Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I've been hearing about the changes to the Sprint Premier membership program and how folks won't be grandfathered in:

Rants and Raves:*CONFIRMED* Sprint Premier is D.E.A.D

Silver - $75 upgrade per year or $150 at 22 months.
    Requirement:
    $69.99 individual plan, or
    $99.99 shared plan

Gold - $150 upgrade every year
    $89.99 individual plan, or
    169.99 shared plan, or
    10 years with Sprint.
    When I look at my qualification date for my SP 12 month upgrade, though, it's still showing March like it always has, instead of the 22 months that I would normally see for a non-SP upgrade. Anyone know when this change is effective?

If it's before my March milestone, I am going to have to seriously consider switching carriers. Me and my wife are both in need of some upgraded hardware and I was only counting on having to pay more for hers...but now it's likely I'll have to double or even triple what I was planning to have to pay. It almost makes more sense now to just pay the early termination fee of $120 and find a different provider. With the new $10/per line price jack, I'm not certain Sprint will be price competitive any longer.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I have a 6/5/9 Pre so I hit 22 months April 5th. I'll be 10 years with Sprint come December. I'm pretty sure even if the change becomes effective before then and a new webos phone is released in February or March, if Sprint won't easily give me the full discount then they will with just a little bit of pressure. Especially if they'll get the extra $10/mo out of me too.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Word on the street, and by street I mean web, is that Sprint will be changing the qualifications for the Premier program starting on April 1st. Premier will be split into Gold and Silver. Only the top pricing plans will net you Gold status, whereas everyone else will fall into Silver. The change that hurts the most? You'll no longer be able to get the full upgrade discount on a new phone every 12 months unless you're in Gold. The Silver plan earns a new upgrade every 22 months. Grandfathering in of current eligibility won't happen either, meaning if you have an upgrade ready now, use it before April 1st or it pushes to your 22 month date. The changes are as follows:

∑ Sprint Premier Gold customers receive all the current benefits of Premier, including annual upgrades on 1 line per qualifying plan (or 10+ years service). All other lines on a Premier account currently are upgrade eligible every 22 months under Sprint's New for You Program.
    ∑ To be Sprint Premier Gold, customers must have at least 6 months tenure and meet the following qualifications:
    ∑ Individual plans with a 3 month average MRC of at least $89.99 or
    ∑ Shared plans with a 3 month average MRC of at least $169.99 or
    ∑ Tenure of 10+ years with Sprint Wireless
    ∑ Good standing

This really puts me into a frenzy. My upgrade has been ready since October '10. If it's not used by April 1st, it gets pushed back until August. So, if HP/Palm has no new phones available by then, I may have to jump to an Android device or just wait till August. The problem I see with an Android device is that the only one I'd consider at the moment is the Evo, which will be a year old in June. That means when my 22 months is up on the Evo, it would be darn near 3 yrs old. I don't think I can cope with that scenario.

Link to info: Rants and Raves:*CONFIRMED* Sprint Premier is D.E.A.D
    And so it is, Sprint just continues to chip away at the precious few remaining reasons to even keep them as opposed to Verizon. If the Palm Feb. 9th newness is coming to Verizon instead of Sprint then it's bye-bye.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
  5.    #5  
    Well someone started another thread (merge, anyone?) saying it'll be effective April 1. So I suppose that makes me feel a little better. What I'd like to know is...what's the point of the "Silver" level? Doesn't EVERYONE get a $150 discount after 22 months? What makes one a "Premier" member at that point? A free ringtone download every month?

Weak.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Maybe you won't get the $150 every 22 months unless you have a large enough plan.
    Sprint premier was a joke, just about anyone and everyone was or could be a premier customer. Being with sprint for over 13 years and having 5 lines meant very little. Atleast now it will mean something.

Evo-lution
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Well someone started another thread (merge, anyone?) saying it'll be effective April 1. So I suppose that makes me feel a little better. What I'd like to know is...what's the point of the "Silver" level? Doesn't EVERYONE get a $150 discount after 22 months? What makes one a "Premier" member at that point? A free ringtone download every month?

Weak.
    You beat me to it by a few minutes! Wasn't there when i started typing
    It looks like the industry (Sprint/Verizon) know we all want new phones yearly, so they feel they can cash in on the new technology coming out all the time. Looks like our choices are to pay or keep devices 22 months...
    New For You Upgrade Details

Our records indicate the phone associated with this Sprint phone number will be eligible for the following savings on the dates shown below.

Savings Amount
    $75 with a two-year subscriber agreement (or $25 with a one-year agreement)
    12/01/2011$150 with a two-year subscriber agreement (or $75 with a one-year agreement)
    10/01/2012 Customers eligible for $150 with two-year subscriber agreement can either get $150 off or Sprintís nationally advertised price on a new device, whichever is better. Nationally advertised price reflects regular price minus all eligible mail-in and instant rebates.

Offer details:

Program expires February 26, 2011

I just copied the above from my account. Not sure if this is just the New for You program... but it says it expires Feb 26, 2011. I am a Premier customer.
    They have been slicing away at discounts, so now upgrades. My bill goes up every few months without me changing plans. I have eight years in and five phone with them. I geuss im stuck with what they give me.
    The final nail in the coffin for me too leave sprint...This is ****ing me of ecspecially since its supposed to take affect april 1st, which is the same day of my 1year with my pixi, so lets see if they let me upgrade at the best price.

When sprint forced me off SERO to get pixi, i was ok with it, and went with the 69.99 plan instead of the ERP 59.99 plan just so i can get a new phone in a year instead of 2years. and they are gonna take that away on the exact date when I can.

I never complained of having to leave SERO plan, but it really made me mad when 4 months after I did they finally allowed SERO plan users to have android and webos phones for $10 additional dolllars.

And yesterday announcement of the $10 premium data fee is another reason why sprint is rediculous, I was actually hoping they would go with a $10 dollar fee as a response to the onslaught of all these new super highend phones instead of tiered data like verizon and ATT; but it should only be for high end devices regardless if they are 4g or not. Hero, pixi, pre, and bb curve users shouldnt have to pay that extra $10....

and for all those that say sprint is so much cheaper, it no longer is maybe only by $10-15 dollars a month. (don't try to add $10 to verizon plan for gps just because sprint gives it for free, cuz i don't use stupid navigation, if i did i would use a car navigation system.)

I would rater pay little more for verizon, and have superior customer care, much better network, and not have to prepare for a fight when i visit their store, as i currently do with sprint. And much better phone selection.

Also sprints handset offering blow, evo and epic where good and thats it.
    IT looks like they have no relationship with motorola who is producing the best android phones, and from what i have seen it looks like they no longer have a relationship with HP palm, so i say screw em.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Just did a chat session with a Sprint rep. I asked about info regrading changes to Premier and she laid out the qualifications as stated above. The only difference according to her is that if you have an upgrade before the changes kick in April 1st, you won't lose it. That's a relief at least for me on this upgrade. I'll be holding out for a magnificent phone before burning the upgrade that's for damned sure. Info on the $10 premium data charge at the end on the convo

11:07:38 AM : Connected to sprint.ehosts.net

11:17:12 AM : Moore: Ok thank you. Any information on the Premier program changes? I'm reading only the top pricing plans will be eligible or 10yrs with Sprint. Being able to upgrade my device every 12 months is a big plus to me

11:17:29 AM : Jennifer C: Let me explain you the new Sprint Premier Program.

11:19:14 AM : Jennifer C: For Sprint Premier Gold Program:
    Plan required are:$89.99+Individual
    $169.99+shared

11:19:40 AM : Jennifer C: Or 10+years with Sprint.

11:21:02 AM : Moore: I'm eligible for an upgrade since Oct last year. If I don't use it by the time the changes start, do I loose that availability and it goes to 22 months?

11:22:05 AM : Jennifer C: Let me explain.

11:23:05 AM : Jennifer C: As New Sprint Premier Program Qualification Rules are effective from April 1, 2011, so, if you're eligible for Upgrade now, your upgrade eligibility will be the same.

11:23:59 AM : Moore: Even after April 1st if I haven't used the upgrade?

11:24:49 AM : Moore: I'm holding on to see what Sprint announced Feb 7th and if Sprint will be carrying new Hp Palm phones before I jump to upgrade

11:25:01 AM : Moore: *annouces

11:26:21 AM : Jennifer C: Thank you for waiting.

11:27:06 AM : Jennifer C: The line #7358 to you account is not eligible for $150.00 Rebates as of now.

11:27:21 AM : Moore: my line is the #7201

11:27:51 AM : Jennifer C: Yes, it's eligible for $150.00 Rebates.

11:29:57 AM : Moore: ok, so to be clear, my upgrade will not be lost if it's not used by April 1st. Is that correct?

11:30:41 AM : Jennifer C: Yes, it won't be lost.

11:31:33 AM : Moore: The new changes just effect upgrades that have not become ready. Ok great. That is a huge relief

11:32:40 AM : Moore: Choosing a new device (especially to have for 22 months) is not an easy decision

11:33:32 AM : Moore: Any info on Sprint having Palm devices past the current Pre and Pixi?

11:34:11 AM : Jennifer C: I am sorry, we don't have such information as of now. Once we offer a new phone, it's details will be available on sprint.com.

11:34:31 AM : Moore: Ok. Thank you for clearing up the Premier changes for me

11:34:41 AM : Jennifer C: Beginning 1/30/11 the $10 Premium Data Add-on, previously charged only on HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO Shift 4G and Samsung Epic 4G devices, will now apply to activations and upgrades of all smartphones.

11:34:51 AM : Jennifer C: Current customers won‘t be impacted until they:
    Swap to another smartphone
    Upgrade from a feature phone to a smartphone
    Add a new line with a smartphone
    Reactivate a smartphone

11:35:01 AM : Jennifer C: You can keep this chat as a confirmation for the same.

11:35:18 AM : Moore: Does that include warranty or TEP device swaps?

11:36:51 AM : Jennifer C: It'll affect the activations and upgrades of all smart phones.

11:37:37 AM : Moore: So when i take my Pre in for a TEP replacement as I did yeaterday due to a malfunction. The $10 kicks in?

11:38:51 AM : Jennifer C: It'll be charged as a $10.00 Premium Data.

11:40:50 AM : Moore: wow, so a TEP replacement qualifies as an activation? Doesn't seem right

11:42:01 AM : Jennifer C: As it's the replaced phone, it's the reason it'll be charged as $10.00.

11:43:36 AM : Moore: Ok, I appreciate the information. Thank you

11:44:17 AM : Jennifer C: Is there anything else I can assist you with?

11:44:40 AM : Moore: No, that was it

11:44:57 AM : Jennifer C: Thank you for contacting Sprint.

11:45:03 AM : Jennifer C: Have a nice day.
    Last edited by gonk24; 01/19/2011 at 11:58 AM.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    11:29:57 AM : Moore: ok, so to be clear, my upgrade will not be lost if it's not used by April 1st. Is that correct?

11:30:41 AM : Jennifer C: Yes, it won't be lost.
    Good to hear I won't have to choose something in March if new webOS devices don't appear until after April 1.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I still cant leave Sprint... I just did a Family plan (2 lines) on Verizon with comparable features and it was 201 dollars/month. What? We pay much less than that. Verizon just dropped their new every 2 plan as well...

700 minutes (100 bucks) [we get 1500]
    Unlimited data (30/phone on Verizon)
    GPS
    Visual Voice mail (my wife gets it on her Evo)
    Insurance

Besides, we can't leave. Wife signed a new 2 year deal about 2 weeks ago.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Well at least I'll get something for sticking with Sprint for 10+ years. I was certain they'd screw me out of that as well. When do I get a gold watch?
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    Word on the street, and by street I mean web, is that Sprint will be changing the qualifications for the Premier program starting on April 1st. Premier will be split into Gold and Silver. Only the top pricing plans will net you Gold status, whereas everyone else will fall into Silver. The change that hurts the most? You'll no longer be able to get the full upgrade discount on a new phone every 12 months unless you're in Gold. The Silver plan earns a new upgrade every 22 months. Grandfathering in of current eligibility won't happen either, meaning if you have an upgrade ready now, use it before April 1st or it pushes to your 22 month date. The changes are as follows:

∑ Sprint Premier Gold customers receive all the current benefits of Premier, including annual upgrades on 1 line per qualifying plan (or 10+ years service). All other lines on a Premier account currently are upgrade eligible every 22 months under Sprint's New for You Program.
    ∑ To be Sprint Premier Gold, customers must have at least 6 months tenure and meet the following qualifications:
    ∑ Individual plans with a 3 month average MRC of at least $89.99 or
    ∑ Shared plans with a 3 month average MRC of at least $169.99 or
    ∑ Tenure of 10+ years with Sprint Wireless
    ∑ Good standing

This really puts me into a frenzy. My upgrade has been ready since October '10. If it's not used by April 1st, it gets pushed back until August. So, if HP/Palm has no new phones available by then, I may have to jump to an Android device or just wait till August. The problem I see with an Android device is that the only one I'd consider at the moment is the Evo, which will be a year old in June. That means when my 22 months is up on the Evo, it would be darn near 3 yrs old. I don't think I can cope with that scenario.

Link to info: Rants and Raves:*CONFIRMED* Sprint Premier is D.E.A.D
    I wonder if, need be, you can buy yourself an extra month by purchasing another device the day before this takes effect. Then, using your 30 day return you can return it and get a webOS phone, if it does in fact come out in that period.

NVM, I read the chat a little farther down.

It's bull that a TEP counts as a new activation though.
    Last edited by pavvento; 01/19/2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    my wife called sprint customer service. they said nothing was changing with our account... if they do this without warning, my wife will rip them new ones... believe me!
    what I don't understand is why they put the threshold at 69.99 and 89.99. After they add the $10 fee to all data plans there will only be a 79.99, a 99.99 and an unlimited plan.

Also how long do you have to be on a plan to become a premium member. I don't mind calling in and ramping my plan up to 89.99 (99.99) for 2 months if I will get my every upgrade back .
    It makes no sense to ramp up to the $89 plan just to get the upgrade. Let's say the new ED plan is $79 ($69 plus the new $10 charge). That's an extra $10 a month you're paying for gold status and this yearly upgrade, totaling $120 over 12 months. The silver premiere plan still gives you $75 at 12 months. Pay the extra $75 instead of $120 to upgrade at the one year mark.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast