1.    #1  
    Dear Sprint,

Hear me now and believe me later - you may have actually placed me in a good position.

See, you have this really neat program that's kept folks like me around a long time (11 years, in my case). Every year, I'm eligible for a substantial discount on your phones. That's every year instead of every two years. Of course, the fine print on the agreement is the hook - you do this to get folks like me to sign a new 2 year contract every year. That way, we're never out of contract, which makes "I'm going to stomp my feet, and take my $1200+ per year elsewhere" sort of an empty threat. Or maybe only a semi-empty threat. But, you get my point. It's your program, you know the reason for it.

But then last year, I kept putting off getting a new phone because each time I asked (and I asked, in writing, three times) about the Pre 2 - instead of telling me "no", you told me you were evaluating the situation, and to keep watching.

I did. Had you simply said "no", I might have paid an ETF and left, so I sort of understand your reasoning. At the same time, I might have decided I like your prices, don't want to hassle with an ETF, and just got an Evo.

Now, here we are. When the Pre 3 is available, I will either be out of contract completely, or close to it. The Evo is now a year old, and your new flagship - well, let's not go there.

So, you've done a bad thing for service provider to do with a customer. You've put me in a power position, where I can get the phone I want without worrying about breaking a contract.

I may even ask them about "new customer discount", if I have to leave.

I know, I know, I'm probably just looking at the glass half full instead of half empty, but come this summer, I going to take the glass and drink it down. I'm most likely going to have a new Pre 3, the vendor is what's up in the air.

After my Pre 3, my wife will also be buying one (though I'm not sure, because she's also eyeing the Veer), and at least one of us, probably both, will be buying tablets. Think what all this means. Someone is going to sell devices, and services for them, to us.

Don't think of it as a disgruntled, weary customer leaving, think of it as about $280 a month leaving.

Can you hear me now?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I wish I could write this letter, but I'm too cheap. I'm spending $115 a month for the 1500 Everything Data plan after taxes for 2 phones. I think I can get close on T-Mobile, but close isn't the same, and who really wants T-Mobile? Oh well, maybe Sprint will get a new webOS phone before I die...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    But then last year, I kept putting off getting a new phone because each time I asked (and I asked, in writing, three times) about the Pre 2 - instead of telling me "no", you told me you were evaluating the situation, and to keep watching.
    There's your problem, expecting to get any sort of specific answer from a Sprint rep before an official announcement was made. You wrote them three times, and each time I am certain they gave you a nice fluffy non-answer neither confirming or denying the possibility of a future Palm device. If someone had told you "no" (or "yes") before any official decision was released, then they would have risked losing their job.
    Touchscreens are a fad.