil... this is coming from a guy that was an anti walking and talking iPhone ad.

Like Pogeypre said, its the phone selection that sucks. I also miss that I cant just pop out a SIM card and switch phones at whim.

Since I joined Sprint (at the time it had the best coverage) I wasnt impressed wiht the phone line up. I grabbed the HTC Touch, which ended up being a monsterous P.O.S. and almost instantly abandoned by the carrier and HTC. Not a single update was ever given. Not to mention I was lied to by Sprint & HTC that "GPS functionality will come soon in an update...". Which is the sole reason why I bought the damn phone. Wia a tick , thats funny, something like that happened recently... OH YEA I remember now. WebOS.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Steve Jobs may hype his product up, but at least he doesnt fragment and downright abandon his hardware. My buddy has a 3g iPhone, with the latest update of iOS on it.
    Last edited by remmy123; 02/15/2011 at 05:18 PM.
    HTC EVO still by far the best phone out there so unless they come out with something big or the iphone 5 im not upgrading anytime soon
    If this helps anyone... It's in sprints employee systems that they are looking to get 2 new devices from palm...it's just not in the sprint IConnect yet.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Every time I have called Sprint to "cancel", they have given me bigger discounts or even free stuff. YMMV, but over the last 12 years, Sprint has done right by me.
    Same here, 11 years going. We have one smartphone and one dumbphone, but we need the texting and unlimited data. I have yet to be charged for tethering (been tethering since my Samsung A500), but I don't get crazy with it. I do hate the 1500 minutes, although since I've been working from home more lately, I've actually put a bigger dent in it. The 25% discount doesn't hurt either, though I'm sure I could get close to it on another carrier. And now that it appears I still qualify for a yearly upgrade even with all the program changes, I'm probably more apt to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    Same here, 11 years going. We have one smartphone and one dumbphone, but we need the texting and unlimited data. I have yet to be charged for tethering (been tethering since my Samsung A500), but I don't get crazy with it. I do hate the 1500 minutes, although since I've been working from home more lately, I've actually put a bigger dent in it. The 25% discount doesn't hurt either, though I'm sure I could get close to it on another carrier. And now that it appears I still qualify for a yearly upgrade even with all the program changes, I'm probably more apt to stay.
    IMO that's the biggest difference. I don't mind the extra $10 as long as I've got a phone that can take advantage of all the data. It was great having the yearly upgrades, and I'm actually considering upping my plan by $10 to qualify for it. I have to do the math, but I think it still ends up being cheaper if you upgrade every year.
    I hear you guys saying you save money on T-Mo and AT&T compared to Sprint, but those plans do not come with a comparable amount of minutes. Again, it is indeed Sprint's fault for not offering plans with less minutes, but if you compare plans with similar amounts of minutes and then add the features that Sprint includes for free, then it's not in the same ballpark.

@Pogey You obviously get a greater discount with AT&T than you do with Sprint. Otherwise, Sprint would be much cheaper. Also you don't have n/w at 7, no AT&T nav,and no unlimited messaging.

I'm not saying people can't get a better deal for their specific needs on other carriers, but when you compare apples to apples, Sprint always comes ahead. If Sprint ever decides to give people more choice about how many minutes they want, they'll be impossible to beat.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    t-mobile and MetroPCS
    Does T-Mobile even have nationwide 3G coverage yet?
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Does T-Mobile even have nationwide 3G coverage yet?
    Their 3G coverage is equal to, if not better than AT&T's.
    Plus, their network isn't as bogged down when it comes to data, and pretty much everything is cheaper.
    Sprint has the least amount of 3G coverage when it comes to major US carriers, and Verizon has the most, if I recall correctly. T-Mobile and AT&T are the middle two.

Don't diss on T-Mobile, - the price is right, and the the network is good.

All they need is some webOS devices that work with their 3G/4G network!
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast