Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You guys ever think why your plans are dirt cheap? You get what you pay for basically, and I'm sure AT&T and Verizon pay the most to carry the best phones because they rake in the most from their customers. It's very probable that Sprint either will not pay enough, or cannot sell enough market share to make HP's strategy work.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    is there an email address I can contact to give HPalm a piece of my mind?

I've faithfully stuck it out with the pre I purchased a few weeks after launch (I switched from verizon to get it!) and even steered friends and family towards purchasing pres of their own.

the only means to contact palm that I can find seems to be twitter or facebook... is jon rubinstein's email address publicly available? people email complaints to jobs all the time and he seems to reply once in a blue moon, maybe ol' ruby can tell me how he plans to reward us early adopters and evangelizers.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    You guys ever think why your plans are dirt cheap? You get what you pay for basically, and I'm sure AT&T and Verizon pay the most to carry the best phones because they rake in the most from their customers. It's very probable that Sprint either will not pay enough, or cannot sell enough market share to make HP's strategy work.
    Not much of a strategy when you anger your most loyal customers.
    If Sprint gets the Pre 3, I hope it's 4G, cause now that Sprint is charging an extra $10 monthly for ALL data, I might as well get a 4G phone.
    Which most likely means Android.
    Well, look at the bright side, I'll have 4G speeds, a ton more apps (Hello Slingbox) and some good hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    If Sprint gets the Pre 3, I hope it's 4G, cause now that Sprint is charging an extra $10 monthly for ALL data, I might as well get a 4G phone.
    Which most likely means Android.
    Well, look at the bright side, I'll have 4G speeds, a ton more apps (Hello Slingbox) and some good hardware.
    What hardware does Sprint have that is better than the pre3?

EVO? That is last years snapdragon and is about on par with the Veer. Yeah its 4g but thats it. (well the screen too).

I think we should all just calm down and wait. If Im right HP/Palm is gonna make a statement soon about carriers, then we can get upset.
  6.    #26  
    I'd love to say that I wish the Pre3 was 4G, but I also know I'd rarely, if ever, use it.

Everyone I know with a WiMax phone, never uses it, because it's an instant battery destroyer. Not to mention that it's not all that fast for the cost in battery.
    Truth be told, if HP hadn't already said we'd be getting updates (as well as claiming whatever they announced would ship weeks later), I wouldn't be so annoyed. I mean, iOS 4 won't run on generation 1 iPhones and you can't get the latest version of Android on every phone...

...but for G-d's sake, HP, stop saying one thing and doing another. It just ****es people off!

Right now I'm sticking with Sprint. I'm under contract for another year and change. If by then there's no WebOS phone, I'll look into a pre-pay option and a TouchPad on Wifi.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carr76013 View Post
    What hardware does Sprint have that is better than the pre3?

EVO? That is last years snapdragon and is about on par with the Veer. Yeah its 4g but thats it. (well the screen too).

I think we should all just calm down and wait. If Im right HP/Palm is gonna make a statement soon about carriers, then we can get upset.
    Epic...it's a galaxy S phone, and the Hummingbird processor at 1Ghz (unlike the snapdragon in the EVO) is actually a really powerful processor.

Oh, did I mention the vibrant 4in OLED screen? Yeah, the Epic is easily on par with the Pre3, and it's already 5 months old!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad View Post
    Truth be told, if HP hadn't already said we'd be getting updates (as well as claiming whatever they announced would ship weeks later), I wouldn't be so annoyed. I mean, iOS 4 won't run on generation 1 iPhones and you can't get the latest version of Android on every phone...

...but for G-d's sake, HP, stop saying one thing and doing another. It just ****es people off!
    I agree with you. Luckily, they are dropping many hints that there will be some kind of upgrade program offered by HP. They should have had details of that to go along with the sour news though.

I'll look into a pre-pay option and a TouchPad on Wifi.
    I'm in the same boat. The cost of ownership on a pre-paid smartphone is becoming several times smaller than having to own a high end smartphone on a contract. It's starting to lose it's luster. I'm sure Ferrari's are awesome, but the cost isn't worth it to most.

Quote Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
    Epic...it's a galaxy S phone, and the Hummingbird processor at 1Ghz (unlike the snapdragon in the EVO) is actually a really powerful processor.

Oh, did I mention the vibrant 4in OLED screen? Yeah, the Epic is easily on par with the Pre3, and it's already 5 months old!
    The screen technologies can be debated. But come on, there is no way a 1ghz A8 class, of any kind, is somehow "on par" with a 1.4 Ghz A8 class. I don't care who makes it.
    It's not HP's fault if sprint does not get the phone . It's all up to Sprint to decide wether or not they get a webOS phone . Just sayin.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    1. Im happy with my launch day Pre.

2. my contract ends in June

I have a lot of options, I will wait and see.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

The screen technologies can be debated. But come on, there is no way a 1ghz A8 class, of any kind, is somehow "on par" with a 1.4 Ghz A8 class. I don't care who makes it.
    Actually, the OMAP3 at 600mhz out performed the Snapdragon at 1Ghz (on certain devices), but the Hummingbird out performed the OMAP and snapdragon. I have no doubt that the Pre Minus OC'd to 1Ghz probably gives the EVO a run for it's money!

It was funny because all the devices with Snapdragons sucked in the benchmarking yet the OMAP and Hummingbirds did fantastic. The Verizon Droid did amazingly well considering it has similar internals to the Pre Minus!

So I'll take the 1Ghz Hummingbird and take my chances over Qualcomm's crap!

Not saying the Qualcomm chip isn't going to be great, eventually they have to make a winner, I'm just noting Qualcomm has a history of junk chips and Samsung has shown it's processor is excellent. Ideally, I'd like an OMAP4 or OMAP5 but HP probably got a better price from Qualcomm regardless of performance!

Basically, I have a feeling that the Pre3 will at best be marginally better than the Epic 4G which isn't saying a lot considering we are talking almost 12 months age difference!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

I'm in the same boat. The cost of ownership on a pre-paid smartphone is becoming several times smaller than having to own a high end smartphone on a contract. It's starting to lose it's luster. I'm sure Ferrari's are awesome, but the cost isn't worth it to most.
    And Ferrari doesn't expect you to buy a new model every two years for minor bumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    1. Im happy with my launch day Pre.

2. my contract ends in June

I have a lot of options, I will wait and see.
    Ditto.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    There is no pattern. No one released a Palm/HP phone. So does that mean no one will get a webOS phone ever? ltm.

The merger took longer, that's why the Pre 2 didn't come out. Sprint always releases devices in summer. I wonder if that has any correlation between the devices coming out in summer..? I wonder..
    Im sorry but Sprint customers have been screwed 3 times. Want to count them? Pre +, Pixi + and Pre2

For HP to simply disregard the fact that we still exist after almost 2 years with crappy hardware is like getting balls slapped in your face...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Four times. We also had the joy of having the Wifi originally planned for the Pixi to be stripped out.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    The Optimus V looks like a sweet deal. I might check it out myself. Be aware that Virgin has no roaming period. If you don't have Sprint signal where are you have no phone service. I'm in SoCal so it's not a problem.
    Sprint's $10 fee and now changes to the Premier program have annoyed me too. I'm actually thinking of Tmobile. I like the idea of GSM letting me swap SIM cards in and out as I choose rather than relying on the carrier to authorize me to change phones. Why Tmobile instead of AT&T? I like that Tmobile actually gives you a discount for bringing your own phone (something like $20 cheaper a month) and they let you get postpaid service without a contract. The only downside is you pay the actual price of your phone instead of getting a carrier subsidy. It doesn't hurt that I'm in a HSPA+ 21Mbps area and others have been reporting speed tests of 10Mbps on that technology in other Tmobile cities while my Clear hotspot (and therefore any Sprint 4G phones I might get) only give me 1-2Mbps with frequent dropouts due to Sprint/Clear using 2.6Ghz. (Tmobile uses 1700Mhz for uplink, 2100Mhz for downlink)
    bought my pre on sprint, day 1. Converted my wife to a Pixi and had several family members on AT&T waiting to upgrade until after yesterday's announcement. That was a horrible move by HP, if they had hardware ready to ship in the next few weeks, they had 5 devices sold right here. Now it's time to make some tough decisions.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    If not for the HomeBrew the Pre minus would suck. I have had many times over the last year to recommend the Pre to folks, however, I would not do so unless they were tech savvy enough to know how to patch it, hack it, homebrew it. If you take that away, the Pre would barely qualify as a smart phone. With all of the hacks, I love it. I am cautiously optimistic that someone will develop a homebrew upgrade path to 2.0... I know there will be a lot of folks that would donate.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    If Pre3 and tablet were available in a few weeks, I would buy, and probably not be that unhappy that they are going back on their promise to upgrade my Pre-. However, by summer, I will have moved on, with both my lines, and my wife's line, and my son's line and 3 new tablets.....I will be looking at Android phones and tablets, or perhaps android phones and Ipads...but the decision and purchases will be made before summer...I will not consider HP products in the future because it is clear to me that HP won't support their products and will not hesitate to lie to it's customers.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast