Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Old news?

"However, not all new Sprint customers will charged extra. The charge is already tacked onto the phone bills of 4G users, and new non-smartphone or non-4G users also won’t see the $10 fee."
    Smartphone Plans: Sprint Smartphone Data Plans to Cost $10 More | Technology | Epoch Times
    Looks like price will no longer be a factor when it comes to renewal for me. This means an extra $40. Not so cheap anymore. It wasn't a big deal Sprint's lack of flexibility with some phones having data and some only having text. They were still cheaper. Now they will not be cheaper. I may have to switch. I don't need data on all 4 lines, but according to Sprint there is no way to divide them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    well we will have to wait and see. Something good is coming and this 10 dollar fee is prob some part of it.
    I suspect the "something good" is that Sprint is more likely to stay in business and be able to keep its network up-to-date. I can't say I'm happy about the news, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape because a company with increasing costs is raising its prices.

Sprint is still cheaper for me than Verizon or AT&T. T-mobile doesn't seem to really do "big data" plans. Sprint is also a much nicer company to do business with than Verizon, and generally has better service than AT&T. And AT&T explicitly has data limits, which I might conceivably hit. So I plan to stick with Sprint a bit longer.
    I've been with Sprint for 9 years, but it looks like I might not be for too much longer. I have an individual plan and my wife does too $69+$39, but I wanted to bump her up to a decent phone too. If I do that after the change or any new 4G phone now we would be at the cheapest everything plan at $129 + $10 + $10= $149. Looking at my data use for the last year I've only gone over 1GB two times.
    Looking at AT&T, there cheapest family plan is $59 data for 2GB is $25, I might not even add on text messaging if I finally get around to getting a google voice number, but if I did it would be $5 each for 200 txts a month. This comes out to $59 + $25 + $25 + $5 + $5 = $119, if I drop off txts it would be $109 and if I drop my wife to 200mb it would be $99

It seems that any way I slice or dice it Sprint is not even close anymore on price. Sure they have unlimited data, and I hate to not have it, but with wifi everywhere I don't use that much anyway.
    Now I'm going to have to change and start saying come on AT&T get the new HP/Palm phone.
    Just wanted to post this for anyone else with a family plan to be aware of.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    The $10 charge will also start if you get a replacement device using TEP. I did a chat session with Sprint and the rep confirmed that at anytime a different smartphone is put into service, the fee kicks in. Glad I just had my Pre switched out yesterday. Anyone with a smarthpone should be be very mindful of it and if anything pops up that would garner a replacement get it done before the 30th.

Here's the chat session. The $10 premium data information is at the bottom in bold.

11:07:38 AM : Connected to sprint.ehosts.net

11:17:12 AM : Moore: Ok thank you. Any information on the Premier program changes? I'm reading only the top pricing plans will be eligible or 10yrs with Sprint. Being able to upgrade my device every 12 months is a big plus to me

11:17:29 AM : Jennifer C: Let me explain you the new Sprint Premier Program.

11:19:14 AM : Jennifer C: For Sprint Premier Gold Program:
    Plan required are:$89.99+Individual
    $169.99+shared

11:19:40 AM : Jennifer C: Or 10+years with Sprint.

11:21:02 AM : Moore: I'm eligible for an upgrade since Oct last year. If I don't use it by the time the changes start, do I loose that availability and it goes to 22 months?

11:22:05 AM : Jennifer C: Let me explain.

11:23:05 AM : Jennifer C: As New Sprint Premier Program Qualification Rules are effective from April 1, 2011, so, if you're eligible for Upgrade now, your upgrade eligibility will be the same.

11:23:59 AM : Moore: Even after April 1st if I haven't used the upgrade?

11:24:49 AM : Moore: I'm holding on to see what Sprint announced Feb 7th and if Sprint will be carrying new Hp Palm phones before I jump to upgrade

11:25:01 AM : Moore: *annouces

11:26:21 AM : Jennifer C: Thank you for waiting.

11:27:06 AM : Jennifer C: The line #7358 to you account is not eligible for $150.00 Rebates as of now.

11:27:21 AM : Moore: my line is the #7201

11:27:51 AM : Jennifer C: Yes, it's eligible for $150.00 Rebates.

11:29:57 AM : Moore: ok, so to be clear, my upgrade will not be lost if it's not used by April 1st. Is that correct?

11:30:41 AM : Jennifer C: Yes, it won't be lost.

11:31:33 AM : Moore: The new changes just effect upgrades that have not become ready. Ok great. That is a huge relief

11:32:40 AM : Moore: Choosing a new device (especially to have for 22 months) is not an easy decision

11:33:32 AM : Moore: Any info on Sprint having Palm devices past the current Pre and Pixi?

11:34:11 AM : Jennifer C: I am sorry, we don't have such information as of now. Once we offer a new phone, it's details will be available on sprint.com.

11:34:31 AM : Moore: Ok. Thank you for clearing up the Premier changes for me

11:34:41 AM : Jennifer C: Beginning 1/30/11 the $10 Premium Data Add-on, previously charged only on HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO Shift 4G and Samsung Epic 4G devices, will now apply to activations and upgrades of all smartphones.

11:34:51 AM : Jennifer C: Current customers won‘t be impacted until they:
    Swap to another smartphone
    Upgrade from a feature phone to a smartphone
    Add a new line with a smartphone
    Reactivate a smartphone

11:35:01 AM : Jennifer C: You can keep this chat as a confirmation for the same.

11:35:18 AM : Moore: Does that include warranty or TEP device swaps?

11:36:51 AM : Jennifer C: It'll affect the activations and upgrades of all smart phones.

11:37:37 AM : Moore: So when i take my Pre in for a TEP replacement as I did yeaterday due to a malfunction. The $10 kicks in?

11:38:51 AM : Jennifer C: It'll be charged as a $10.00 Premium Data.

11:40:50 AM : Moore: wow, so a TEP replacement qualifies as an activation? Doesn't seem right

11:42:01 AM : Jennifer C: As it's the replaced phone, it's the reason it'll be charged as $10.00.

11:43:36 AM : Moore: Ok, I appreciate the information. Thank you

11:44:17 AM : Jennifer C: Is there anything else I can assist you with?

11:44:40 AM : Moore: No, that was it

11:44:57 AM : Jennifer C: Thank you for contacting Sprint.

11:45:03 AM : Jennifer C: Have a nice day.
  6.    #126  
    Yep, this is definitely going to hit the family plans much harder than the individual plans. It really makes them much more expensive per line. All I can say is that if their hardware selection doesn't improve substantially, I'm going to think really hard about signing a new contract with them. This change more or less takes price out of the equation for me on a family plan. So it will come down to timing of the contract and device selection. All three carriers have a pretty decent signal where I live.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I definitely think they need to reconsider. Gonk24, you signed a contact for one rate and on a warranty swap they're going to charge you more on the same phone??? I could see maybe if you changed phones entirely, but an identical warranty swap is not a true reactivation in a sense.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have been a Sprint customer for over 10 years - so I'm trying to determine if this means that I will NOT be charged the $10 fee for my loyalty, or if it is only my main line that will not be charged.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I have been a Sprint customer for over 10 years - so I'm trying to determine if this means that I will NOT be charged the $10 fee for my loyalty, or if it is only my main line that will not be charged.
    10yr loyalty only applies to the Premier program changes and qualifies you for Gold. The $10 premium data charge will apply to all smartphones (once a different phone is activated) regardless of how long you've been with Sprint
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I definitely think they need to reconsider. Gonk24, you signed a contact for one rate and on a warranty swap they're going to charge you more on the same phone??? I could see maybe if you changed phones entirely, but an identical warranty swap is not a true reactivation in a sense.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Trying to figure out - if I plan on switching to either the Epic or EVO Shift, will it make any difference if I do it before or after Jan 30?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Both the Evo Shift and The Epic already have the $10 charge
    Did anyone ask why this isn't a breach of contract on their part? If you need an identical warranty or insurance replacement, that is. It's not like you're jumping to another phone because it's hot. You're just asking to continue service on the same phone under the same contract.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Did anyone ask why this isn't a breach of contract on their part? If you need an identical warranty or insurance replacement, that is. It's not like you're jumping to another phone because it's hot. You're just asking to continue service on the same phone under the same contract.
    Thats what i was thinking, you can't force me into different contract, because of a warranty replacement. Class action anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    does this mean all smartphones will now have "real" unlimited data, not the 5gig limit?...im pretty sure the 4g devices up to this point were truly unlimited.
    With Sprint, we've had unlimited data. Verizon is the one whose 'unlimited' data was capped to 5gigs.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    Thats what i was thinking, you can't force me into different contract, because of a warranty replacement. Class action anybody?
    Exactly. They cannot force a new price upon you just because you activated a new device on your account. Unless you sign a new contract, they cannot add fees for "premium data."

Now if you have a flip phone and THEN added a smartphone, they could at that time add other fees because you've changed phone classes, but they cannot just change contract terms because they want more money.

Same with the new Premier program -- they cannot legally change the terms of the program for you until you upgrade your contract. I suggest everyone here contact the Attorney General in your state and file a complaint, requesting legal action be taken against Sprint, in the form of a class action suit filed on your behalf by the Attorneys General of the states in which you all reside.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    Both the Evo Shift and The Epic already have the $10 charge
    Because those are "4G" phones and in a separate phone class (i.e. the 3G smart phones are in the "3G Smartphone" class, whereas those are in the "4G Smartphone" class, requiring additional services).
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Because those are "4G" phones and in a separate phone class (i.e. the 3G smart phones are in the "3G Smartphone" class, whereas those are in the "4G Smartphone" class, requiring additional services).
    Even though they are 4G, Sprint was very careful how they worded the extra fee. They've always said it was a charge for "Premium Data," not for 4G.
    Now that I HAVE to pay $30 more per month for my plan, I might switch over to AT&T... I get better coverage where I work anyway...

I'll have to go through the plans and see if it makes sense. I just hope the new Palm phones are released on AT&T. I don't feel like paying for an unsubsidized unlocked GSM phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Now that I HAVE to pay $30 more per month for my plan, I might switch over to AT&T... I get better coverage where I work anyway...

I'll have to go through the plans and see if it makes sense. I just hope the new Palm phones are released on AT&T. I don't feel like paying for an unsubsidized unlocked GSM phone...
    In contrast, I would LOVE an unlocked GSM phone, and don't mind that it's not subsidized. But I don't think I want to move to AT&T, especially as I'm afraid I'll end up with expensive data overage charges.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast