Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ProCision View Post
    i never expected a webos @ a sprint event. Just something better then an Echo.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    The voice/data is a limitation of the CDMA technology and not the phone or carrier per se.

@soccerbud did you happen to be on wifi ( edit: looks like we were typing at the same time) when your dad called because the same limitation applies to Sprint as well.

I am hoping that whatever Hp announces tomorrow will include a 4g flavor. That should fix the problem for those of us that like the CDMA carriers (ATT stinks in my neck of the woods).
    Voice/data isn't a limitation of CDMA, it's a limitation of carrier implementation. Current CDMA technologies are capable of simultaneous voice and data channels but the carriers that use CDMA haven't implemented those methods. I don't blame them though if it's a matter of redirecting funds to implementing their 4G networks instead.

A cludged solution to this problem though is to sign up for a monthly Skype account for US/Canada number to Skype service IF you're currently using a device that supports Skype. Obviously that doesn't work for those of us on a webOS device yet but I hear it will when we actually get 2.0...
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I have a Pre + with VZW. So while I am not in your boat, what happens tomorrow matters very much to me. Im on my second Pre, and while they are certainly better than a Pre minus I still hunger for somthing better. Especially since there are so many powerful devices on VZW now. I love WebOS and if they offer a phone like the one you listed on VZW. Thats what Im getting.

If they dont? Well Ill likely jump ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I have a Pre+ on Sprint running at 100% so I'm not worried about it committing Seppuku.

I think I’d be happy with:
    3.5” screen
    compass/gyroscope
    autofocus camera
    4G
    ditto I have the same a pre+ on sprint running perfect, and Ive had a EVO and sold it. I'm completly happy with the pre, and it does everything I need a smartphone to do. Most people just want something new, because its....new not because they really need it. I will upgrade on my sprint contract if they have something by june though, otherwise Ill continue to wait, and if I do upgrade and there are no webos phones for sprint, Ill prob opt for a WP7 device as a worse case scenario. I;ve been with sprint for 11 years, and dont believe in breaking a contract with a company I have had no major issues with. Ive tried Android a few times and will not be going back.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ditto I have the same a pre+ on sprint running perfect, and Ive had a EVO and sold it. I'm completly happy with the pre, and it does everything I need a smartphone to do. Most people just want something new, because its....new not because they really need it. I will upgrade on my sprint contract if they have something by june though, otherwise Ill continue to wait, and if I do upgrade and there are no webos phones for sprint, Ill prob opt for a WP7 device as a worse case scenario. I;ve been with sprint for 11 years, and dont believe in breaking a contract with a company I have had no major issues with. Ive tried Android a few times and will not be going back.
    I don't know how you did it, go from pre to evo back to pre. and then say you would go to a W7 phone as a worst case scenario. I can't believe you had a so much power in your hand (evo) and let it go. I has to be because webos is so good, not that the evo was so bad. W7 isnt even an option in my book. I would never get a W7 phone. I would get ios before w7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oversteer325 View Post
    I'll switch to Simple Mobile and get an unlocked GSM device, which will be a very sad day since I like Sprint and have been a customer for 10 years. I love webOS more than I like Sprint.
    Something people need to know before making that decision. From Simple Mobile's site:
    Important Note about 2G and 3G Phones

If your phone says it is a 3G phone but it does not support the 1700mhz band, it will operate at 2G (EDGE) speeds on our network.
    That means the GSM Pre 2 will only operate at 2G on that network, just like if you were going to use T-mobile.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Most people just want something new, because its....new not because they really need it..
    I dont need a new smartphone..but I really really want one!

That being said my reasons for wanting something other than my Pre +. Well I would like something faster and larger. I consider even my over clocked Pre to be slow at opening apps and I would definitely like what Android and iOS has in this respect. Bigger screen, well thats simple. It hurts my eyes to read stuff on my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProCision View Post
    I don't know how you did it, go from pre to evo back to pre. and then say you would go to a W7 phone as a worst case scenario. I can't believe you had a so much power in your hand (evo) and let it go. I has to be because webos is so good, not that the evo was so bad. W7 isnt even an option in my book. I would never get a W7 phone. I would get ios before w7.
    yeah the EVO was def nice but just hardware wise, I just cant do the OS and I had it for 5 months. Though its all about what works for you, and Ive used WP7 through my job for 2 months the surround and the OS is very nice.
  9.    #29  
    Do all Android phones have the same issue having apps launch on there own? Is this something they can't fix? Buying a phone with known issues like that makes me stay away. If I need to have an app to stop other apps from launching would drive me nuts.

If I bought a EVO and it came with Android 2.1 or 2.2 will I be able to upgrade it to Gingerbread (2.3)? (or is is 3.0, i dont know much about Android)
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    yeah the EVO was def nice but just hardware wise, I just cant do the OS and I had it for 5 months. Though its all about what works for you, and Ive used WP7 through my job for 2 months the surround and the OS is very nice.
    I have to agree with you. I do a lot of support for Evo Devices, and I have a Pre - and as far as the User Interface, i do not like the Evo interface. I know you can get different themes and skins for them but Nothing comes close to WebOS. Now as WP7 I am very impressed with that OS. The interface could really give WebOS run for it's money. It's very very smooth and easy to use.

Though I am still a WebOS Fan. Something about being able to Multitask with it. I find myself Listening to Podcast, Checking My Email and able to switch between my camera and facebook app all at the same time with My pre. And yes, it's overclocked :P

I just want a bigger screen and a better quality build. After using the Evo and the Samsung WP7, I really like the screen! Any Extra then that for me is a plus! I have been very happy with my WebOS device!
    I don't currently own a smartphone (aside from the Pixi I ordered that still hasn't shipped, that is). So even if the event turns out to not have some superduperawesomephone I just might get a Pre 2 anyway. I know iOS and its limitations from owning an iPod Touch for a few years, and I never liked the way Android feels in all of my experimenting with it.

Still, I'd love to have a supderduperawesomephone not bogged down with Android. Hopefully they'll make it so.
    I've waited this long so. I've let HPalm slide by on all of my deadlines, june, august, holiday season, ces, so if they have nothing to offer soon on sprint that is high end 4"+ slab, my contract ends in june i'll just wait it out and consider all my options then.
  13.    #33  
    I think what I am going to do now no matter what is find a good used evo and buy it. That way I can get a feel for Android, wait to see what webos devices come out. See what kind of app support follows it. Sell the evo then and get the next new thing. Be it an Evo2 or HP/Palm???. All while staying with sprint because i dont want to go to Verizon.
    Well I think is safe to say there wont be an sd card slot on the webos phone not with all this cloud talk. But If HP doesn't announce something big I jumping ship where I don't know. I don't like Android it reminds me of Myspace lol. and Well the Iphone is a apple product and they propagate bs to their consumers and make them think it is a godsend. Maybe I'll go windows 7.

But I have faith HP will announce something big. I think this smallest smartphone ever idea is pretty dumb because idk where they will find space for a virtual or physical keyboard but I think HP will also announce something big dropping in July. something with atrix like specs. sadly it will drop around iphone 5 time.
    Not sure what I will do if it is all a dud. Stick with my Pre a while longer and then decide what I want next.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Honestly, I think I've already made my mind up -- my next phone will be an EVO (or something better if it launches before Mar 31) regardless of what HP announces today.

I love webOS, hands down the best implementation of multitasking, hands down the best UI, however right now there just is not the ecosystem for it (devs, apps, etc.).

I hope HP wows the world today! If they do it will take at least a year to build up what Android has built up in the last two years. If after a year the ecosystems are comparable, I will be back with webOS (thankfully I will get back into the yearly upgrade pool next January).
    Myself , I won't go to anything but webOS even if it means moving to ummm ..... Verizon ho hum . I hope I won't have to !!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    i've got a very tight update window, i become eligible for my premier upgrade march 1st, and ineligible on april 1st when they change the requirements for the full upgrade
    i'd happily settle for a pre2 at that point, especially at the $99 pricepoint to upgrade to the glass screen and better build quality, plus all the little improvements over my pre minus. Otherwise i'm waiting another year to upgrade.
    I've still got my fingers crossed for a new webos device on sprint in the next month, but it's hard to keep hope alive
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Is this really a big deal? I have yet to run across a single instance where I would have needed simultaneous voice and data.
    It's a big deal if you use your phone as a mobile hotspot. Get a call, loose whatever your doing on the web. Sure you can refresh but if your filling out an application and hit "submit" when you loose your data ... well, that wouldn't be very good would it?
    and you need the full gig of ram for... Um what? Playing 3 games simultaneously? Webos needs some hardware accel for drawing and everything rocks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast