Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I have a Pre+ and love it. Sure, I would like a better keyboard (keys stick), better camera, and better battery life but otherwise it I love it.

    I was very excited to see the Pre3 announcement, and the rumor it would be a Verizon phone. I don't mind waiting. I can be very patient if I have a good reason. I care far more about function than what is cool or the latest toy.

    Then today I got an email that the Pre2 is available for pre-order on Verizon. $100 with a 2 yr contract.

    Now I'm not sure what to do - grab the Pre2 now or wait of the Pre3 (and whatever "something special" HP is doing for the older handset owners). I thought I would throw this out and see what you would do & why.

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitxitxita View Post
    I have a Pre+ and love it. Sure, I would like a better keyboard (keys stick), better camera, and better battery life but otherwise it I love it.

    I was very excited to see the Pre3 announcement, and the rumor it would be a Verizon phone. I don't mind waiting. I can be very patient if I have a good reason. I care far more about function than what is cool or the latest toy.

    Then today I got an email that the Pre2 is available for pre-order on Verizon. $100 with a 2 yr contract.

    Now I'm not sure what to do - grab the Pre2 now or wait of the Pre3 (and whatever "something special" HP is doing for the older handset owners). I thought I would throw this out and see what you would do & why.

    Thanks
    Hmm. Did not get any emails, but then why you need pre2 when 3 is coming? Unless ur current pre is dieng?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3. #3  
    I'm in the same boat. I've decided my Pre+ with F105 is as good as the Pre2. If I get another WebOS device it'll prob be the Pre3.
  4. #4  
    if you NEED to upgrade, grab it. If you don't need to, or really want a bigger screen, you should wait. What is making you think about upgrading?
  5. #5  
    I dont know why you would upgrade now. If you love your Pre Plus, keep it til the summer. I still have another year on my contract so the only way I am getting another phone is buying the pre 3 off contract, which will probably be too much for me. Or try and get the Pre 2 off contract which might be cheaper. Either way, I would like either phone before I can actually upgrade.
  6. JJCook's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    #6  
    My contract is up in September. I think the timing will be just right for Pre 3 or something else that might come our way!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the response. I'm thinking about an upgrade because I am not happy with the keyboard, battery life & camera. These are things I notice daily/weekly. I am happy enough in general that I don't want to move to another os.

    I'm just not sure what the difference is in real world terms between the 2 & 3. If the 3 is really that much more functional, then it might be worth the wait. If it is matter of some technical differences that really don't affect the functionality on a day to day basis then why not go with the Pre 2?

    Anyone know if all my current apps will work with Webos 2? What about patches? I have a number of them that I really like - 5X4 icons, mark email unread, Named pages, slider ends calls, battery %, etc (all things that should be built in IMHO)

    @hk-usp45- you're right, it wasn't an email from Verizon, it was an emailed alert - here is the actual link tho - Smartphone Sale!
  8. shrxwin's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    #8  
    from what I've read in posts from those that handled the Pre3 on Weds and the pictures I believe the keyboard improvements are worth waiting for the Pre3. well that and my contract has 11 more months good luck with your decision!
  9. #9  
    well i would wait out the pre3 personally ! im waiting to see what carrier's it lands on then i will migrate that direction. also know the pre3 is alot better in terms of hardware auto focus camera and compass and larger screen and bigger keyboard . its a monster compared to what we have now in those terms !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  10. mrtonk's Avatar
    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #10  
    I'm a bit jealous - I would be perfectly happy with a Pre2, but I don't qualify for the $100 pricing for another eight months. Guess I will be forced to wait for the Pre3.
  11. #11  
    I've got until January 2012 before I can make a choice. You said that the camera and keyboard were going bad on the palm pre +. Well, the Palm Pre 3 will definitely improve on both. The thing is I don't really know what carrier it's going to. I also don't know what other HPalm phones will be showing up on the way before Summer. Also, I'm not really sure what patches will no longer work with the Webos 2. I would also wait a little bit just in case HP has an "Oprah Moment." I would wait.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    well i would wait out the pre3 personally ! im waiting to see what carrier's it lands on then i will migrate that direction. also know the pre3 is alot better in terms of hardware auto focus camera and compass and larger screen and bigger keyboard . its a monster compared to what we have now in those terms !!
    I really don't have a choice of carriers - and envy those who do. ATT had 1-2 dropped calls *daily* on less than 300 min/mo, Sprint gets no signal at home, I don't know anyone with TMobile here...I assume there is a reason. A few folks have smaller carriers, but none of them are very happy with the service, they just love the price. I mean bottom line it has to function as a phone first & foremost, right?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by artwest50 View Post
    I would also wait a little bit just in case HP has an "Oprah Moment." I would wait.
    That's kinda where I've been leaning...not that I expect it to happen. So far no one has presented a compelling reason to jump now, and I can live with what I have. So I'm thinking....

    It won't get any worse, it might get better. I'll just hang around and wait to see what happens. If my Pre get unworkable, I can always jump then to what's out there at the time.
  14. #14  
    Given the promise of "something special" for existing owners I'd wait at least until that surfaces. Keep in mind also that with Verizon's new terms there will no longer be discounts for early upgrades after your next upgrade.

    I probably won't wait because I have no smartphone right now and there's no telling when VZW will get around to carrying the Pre3.
  15. FDP
    FDP is offline
    FDP's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    #15  
    Since the iPhone announcement Verizon has changed their upgrade policy (months after the Pre 2 was supposed to surface). Now you have to wait 22 months before getting a phone upgrade.

    The Pre 2 retails for $450 (despite the MSRP of $650), and is $100/$150 on contract (depending on how stupid you are). That's $300-$350 off retail price for a 22 month commitment. One can assume that the Pre 3 will have a higher retail value (due to higher specs, larger screen, etc), probably in the $550 to $650 range, but they'd be hard pressed to sell it for more than $200.

    If you buy the Pre 2 on contract you will almost definitely end up paying more in total with the retail Palm 3 (which will probably rear it's ugly head in 6 months, so you'd be 16 months away from being able to get it at a reasonable price). If you buy the Pre 2 retail you will probably end up paying less, but you will still be shoveling out ~$650+ for the right to be an ***** and stick with a company that devises not-so-clever ways to rape your wallet and treat you like crap. Of course, the decision is yours.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks FDP for pointing out the money angle - one which I had been overlooking. I should look at the numbers vs benefits and see what the bottom line costs will be and what function I will get for the dollar.

    As for sticking "with a company that devises not-so-clever ways to rape your wallet and treat you like crap" - I don't see that there is a logical option out there. In an earlier post I explained why Verizon is really the only option that makes sense for me. I don't see Verizon as being any more evil than their competitors - I hear similar complaints about all the major companies. Of course the same can be said of house phone providers, TV (cable, dish, etc) providers, and any number of other similar industries.

    For those who live in different places, or have different needs - it's great they have more choices.
  17. FDP
    FDP is offline
    FDP's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    #17  
    I like Verizon - although not these recent policies aimed at fleecing people who desperately want iPhones and making the contract worse for the rest of us in the process. My ire was leveraged at HP/Palm, who have put everyone in this position by marketing the Pre 2 as if it was a flagship with no upcoming replacement.

    They really should have priced the Pre 2 in an affordable way for off-contract purchase, not created a dilemma for their customers. I loved everything about the Pre 2 when it was announced way back when, but have watched the reality of the situation change and continuously get worse. Now it's:
    A.) spend ~$650+ buying both phones
    B.) Commit to the Pre 2 for 2 years (when it is 6 months behind the curve already)
    C.) Wait for the Pre 3, which is probably ~6 months away at best
    D.) Jump ship

    I'd imagine based upon the poll on the front page (under 4% of people in this community want to buy the Pre 2 from Verizon, 60% will wait for the Pre 3, 22% Percent are contemplating leaving the brand) that there might be some incentive left for HP/Palm to still do a cheaper off-contract Pre 2 (say in a month), but by doing things their usual way and letting the customers wait and wonder they push more people further and further towards category D.

    One last consideration is that if the Pre 2 is a total flop the device might go legacy even faster. If the community is small and consists largely of developers HP can just issue new Dev. phones and wrap up the device without worrying about angering a large user base. So there is always the possibility that they are intentionally trying to keep sales to a minimum.
  18. #18  
    Yeah, I am eligible for a Verizon upgrade since last september ( I used a family members to get the pre+ and they don't seem to need their upgrades...). So I am trying to be patient but I feel like that upgrade is burning a whole in my pocket!
  19. #19  
    this would be not a bad deal if you could get it at best buy considering their buy back program.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by FDP View Post
    One last consideration is that if the Pre 2 is a total flop the device might go legacy even faster. If the community is small and consists largely of developers HP can just issue new Dev. phones and wrap up the device without worrying about angering a large user base. So there is always the possibility that they are intentionally trying to keep sales to a minimum.
    A total flop might also cause Verizon to be in no rush (once again) to offer the Pre 3. I would not be surprised if the Pre 3 is 9-12 out on Verizon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions