Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It depends pretty heavily on where you spend your time. If you spend a LOT of time outside major cities then you're either going to want Verizon or a regional carrier. Unfortunately the regional carriers often don't have the really good devices on their networks, mostly BB, WinMo, and a few cheap Androids.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that so many people are willingly spending more for less on Verizon. I mean, sure...Sprint needs some work and they're far from perfect...but really? Why does anyone pay so much for a Verizon plan?
    I don't want navigation on my cell phone; I have a PND that is much better than anything on the Pre. I don't need a text messaging plan, because I rarely send them (everyone I frequently send messages to has a smartphone). For me, Verizon is $69.99. Sprint is $79.99.

Also, Verizon's coverage is better.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    It also depends on how you use your phone. I mostly use my phone for web access anywhere I go, I don't make a lot of calls or texts on it. So with Sprint's new $10 charge, I'll be able to get a similar plan at Verizon, but with far better coverage. Sprint's coverage in Virginia is crap, period.

$40: 450 minutes
    $30: Unlimited Data
    $5: 250 texts
    ------------------
    $75

VZ Nav is an extra $10 and I get a 17% discount there, Sprint charges me an extra $5 because I had no credit when I signed up and gives me a 23% discount.

So basically, I'm staying with Sprint until I get ready to upgrade in the summer.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I tried going the Sprint route, but it wasn't hardly any cheaper for my family. The main reason, Sprint won't let you have data on one phone and not on another within a family plan. At least, that was what the rep told me. And, you don't get the Navigation unless you have the full data plan. There is no mix and match. With Verizon, the data cost is per phone. Now, I will say that if all the phones were smartphones with full data, Sprint was better by a decent margin. But we don't need that. So, we did not move to Sprint. And that was about a week before they announced the new $10 data fee for smartphones.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I've also been with Sprint since 2005, and I always balk at giving up relationships I've nurtured and price deals I'm regularly able to negotiate. Associates at 2 stores I visit are sharp and always support my creative use of devices. And I've stayed mostly because Sprint is always Fast Enough for me and is super reliable all around. Our needs and wants vary for all of us and across time. Make sure you don't give up too much, and good luck in any event.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I tried going the Sprint route, but it wasn't hardly any cheaper for my family. The main reason, Sprint won't let you have data on one phone and not on another within a family plan. At least, that was what the rep told me. And, you don't get the Navigation unless you have the full data plan. There is no mix and match. With Verizon, the data cost is per phone. Now, I will say that if all the phones were smartphones with full data, Sprint was better by a decent margin. But we don't need that. So, we did not move to Sprint. And that was about a week before they announced the new $10 data fee for smartphones.
    Sprint's family plan i.e. $129.99 for two phones, 1500 minutes INCLUDES data which means your wife could have gotten a smart phone as well at no additional cost per month. Verizon's requires $30 additional for the 2nd phone.
    Navigation is a non-issue for me. We got a Garmin a while back as a gift, so the few times GPS navigation is necessary, my phone battery can rest easy.

As for family plan pricing...it's really no contest. With Sprint we have the Everything Data 1500 plan with 2 lines. I get a modest discount, but even without it I would pay less with Sprint than for the most comparable setup on Verizon.

$130 on Sprint vs. $172 on Verizon.

Currently, my wife just has a pretty basic flip phone...and only occasionally uses data. We text a lot, though...so I put in the Talk + Text plan with 1400 minutes. I then put in a feature phone with limited data ($10/month) and a smartphone with unlimited data ($30/month)...both just freebies to eliminate the phone cost from the equation. Insurance on the smartphone and limited insurance on hers (she's rough on her phones...already replaced the current one twice).

Here's what I got on Verizon's site. Even taking insurance out of the equation and changing her data to "per use", Verizon is STILL more expensive.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/786/verizonsetup.png

Now...factor in both of us having smartphones and adding in the $10/line/month fee. I would want higher coverage for both phones and the $30/month fee would then apply to both phones.

$150/month on Sprint vs. $194/month on Verizon.

Sprint still wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Sprint's family plan i.e. $129.99 for two phones, 1500 minutes INCLUDES data which means your wife could have gotten a smart phone as well at no additional cost per month. Verizon's requires $30 additional for the 2nd phone.
    There are 3 phones. We wanted to switch to Sprint for two reasons, lower cost, and navigation. Turned out navigation was only available if you had the full data package. Since all phones had to have full data package, the cost, even with a 20% discount (because I belong to a Credit Union...or because I'm still breathing...one of those reasons! ) was slightly more than what we had with verizon. We really didn't need 3 smartphones, but I wanted my daughter in college to have the navigation...so the sales rep did what she could, and we ended up with a plan that would cost more. Yes, we would get a lot more for the money, but we didn't need a lot more. And say what you will about Sprint coverage, and being able to roam both voice and data on Verizon towers (is that true, you get to roam data too? I've heard conflicting answers on that one), Verizon has more coverage.

So, at the end of the day, there was no compelling reason to switch (remember, cost was key). I may just get a stand alone Garmin or Tom Tom navigation unit for my daughter.

EDIT: There was also texting and unlimited web mail (google mail) and a small amount (250 MB a month I think) of data for web surfing in there at Verizon, and the flexibility with the Sprint plan didn't allow for us to get something comparable without going for the full data plan. I'm sorry, but for our situation, it did not pan out. It may be the issue is after 2 phones on a family plan, and you only need substantial data plan on one, the Sprint plan's lack of flexibility on data plans per phone creates the problem here. The old adage applies here, at least to me...YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY...

One more thing. My phone is separate (supplied by work) and on Verizon. Although my family could call me with unlimited minutes, my verizon minutes would get used up quicker and my office might start billing me for using up my minutes and costing them more.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 03/01/2011 at 10:29 AM.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I may just get a stand alone Garmin or Tom Tom navigation unit for my daughter.
    We really like ours. Folks say they're a dying beast with the smartphone options out there, but you just outlined a pretty good reason to have a standalone option.

Also, my example above only took two lines into account. Adding lines to Sprint may very well change the competitiveness.
    We really like ours. Folks say they're a dying beast with the smartphone options out there, but you just outlined a pretty good reason to have a standalone option.

Also, my example above only took two lines into account. Adding lines to Sprint may very well change the competitiveness.
    Should my work supplied Verizon phone ever go away, I'm guessing I will 'need' a Pre3 or other smart phone, so then we may have to take the Sprint plunge and it may make more economic sense in that situation. Of course, getting all our phones contracts to end about the same time...that is difficult!

Oh, I forgot to mention that one of my daughter's phones isn't up for renewal until October...so an early termination fee would apply, driving the cost up at the outset. I'm hoping the other two phones hold up until then...re-evaluation in October may show different results!

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I recently did a price comparison of Sprint vs Verizon. We have 1500 minutes plus unlimited messaging and data, plus insurance on the two Pre's. Sprint is something in the neighborhood of $40/month cheaper for us with the equivalent features.

I looked at AT&T this weekend. Work is switching BB service to them, and we will get a 25% discount. The lack of unlimited data is pretty much a deal breaker. I come way too close to (and sometimes exceed) the 4GB/month on ATT.

I do get marginally better coverage with Verizon, but that is mainly an issue when we travel to family in North Texas, since I use mostly backroads. So I roam on Verizon and every once in awhile I get EVDO while roaming.

Interestingly, neither VZW (when we were on them) nor Sprint gives me service when I am inside a Target store, *any* Target, regardless of location. I always roam and have a weak signal to boot, but I have no clue what network we roam on, since I romaned on VZW and I roam now on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Interestingly, neither VZW (when we were on them) nor Sprint gives me service when I am inside a Target store, *any* Target, regardless of location. I always roam and have a weak signal to boot, but I have no clue what network we roam on, since I romaned on VZW and I roam now on Sprint.
    I have this problem in about half the Targets I go into. Really...half the "big box" stores I'm in.
    Guys no offense, but i do own a Verizon Store, and ive worked for all of the 4 Main Carriers. But Verizon is always gonna be more expensive. We know that. We don't even try to compete with Sprint or Tmobile. We never did and never will.

Our only real competitor is AT&T. If you compare our prices with AT&T its almost exactly the same, except there service is worse. Really its shocking to me that 60 Million people use AT&T.
    Also it only starts to get cheaper when you add in multiple lines. On my family's acct they have 3 smart phones, 1 feature phone, unlimited texts, 2000 minutes, Data on 3 phones, with a 19% discount and their bill is around $250/month with taxes.
    Also not everyone needs/wants data. The everything messaging plan w/ 450 minutes is $50, Verizon's is $60. Verizon Everything messaging family is $100, Verizon is $120.

Most of my customers for $10-$20 honestly don't care. They do however, get extremely ****ed when they dropped calls.

Ive had ton of customers switch to verizon from metropcs, sprint, tmobile, at&t. And their happy to pay $10-$20 more per month to have gr8 service everywhere they go and deal with one of the best customer service departments out there. Sorry but sprint and tmobile have the worst customer service departments IMHO. AT&T's CS is pretty good since they just love to give away free money/credits lol
    Quote Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post
    Guys no offense, but i do own a Verizon Store, and ive worked for all of the 4 Main Carriers. But Verizon is always gonna be more expensive. We know that. We don't even try to compete with Sprint or Tmobile. We never did and never will.

Our only real competitor is AT&T. If you compare our prices with AT&T its almost exactly the same, except there service is worse. Really its shocking to me that 60 Million people use AT&T.
    Well, as a Sprint customer who has had virtually zero complaints about coverage (except in the previously mentioned big box stores and the occasional jaunts into the boonies), ALL I am willing to consider as a comparison at this time is pricing...so to me, they ARE Verizon competition.

As for AT&T, well...that's kind of a no-brainer. They had a five-year head start with iPhone, a built-in customer base with Cingular and the other carriers they bought, and even that whole simultaneous voice/data thing that some people swear by (though I don't think it would influence my decision at all).

Don't forget Verizon also had the annoying "can you hear me now" guy in all their ads for far longer than they should have.

As for customer service...well...I've had virtually zero need for real support in the almost ten years I've been with Sprint. As strange as it may sound, it is not a factor in my decision.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Don't forget Verizon also had the annoying "can you hear me now" guy in all their ads for far longer than they should have.
    The iPhone commercial is the only recent one he's been in. I'll take Paul Marcarelli over the insufferable Luke Wilson any day.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I have this problem in about half the Targets I go into. Really...half the "big box" stores I'm in.
    Oddly enough, I've never had a problem, either carrier, with Walmart, or Sams's, or Costco. Same goes for malls. Or other large standalone stores.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Well, as a Sprint customer who has had virtually zero complaints about coverage (except in the previously mentioned big box stores and the occasional jaunts into the boonies), ALL I am willing to consider as a comparison at this time is pricing...so to me, they ARE Verizon competition.

As for AT&T, well...that's kind of a no-brainer. They had a five-year head start with iPhone, a built-in customer base with Cingular and the other carriers they bought, and even that whole simultaneous voice/data thing that some people swear by (though I don't think it would influence my decision at all).

As for customer service...well...I've had virtually zero need for real support in the almost ten years I've been with Sprint. As strange as it may sound, it is not a factor in my decision.
    Over the years, through acquisitions and 2 switches, I have had 4 carriers. I can probably count on one hand (two at most) the number of times I have had to call customer service. Drop that down to nill if you ignore billing questions the first month or two on a new plan.

I started with Houston Cellular, which was a regional partnership between ATT and Southwestern Bell. Eventually ATT dropped out and Houston Cellular was swallowed up into Cingular. My switch from Cingular to VZW was done solely because I needed new phones (getting new batteries for feature phones when I was eligible for upgrade didn't make financial sense) when Cingular was making the move from TDMA to GSM. They only had one or two phones that supported both (and they were legacy devices), and I needed the TDMA support for trips to visit family. Rather than being stuck for 2 years with a phone I didn't want, I moved to my wife and my accounts to a family plan on VZW. The switch from VZW happened because I was ready for a smartphone, and I didn't like VZW's Blackberry offerings, and they didn't have anything Android (I think ATT and TMobile were it at the time), but I remembered that Sprint had this new Palm phone that ran on Linux...

So, switching carriers has been about phone selection for me in both instances. If I leave Sprint, it will likely be to follow the Pre 3, although I will have to think long and hard about it. So hopefully Sprint will carry it and I won't have to make the decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    So, switching carriers has been about phone selection for me in both instances. If I leave Sprint, it will likely be to follow the Pre 3, although I will have to think long and hard about it. So hopefully Sprint will carry it and I won't have to make the decision.
    Well...that's one aspect that I think Sprint has always been somewhat behind in...phone selection. Every so often they get a boost - the Evo being the most recent example - yet I'd agree that Verizon and AT&T do have a better variety and well-rounded selection of devices. Personally, even with that fact, though, I have always been able to find a device I'm content with. I do hope the Pre3 comes to Sprint, but it still may not be a deal-breaker for me if they don't. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast