Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What does everyone think? (Idea courtesy of slbaily1 - and now voiced by me.... )

Could this be the announcement on the 7th? The mind spins with the possibilities.

Sprint iPhone?

No more advantage ATT?
    Last edited by pogeypre; 01/18/2011 at 05:08 PM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

But does that warrant an extra charge? I'm going with those who say they really wanted to raise prices but couldn't justify it any other way.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    I was just trying to put it in terms of their "big" announcement of an industry "first". CDMA data/voice would be a huge first.

Do they already have "simultaneous" voice and data on WiMax?

I can't imagine that Sprint will invest anything in their CDMA network to add this. Color me skeptical.

I think it will be an WiMax iPhone, or a comprehensive overhaul in their pricing to reflect how much voice traffic is going over their data network.
  5.    #5  
    The thing is, only the WiMax iPhone fits as a first. Pricing change (data only plans for smartphones) don't strike me as "firsts". I may not use my phone to talk much, but I do want that functionality sometimes.

They could offer VOIP service, but that isn't a first either. Seeing a Sprint WiMax iPhone just isn't going to happen this year, though I could be wrong.

They are following Verizon's moves.... kill yearly upgrades, and bump prices. All ahead of a major announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    What does everyone think? (Idea courtesy of slbaily1 - and now voiced by me.... )

Could this be the announcement on the 7th? The mind spins with the possibilities.

Sprint iPhone?

No more advantage ATT?
    I expect you're on to something, and that we will shortly see VoIP for Sprint phones. Not just "available", but common.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The thing is, only the WiMax iPhone fits as a first. Pricing change (data only plans for smartphones) don't strike me as "firsts". I may not use my phone to talk much, but I do want that functionality sometimes.

They could offer VOIP service, but that isn't a first either. Seeing a Sprint WiMax iPhone just isn't going to happen this year, though I could be wrong.

They are following Verizon's moves.... kill yearly upgrades, and bump prices. All ahead of a major announcement.
    They could easily be doing voip to leverage the video chat app they already have. Similar to what VZW appears to be doing with Skype, where they route domestic skype calls back through their voice network between the two skype/voip participants.

It could make sense to do that, at least for any call with another sprint user. And that could lead to a lot of dramatic firsts in their calling plan, too.
    No, only way to accomplish that would be with a SV-DO Chip and Apple didnt go that route with VZ, highly doubt they would with Sprint.
    I think they are doing this to not have people complain about paying an extra 10 bucks for 4G. Now, since everyone is chipping in, people will run to the 4G phones. I don't like being forced into this.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    They could easily be doing voip to leverage the video chat app they already have. Similar to what VZW appears to be doing with Skype, where they route domestic skype calls back through their voice network between the two skype/voip participants.

It could make sense to do that, at least for any call with another sprint user. And that could lead to a lot of dramatic firsts in their calling plan, too.
    I don't see that as an advantage, at least not in Sprint's case. Don't forget, mobile to mobile is already "free" to users. Doing VoIP (to mobile users) would not cause less revenue for Sprint.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I think they are doing this to not have people complain about paying an extra 10 bucks for 4G. Now, since everyone is chipping in, people will run to the 4G phones. I don't like being forced into this.

Yep. Don't get your hopes up, people, that some new amazing magical service will be landing on your door step for a nominal fee of $10. The only way Sprint can afford to offer everyone a 69.99 unlimited everything plan is to slip in a little $10 extra on the side.

Thanks Sprint ers
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    can someone explain this to me plz....it says that an extra 10 bucks will be added after jan 30th....does this mean existing customers too or just new one or new contract signers....what is it!!!!
    If you read here, it states

Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Not until you renew the contract (say upgrade your phone)

basically makes 3g and 4g phone plans the same now.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    so if I get a dif smart phone after the said date I'll have to pay the extra cash...even if I get the phone on craigslist or what ever? But if I stay with my pre for 2 years I won't have to pay extra? Thanks for your answer everone
    no, if you get a 3g phone on craigslist your fine. It's only if you renew your contract.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    no, if you get a 3g phone on craigslist your fine. It's only if you renew your contract.
    Read the article attached by prolongexistence, above.

"...Upgrade or activate..." are the key words. If you obtain a phone on CL, that is considered to require a "premium" data plan then you will be so surcharged when you activate it.

Since most will update phones when their contract renews, within 2 years most everyone will be paying the higher rate.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Just kidding, but the first thought that came to mind when I saw this thread title was:

Pol·ly·an·na [pol-ee-an-uh]
    –noun
    1. an excessively or blindly optimistic person.
    –adjective
    2. ( often lowercase ) Also, Pol·ly·an·na·ish. unreasonably or illogically optimistic: some pollyanna notions about world peace.
    ------------------
    It's just a price increase because they figure they can get away with it. They can still say they have the most cost effective plan. Figures don't lie but liars figure.
    <threads merged>
    still people at sprint are paying 20 less than t-mobile users and 40 less than what either att and verizon customers pay for a plan anywhere close to the sprint 450 unlimited plan .
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast