Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just saw a tweet from Sprint. They're now going to charge an extra $10/month for all smartphone activations, not just 4G. So it looks like that extra charge really wasn't for 4G after all. See link.
    Sprint Newsroom | Mobile Data Information Center
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Just saw a tweet from Sprint. They're now going to charge an extra $10/month for all smartphone activations, not just 4G. So it looks like that extra charge really wasn't for 4G after all. See link.
    Sprint Newsroom | Mobile Data Information Center
    Sucks.

January 30...meaning they're getting out ahead of whatever announcement they plan to make on February 7. Looks to me that this is further evidence of some nice hardware coming down the line for Sprint and they are looking to cash in on the new demand.
    I can't find anywhere if it applies to upgrades as well!!

Oh man this stinks if it does.. Unless I was getting a "4G" webos device anyway from sprint, than not so much

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Is this a sign they are getting the iPhone?
    Is anyone noticing a trend here? Every carrier seems to be raising their rates or slashing data usage in one form or another.
    iPhone or some other Crazy smartphones!! Note the plural... Feb 7-9 can't come soon enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    Every carrier seems to be raising their rates or slashing data usage in one form or another.
    Because they are unable to handle full demand with current tech, I imagine. Not that they couldn't have seen it coming, but maybe it happened faster than they have been able to upgrade the networks and expand coverage.
    But seriously, what did they THINK would happen once the iPhone and various Android devices started catching on a couple years back?
    So, is this $10 per line with a smartphone? So a family plan with two lines would be an extra $20/month?
    They're getting something... I need to know...

My upgrade is burning a whole in my pocket.. I want to use it... But Now I REALLY need to be sure

I'm not getting the picture;how is the Sprint's price increase related to Sprint possibly getting the iPhone?
    I was planning to get a new FunSmartPhone this March with my SP upgrade. We will have 12 months left in the contract come March, meaning paying either $120 for the early termination to switch carriers or either $120 to $240 for the next year of service with one new (possibly two new) smartphones on our plan.

Basically a wash at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    I'm not getting the picture;how is the Sprint's price increase related to Sprint possibly getting the iPhone?
    I believe he said that they feel that they have a more competetive lineup. If both att and vzw have the iphone, sprint must have one coming as well.

Otherwise you decrease price to get customers

Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    Where is the guy who said Sprint Feb 8th announcement would be to "make more cutomers disappear?" I blew him off, but he ended up being right.

Ahahahah. Now I can stop being on Sprint just because its the cheapest and go with whoever has the best phone. Makes me feel better about a possible switch to Verizon iphone5 if it is LTE.
    You mean iphone 4. lol
    No, he means if Verizon announces an iPhone 5 with LTE this summer. VZW's 4 won't be LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by millworkman View Post
    No, he means if verizon announces and iPhone 5 with LTE this summer. VZW's 4 won't be LTE
    Oh, I thought he was talking about the one that was just announced.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    looks like I'll be spending an extra $40 a month once I upgrade all my lines (family plan 4 lines).
    sprint may no longer be significantly cheaper than other carriers at this point.
    what really makes me mad is that if I want to change phones between my pre and pixi (i already own both) they will add that 10 fee just for me changing phones after jan. 30.
    Does this new rate also apply to Sprint Premier customers? Don't we get free activations? Does this fee not count as an activation, but a new rate?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I know for family lines this is a bummer, but for individuals is it THAT bad? I haven't had a chance to look up AT&T or Verizon but this still seems like the cheaper route.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Does this new rate also apply to Sprint Premier customers? Don't we get free activations? Does this fee not count as an activation, but a new rate?
    Makes no diff.. After Jan 30th once you change your phone to another smartphone (ie activate it) even without an upgrade or new customer activation , you will get charged the additional fee

At least that's what it looks like.
    No grandfathering

They are still offering "all you can eat", unlike Verizon and AT&T. So this might reflect that, as well.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast