Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After sticking with Sprint since 2005, I'm thinking of perhaps switching to Verizon. This is for a variety of reasons, first being 4G, their implementation seems superior and growing (700 Mhz vs 2500 Mhz). Also, their vast customer base ensures they'll keep getting new phones and won't go under anytime soon. (I'm not saying Sprint will go under but Verizon IS doing better than Sprint financially)

However, I will only do this if I can around the same price/month on Verizon that I pay on Sprint. I have a Pre and after a 23% discount (Alliant member), I pay around $55 before taxes and additional fees. I understand Sprint's tacking on a $10 fee for devices that use more data, so the maximum I'm willing to is around $65 before taxes and surcharges.

I was wondering if there are any similarly priced plans (I don't care about unlimited cell-to-cell, 450 mins is good enough for me) with discounts on Verizon?
    For a 450 minute plan with smartphone data, the cheapest you can get is $69.99 a month. And that means no included text messaging (pay per message), no insurance and no navigation.

So unless you can find a decent discount with VZW, I think you're best bet is to stick with Sprint, especially if you use text messaging and navigation. Adding those to the VZW plan adds at minimum an extra $15 a month, and that's for only 250 messages. Add another $5 and you can get unlimited VZW to VZW messages and 500 out-of-network messages. That'd be $89 a month.

Sprint's plans include unlimited messaging regardless of network and GPS at no additional cost. VZW really gets you with the nickel-and-diming.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    For a 450 minute plan with smartphone data, the cheapest you can get is $69.99 a month. And that means no included text messaging (pay per message), no insurance and no navigation.

So unless you can find a decent discount with VZW, I think you're best bet is to stick with Sprint, especially if you use text messaging and navigation. Adding those to the VZW plan adds at minimum an extra $15 a month, and that's for only 250 messages. Add another $5 and you can get unlimited VZW to VZW messages and 500 out-of-network messages. That'd be $89 a month.

Sprint's plans include unlimited messaging regardless of network and GPS at no additional cost. VZW really gets you with the nickel-and-diming.
    And unlimited data....$29.99
    Navigation................$9.99

Grand total $129
    It never ceases to amaze me that so many people are willingly spending more for less on Verizon. I mean, sure...Sprint needs some work and they're far from perfect...but really? Why does anyone pay so much for a Verizon plan? And please...don't say "iPhone". That doesn't explain the years and years of continued growth.
    A friend got:

900 min
    250 text
    unlimited data
    5 friends and family
    for $95 before taxes and fee
    For some it's a matter of coverage. I recently moved from a city where the Sprint broadband coverage was so terrible, the store just flat out said they wouldn't sell the PC USB cards to anyone. But Verizon worked fine, so we stuck with them.

Plus I have so many friends and family on Verizon, it just makes sense to stay with them. (We chose Verizon before Sprint had added their any mobile deal. But still, that only applies when not roaming, and who wants to keep track of where you can be to call so-and-so's cell phone?)

And we get a nice discount through a company program.

And they give me 5GB tether per month free on my Pre.

So that's pretty much why we stay.
    why do you guys always add the 9.99 nav fees, when you could just use google nav for free? isnt Verizon similar priced now with the 10 add on fee with sprint?
    Using any of the "Nav" apps vs Google Maps for directions while driving is night and day difference...

Have you used either to get to somewhere? Where you DIDN'T know the directions beforehand/any other way?

Trust me, I used to think the same thing "Google Maps is more than enough for me", until I actually used Sprint Nav for when I needed it...
    no, i'm saying the google nav that comes with android, that one works really good as a turn by turn directions and its free. im on sprint but im thinking about switching as well
    Quote Originally Posted by omgitsjordan View Post
    no, i'm saying the google nav that comes with android, that one works really good as a turn by turn directions and its free. im on sprint but im thinking about switching as well
    Verizon typically locks the GPS on their phones so that without verizon navigator it takes 3-5 minutes for GPS to get a lock. Good luck trying google maps with that.
    Also, Sprint Plan gives you unlimited mobile ot ANY mobile AND nights start at 7. First one is not an option on verizon and the 2nd costs $10.
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    We chose Verizon before Sprint had added their any mobile deal. But still, that only applies when not roaming, and who wants to keep track of where you can be to call so-and-so's cell phone?
    I'm not sure what the Verizon rep told you, but there is nothing in Sprint's ToS that negates Any Mobile Any Time while roaming. And Sprint does not charge for roaming.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post

Grand total $129
    that $10 charge doesn't look so bad in comparison. How much data does the standard Verizon plan give you.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post

Grand total $129
    Err, no. The $70 plan he cited includes unlimited smartphone data.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Verizon typically locks the GPS on their phones so that without verizon navigator it takes 3-5 minutes for GPS to get a lock. Good luck trying google maps with that.
    They only locked up AGPS on webOS devices. Android and all other platforms' GPS works great.
    why do you guys always add the 9.99 nav fees, when you could just use google nav for free?
    Personally I prefer any nav app over Google's. It's nice to have it as a free app, but the computer-generated voice really grinds on my nerves. YMMV

isnt Verizon similar priced now with the 10 add on fee with sprint?
    Nope, not when you add the same features to a Verizon plan that you get with Sprint for free. Not even in the same ballpark.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Nope, not when you add the same features to a Verizon plan that you get with Sprint for free. Not even in the same ballpark.
    Correct...

I did some price comparison this month in an attempt to save money.

We have a family plan with four lines with Sprint for around $190 / month.

If you go to Verizon, Att, or Tmobile and add alllll the features we have...

Unlimited data, 1500 ish minutes, unlimited texts, 4g capable, insurance...

The cheapest comparison was around $240 and that was Tmobile. [way less coverage]

When it comes to price...there's just no comparison to Sprint.
    Personally I prefer any nav app over Google's. It's nice to have it as a free app, but the computer-generated voice really grinds on my nerves. YMMV

the plans on att and verizon and t-mobile that have the same as or as close as possible to sprint are at the least 20 more up to at least 40 or so . i pay 80 a month for the 450 unlimited plan and thats with a 10% dicount and also with the 7 insurance , cant beat that with a stick except for those with a bigger discount !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that so many people are willingly spending more for less on Verizon. I mean, sure...Sprint needs some work and they're far from perfect...but really? Why does anyone pay so much for a Verizon plan? And please...don't say "iPhone". That doesn't explain the years and years of continued growth.
    Family plans are pretty competitive. AT&T has the same price plans but worse cell service. Why do people pay so much for AT&T? And Sprint in my area is horrible. Whats the point of me paying $50/month for a service i can barely use?
    Quote Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post
    Family plans are pretty competitive. AT&T has the same price plans but worse cell service. Why do people pay so much for AT&T? And Sprint in my area is horrible. Whats the point of me paying $50/month for a service i can barely use?

You're right, if you don't get coverage then its a no brainer.
    But all things being equal then Sprint blows Verizon out of the water!
    I used to be a 10 year Verizon customer, I'll never go back.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast