Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Verizon To Throttle Heavy Users To Maintain Network Quality

"BGR points us to a PDF of a Verizon corporate memo describing plans to throttle heavy data users. They write:

To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand.

Essentially, if you download a lot, your speed will be cut at various peak times. Theyre calling it VZOptimization, a delightfully Orwellian term. Interestingly, this is the exact opposite of what Mozy just did and, in truth, it makes perfect sense for Verizon: dont punish the little guys because someone wants to grab an 8GB BD Rip."

Verizon Wireless Service Information
    It's not superfast now... so hopefully this just means that speeds will be held around 1mbps as LTE gets rolled out.
  3.    #3  
    It just occurred to me that VZ may be imposing this restriction because of the new iPhone launch;that launch could add millions of heavy-data-using customers who might overload the VZ system.
    A study done last July puts people who use over 2gb a month in that top 5%... I'm glad I'm not with Verizon.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    wow im glad im not with verizon too lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    But what do they consider high data usage is the question. AT&T thought it was everybody on an iPhone apparently, remember when they told everyone to use wifi? Then when they went to tiers, now suddenly almost no one uses close to 2GB?? Which is it AT&T? I hope people dont get these same games with Verizon.

P.S. That study mentioned earlier sound like AT&T's smoke and mirrors justification for caps. Who sponsored it?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    please guys, sprint is always quick to copy verizon. It's only a matter of time. I actually feel throttled already by sprint.
    Since you have to pay an extra $10 for "premuim" data, they'd better not start with that!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But what do they consider high data usage is the question. AT&T thought it was everybody on an iPhone apparently, remember when they told everyone to use wifi? Then when they went to tiers, now suddenly almost no one uses close to 2GB?? Which is it AT&T? I hope people dont get these same games with Verizon.

P.S. That study mentioned earlier sound like AT&T's smoke and mirrors justification for caps. Who sponsored it?

Very likely "high data usage" will start somewhere after that 5GB cautionary limit that all the Verizon unlimited data plans currently have. After that who knows where they'll start drawing the line they actually enforce. Technically they could just set that line at 5GB because that soft cap is in everyone's unlimited data contract.
    "if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds"

It seems that what they are doing is warning data hogs, not regular or power users, that excessive use will be limited. It does NOT say that you will be limited, just that they can do so if given cause.

Networks are always a shared and limited resource. Any network can be shutdown by just a few data hogs if there are not sufficient controls in place. Wireless networks are usually far more limited in bandwidth as carriers cannot just add more bandwidth as the frequencies that they are allowed to use are limited. Back-haul (wired) links are not usually the issue here, it is the wireless bandwidth that needs to be preserved. Even if they could magically add bandwidth that would add cost. ALL costs in business are pushed to the consumer.
    Last edited by AWChuck; 02/07/2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: grammar
    Dont forget they will be compressing media files to save bandwith....
    Here is the direct link to what VZW is actually saying. Worth the read:
    Terms & Conditions
    Aren't we glad the FCC ruled against net neutrality in the wireless spectrum?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Aren't we glad the FCC ruled against net neutrality in the wireless spectrum?
    Not related to Net Neutrality as far as I can tell as they are doing this across the board and it is not related to any particular provider:

"The optimization techniques are applied to all content files coming from the Internet Port 80 that use the most common compression formats. The form and extent of optimization depends on the compression format of the content file, but does not depend on the content of the file, the originating web site, or the users device. No distinction in the application of these techniques is made based on the source website or originator of the content. The system optimizes files based strictly on the type of file and the relevant file formats (recognizing that some file types are not modified). Accordingly, all content, including Verizon Wireless branded content, of the same type will be subject to the same process. "
    Quote Originally Posted by AWChuck View Post
    Not related to Net Neutrality as far as I can tell as they are doing this across the board and it is not related to any particular provider:
    If that is the case, I'd agree that it's not a net neutrality issue. They could have easily treated it like the situation when one runs out of minutes: charge the user for the extra amount used. I'm not sure how the "unlimited/all you can eat" data plans got mixed up in the net neutrality debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    If that is the case, I'd agree that it's not a net neutrality issue. They could have easily treated it like the situation when one runs out of minutes: charge the user for the extra amount used. I'm not sure how the "unlimited/all you can eat" data plans got mixed up in the net neutrality debate.
    MetroPCS alleged to be violating net neutrality rules with new LTE plans -- Engadget

thats how
    Now that they set the hook, they can start reeling us in. Here's a great article on the coming Data Tsunami

The data tsunami, and why Sprint increased its data charges - FierceWireless
    That is an example of blocking content from different sites unless the user pays another fee. That would definitely be a conflict with the concept of "net neutrality". Slowing down all traffic once a bandwidth usage limit has been reached or having tiered plans based on bandwidth usage wouldn't be from what the original "net neutrality" concept because it treats all traffic the same.
    It's a slippery slope, though. With no oversight, what starts as nonpartisan throttling could easily devolve into discriminatory traffic shaping.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    Now that they set the hook, they can start reeling us in. Here's a great article on the coming Data Tsunami

The data tsunami, and why Sprint increased its data charges - FierceWireless
    They're going to have a lot of trouble trying to take back the unlimited data cap. The best thing they could do as they fully implement 4G is instead move to match the current wired ISP model of unlimited data and tiered speeds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast