Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    If this was posted elsewhere, I couldnt find it so feel free to merge or delete if its on here somewhere.

    Sprint doubles down on Android for 4G | Android Community

    http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...08-711636.html


    Hope this still leaves room for HP/Palm but it fits in with what I both saw and heard from regional Sprint people about how committed they are to Android. They see it as the thing that saved them last year.

    Spent a lot of time in several large Sprint stores over the holidays and literally EVERYBODY I heard looking for a new phone wanted to know, first thing, if it was Android.(except for 2 people i saw that want the iphone, rep took them straight to the evo) Rep who was a big Pre-fan told me that except for some freebies, all they were selling were Androids.

    Regional Best Buy guy said for Sprint customers were spending either "all or nothing." Customers wanted the free Optimus one they had at Xmas or the Evo ( unless they wanted a keyboard then they went with either the Epic or the mid range keyboard choices).

    Regional Sprint rep that services the BBs and the non-corp stores is one that flat out said to me: "The Evo saved us. Everybody came it to look at the evo and even if they didnt get that, they walked out with an Android almost all the time."
    Last edited by midmofan; 02/08/2011 at 02:37 PM.
  2. #2  
    yup but doubling down on android, dosent mean they wont carry other OS's like WP7 and Webos. To me HP doesnt need Sprint to support Webos like they did Palm when they launched, because HP is more then capable to do everything possiable to sell their device themselves.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    yup but doubling down on android, dosent mean they wont carry other OS's like WP7 and Webos. To me HP doesnt need Sprint to support Webos like they did Palm when they launched, because HP is more then capable to do everything possiable to sell their device themselves.

    Of course there are quite a few of us that sure want a high-end Palm on Sprint since we can't or won't be leaving and would like it to get top-level support from Sprint

    Also where will HP make the big splash? ATT is still Iphone central and Verizon is now that or the Droid. Will either of them give "top billing" to a webOs device?

    So if Sprint doesn't give the new webOS phone prominant placement, who will, T-mobile?
  4. #4  
    What else would people be asking for at Sprint? Honestly, take away the iPhone and Android, what good options did you have?

    RIM - Their OS is showing its age and they are losing market share.
    Windows Mobile - hahaha
    random feature phones - really hard to top
    Old Pre / under powered pixi - Hardcore webOS ******* can barely take it anymore.

    That leaves Android as the ONLY decent option. Yeah, it "saved" them, just like it "saved" Verizon and T-Mobile.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    ...Everybody came it to look at the evo and even if they didnt get that, they walked out with an Android almost all the time."
    This is key, I think. Last year I actually went into the Sprint store to look at a blackberry but ran across the two Palm phones and got hooked on the interface. What's stopping them from going in to look at an Evo or, believe it or not, an Echo and walking out with an HP webOS device that they fell in love with in the store? Don't underestimate the power of demo devices...
  6. #6  
    Don't over-estimate the average consumer.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    This is key, I think. Last year I actually went into the Sprint store to look at a blackberry but ran across the two Palm phones and got hooked on the interface. What's stopping them from going in to look at an Evo or, believe it or not, an Echo and walking out with an HP webOS device that they fell in love with in the store? Don't underestimate the power of demo devices...

    At the big corporate store, they have 4 live Evos out for people to play with and two Epics. nothing else has more than one.
  8. Thead's Avatar
    Posts
    317 Posts
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    #8  
    I'm hoping that after the Kyocera fail, a lot more people on Sprint who are looking to upgrade will take a longer look at the next HP device than otherwise may have.
  9. #9  
    I read the title and thought it was going to be another Kyocera Echo bashing session.

    I too hope Sprint will leave room for a little WebOS action, but I can't blame them for going with android. It's proven to be a money maker...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    To me HP doesnt need Sprint to support Webos like they did Palm when they launched, because HP is more then capable to do everything possiable to sell their device themselves.
    Yeah, just like they managed to sell all those ipaq's.

    Sfm Evo
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    I'm hoping that after the Kyocera fail, a lot more people on Sprint who are looking to upgrade will take a longer look at the next HP device than otherwise may have.
    There's got to be a new hp/webos device on Sprint to look at first before anyone can even look at one... no one knows it Sprint will want to carry them.

    http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...08-711636.html

    Sfm Evo
  12. #12  
    Yes sprint will be getting a phone from HP/Palm

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Yes sprint will be getting a phone from HP/Palm

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The people I talk with (regional Sprint and Best Buy types) are better than Store Reps but still pretty far down on the food chain. I had refused to post a "I heard this from somebody at Sprint" post but they have told me they were sure Sprint would have the next HP phone.

    My concerns are 1) will it be a high end phone on Sprint 2) Will it be promoted heavily by Sprint (assuming they carry it)?

    If the phone is not properly promoted, then it wont have the sales, wont have the developers wont have the apps......
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    There's got to be a new hp/webos device on Sprint to look at first before anyone can even look at one... no one knows it Sprint will want to carry them.

    Sprint Plans To Redouble Push For More 4G, Android Devices - WSJ.com

    Sfm Evo
    The article does say 70 percent, my friend. Not 100 percent Android.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The article does say 70 percent, my friend. Not 100 percent Android.
    70% Android
    __% BB
    __% Windows
    __% Other
    __% webOS?
  16. #16  
    I figure maybe 5 percent Blackberry since they release so few devices for Sprint anyway. Same for Windows Phone 7 in the interim. One HTC device...maybe two...for the time being. The lane is ripe and open for HP, and neither company can afford to say no, IMO.
  17. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #17  
    I think At&t will be the big partner with webOS at launch. They need something now that they lost iPhone exclusivity.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I think At&t will be the big partner with webOS at launch. They need something now that they lost iPhone exclusivity.
    Like the three 4G/LTW super Android devices they announced at CES, at least one of which has a dual core processor?

    I'm sure AT&T will have a device just by virtue of being GSM, but if that's where HP is counting on making the biggest offensive, I don't think this is going to go well.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I think At&t will be the big partner with webOS at launch. They need something now that they lost iPhone exclusivity.
    Why does AT&T need something? They still have the iphone which takes up most of their smartphone base.

    AT&T is iphone saturated and is getting new androids. It's probably not the place i'd want to start at.

    Verizon just got the iphone and had been heavily pushing android. Not the place i'd want to be either off the bat.

    Sprint is wide open with only a couple of older androids being the flagships. There's a lot of existing Palm customers still there. But Sprint can also be a curse. Sprint is not considered a premium network. Is known for marketing to the cheap end. Sprint's leadership seems questionable.

    Still, i'd rather be a rock star on Sprint than 3rd or 4th string on AT&T or V. You can leverage that rock star status later. Get that slab phone released asap.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The article does say 70 percent, my friend. Not 100 percent Android.
    The article was put there because the original poster article was incomplete.

Posting Permissions