Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Technolog - Android and iPhone: It's a two-horse race

It's official there are only two mobile operating systems that matter right now. Even as underdog competitors march onto the field trumpeting enthusiastic comeback strategies, the big money is on Apple's iOS and Google's Android, the Mac and PC of the 21st century.
    No matter how much enthusiasm HP and Microsoft can drum up, their product lines are years behind the competition, and they currently sit on extremely minuscule market shares. Microsoft might get a big push from Nokia, but their joint products won't even come to market until 2012. Meanwhile RIM, former big cheese, is seeing its BlackBerry fortune fall fast. Though the PlayBook tablet may be the company's first buzz-worthy gadget in years, it comes with a strange requirement: To get full functionality out of it, you have to already use a BlackBerry. Preach to the choir much, RIM?
    By contrast, Apple and Google are hustling to reach new customers. The Android camp wants to get into the iPad business that, with over 14 million in sales in just 8 months, Apple proved to be viable. In the phone business, Apple is fighting to gain back its lead from Google. Not only is Apple finally supplying iPhones to a second U.S. carrier doubling its potential American customer base to roughly 190 million but it's rumored to be devising a cheaper iPhone that addresses Android's best asset: its relative cheapness.
    The main reason why these two will stay on top is half a million mobile apps, and counting.
    1: tech blogs don't make things official
    2: RIM is huge still because nobody other than them has enterprise down, this includes apple.

I think that as tech bloggers go josh topolsky had it right in the engadget podcast.

he said if hp can't make headway in the market with there new line up, then the os wars are basically over for now.
    In this business nothing is set in stone. A few years ago, apple and google weren't in the race. MS Nokia RIM and Palm were in it. Things fluctuate. End of story

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It is no longer little Palm anymore, we are now talking about HP, the largest computer company in the world with a global reach in both the personal and business computing sectors.
  5.    #5  
    Eventually the market will diwndle to 2-3 operating systems. thats usually the way it goes. I personally will not predict which 2-3 they are . too early to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It is no longer little Palm anymore, we are now talking about HP, the largest computer company in the world with a global reach in both the personal and business computing sectors.
    As opposed to the miniscule Nokia, which has been in a lengthy downward spiral, or the scrappy upstart RIM, which has done the exact same, marketshare wise?

Titans fail in this industry all of the time. HP's "global reach" and "size", thus far, has produced no faster execution than Palm, no better launch for products like the Palm Pre 2, or...much of anything.

Yet. This is most certainly subject to change, and I hope it does. I don't want a world with Android and Apple and nothing else. I love competition, and I want WebOS to be one of the competitors. But it aint...yet.

But even if it becomes a two-horse race...that will last for a number of years....and then things will change yet again.
    They could try licensing it as well. Or maybe they could shift it to an Enterprise-exclusive focus. There are options galore, and the good news is, none of them even have to be considered until we see how the first (and maybe second) wave of WebOS products do on the market. As that is several months away, for the foreseeable future, WebOS is secure and potentially..."a contenda".
  8.    #8  
    Nokia droppping there platform is an example of the contraction that will happen. there were alot of OS as phones started but now we are dealing with phones being more popular then home pc's and real Smartphones that are replacing PC's ( and tablets also replacing PC;'s) so the contraction will slowley start and 2-3 OS will survive. Its how it happens with all things. Toy stores . ( KB disapeared leaving Toys R US and WalMart) . Its just the evolution of things. you have a bunch until there is consolidation.

I personally think windows or RIM will both fall . I think webos becasue of the terrific tablet will survive as a niche OS in tablets not sure about phones . I dont have faith in WM or RIm (my opinion only).
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 02/15/2011 at 10:40 AM.
    There are only two car manufacturers, Ford and Chevy... no wait, there is only one TV maker... RCA.... no that doesn't work either...

There are only two athletic shoe makers... Nike and Reebok...

There are never just two... unless we are talking politics... which we're not.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

10.    #10  
    I agree thats why I said 2-3 maybe 4 but consolidation will happen. It always does especially something like a operating system where it gets ridiculous when theres more then 2-3. you want to be able to run the same apps as everyone else. having 6-7 OS for phones would never happen. it will be Two or Three Phone OS's in 3-5 years. I remember when i was younger there were more auto companies. some went bancrupt and some consolidated . weve seen 2-3 car companies disapear in just the last 2 years. ( saturn etc) and sneakers . Nike and addidas and Reebok have 70% of the market and the rest share the 30% . Sneakers are a good example, 3 companies domiante the market.

I can see something like Microsoft buying/aquiring RIm and then you would have a bigger better WM and you would be down to 4 ( Android-Ios-WM-Webos) . I remember 4 years ago all the executives at my company had Blackberries. 2 years ago I saw them with Iphones and last board meeting it was a mix of Androids and Iphones. No Blackberries anymore. Why i see RIM as the first to drop. I think WEBOS will survive ( as long as the tablet does well and I think it will, Webos is too good a OS to just go away)
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 02/15/2011 at 11:03 AM.
    apparently Nokia agrees with this.

so the question is whether RIM, Microsoft, and Palm can prove him wrong.
    Yeah, the real one to be worried about is RIM. They let the world pass them by. Their playbook looks nice, but my goodness, if I had RIM stock I would consider selling now.

(Now that I said that, watch RIM go through a renaissance and hit all new highs.)

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    That article also bases alot of it's information from a survey from Appcelerator that was taken in January of this year. Let's think about this. None of HP's future products had even been introduced at this time. There plan to get developers on board had not been discussed yet. Is it going to be an uphill battle, yes. Is it impossible, no. I'm sure many people never thought that Android would ever catch up to Apple, and now it is starting to surpass it. Engadget even admitted in there podcast that traffic on Febuary 9th of HP's announcement was almost as busy as an Apple event day. There may be two horses out in front but webOS got a new jockey that has enough power to lighten there load so that they can sprint a whole lot faster.
    merged.

16.    #16  
    Wow thats interesting. I just dont see RIM as the three( I saw IOS-Android and WM with Webos number 4 becasue of tablets) but they know more then me. but what does that say about webos when Sprint and Verizon dont treat it like a contender. food for thought on my accesment of webos as the number 4 i guess. Still cant see RIM sticking and webos going away. Webos is wat better then RIM but then again no one uses Webos so i guess its hard to see where this is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    Sprint:

[Android isn't] "good enough to put the Sprint brand on."

Today Android is their $#1 priority.

Things can change, this means nothing. It's all up to HP. Unfortunately that doesn't leave me feeling too confident but at least the opportunity is there, no one is closing the door on them right away. The industry wants HPalm to succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    There are only two car manufacturers, Ford and Chevy... no wait, there is only one TV maker... RCA.... no that doesn't work either...

There are only two athletic shoe makers... Nike and Reebok...

There are never just two... unless we are talking politics... which we're not.
    It's not a brand. If you compare to car, there's only combustion, hybrid and electrify available now. 3 type of engines and Manu different brands.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Sprint:

[Android isn't] "good enough to put the Sprint brand on."

Today Android is their $#1 priority.

Things can change, this means nothing. It's all up to HP. Unfortunately that doesn't leave me feeling too confident but at least the opportunity is there, no one is closing the door on them right away. The industry wants HPalm to succeed.
    In principle, I agree. There is a significant difference, tho. The WebOS brand started as more than good enough for Sprint, then fell out of favor. While Sprint (I believe) will give them another chance, there is baggage now, and Sprint has already stated that at least 70 percent of their lineup for this year will be Android, so that's their priority. Might that change in 2012? Sure. It's...possible. But that is a LONG time for WP7, Android, RIM and (possibly) iOS to strengthen their positions on Sprint relative to HP.
    I still see more then just 3 leaders in the smartphone game. Def since there are still alot of potential customers out there that still use feature phones. Android and IOS yes they will be the market leaders for a while, as I see RIM slipping further and further in the smartphone race, and WP7 and Webos gaining ground in the next few years.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast