Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    The new CDMA standard does support Voice+Data. I just don't if it is just a software change or does it require a hardware change also.

Maybe Sprint is going to one-up Verizon on Feb 7th. Sprint maybe annoucing that there 3g network will now support Voice+Data (the magic part of the invite) and to celebrate, they will release the iPhone4.
    ....................... I was just thinking about this..... if the announcement is simultaneous voice and data, that would be pretty cool. That might account for the 10 dollar data fee....

Ok, I think you might have blown the lid right off of this one Watson...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I wonder if this isn't a change because of negative feedback from the 4G $10 surcharge. So, they decided to make it ALL smartphones. That is more palatable for me and others that will not have 4G service for a long time.
    I see pandas.
    I realized the OP may mean; will this violate the contract on the same phone? I'd say so, how can they just raise your price before the contract is up? Carriers can change plans to benefit them at any time, despite the contract? How's that a contract then?

I know AT&T gets away with this crap on data plans, but that's when you change to a smartphone and think they don't know, which they do.

Thread got merged, but the OP from the original thread seemed to be wondering about contract violation.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/18/2011 at 05:11 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If all they are doing is adding a fee to everyone to make sure it's fair, why not add a 10 dollar fee to all 3G phones? Those darned flipphone users get away with all kinds of stuff.... bunch of mooches.

<thread merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Because they are unable to handle full demand with current tech, I imagine. Not that they couldn't have seen it coming, but maybe it happened faster than they have been able to upgrade the networks and expand coverage.
    But seriously, what did they THINK would happen once the iPhone and various Android devices started catching on a couple years back?
    I don't think that's the case. I don't think Sprint is actually expecting fewer users becaue of the $10 fee.

In other words, I don't think it's a disincentive. I think it's just a way for them to make additional money, and now that more devices use the technology, they know that more users will be willing to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think that's the case. I don't think Sprint is actually expecting fewer users becaue of the $10 fee.

In other words, I don't think it's a disincentive. I think it's just a way for them to make additional money, and now that more devices use the technology, they know that more users will be willing to pay for it.
    I think calling it a 10 dollar fee actually is a disincentive. Now if they had said we are offering our unlimited plans for 79.99 and giving you a free rotary phone, then they would have something.

Nobody likes fees... even if after paying them, you are still paying less for your service than if you were somewhere else.

It's a price hike for smartphone users, disguised as a "fee". Same as other carriers who charge more or mandatory plans for smartphone usage.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    nobody seems to realize that sprint is still the cheapest there is and both att and verizon recently raised their rates by about 10 dollars as well if you look over at webOS roundup they have a comparable list lol ...... better yet i will post the link right here lol

http://www.webosroundup.com/wp-conte...5360593466.jpg
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    as a matter of fact sprint is 20 cheaper than t-mobile and more than that with att and verizon lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Just did a quick comparison check with the other carriers:
    family plan 4 lines

att 239
    sprint 209
    verizon 258
    t mobile 229

sprint still the cheapest so it looks like i'm staying put.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I think calling it a 10 dollar fee actually is a disincentive. Now if they had said we are offering our unlimited plans for 79.99 and giving you a free rotary phone, then they would have something.

Nobody likes fees... even if after paying them, you are still paying less for your service than if you were somewhere else.
    So you think they are trying to get people to drop data coverage, possibly even drop Sprint, to avoid paying the $10?

That's what a disincentive is; a fee that is meant to discourage people from doing whatever the action is.
    It's more than a fee, it's a way to raise the price of your plan without giving you a discount on it. Remember how Sprint changed it so "add-ons" less than $20 don't have a discount applied to them?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Seems to me the move is to Verizon with LTE instead of being alone on Sprint's Wimax. I cannot imagine paying extra for a smartphone, whether 3G or 4G (Wimax) when it is not even available in my area.

I also have 4 lines and combined we use less than 2 GB data/month. Seems like a lot to pay.

I am in the middle of verizon country so maybe that's the way to go.
    I just had to point out here, that the Blackberry use to charge an additional fee. And I can't quite remember -- someone who has one, speak up -- but didn't the iPhone at one point in time include a ten dollar charge every month extra? I am not on sure on that one, but I know the Blackberry did.

Although I still think that even with the additional fee, Sprint is the cheaper choice.
    So much for me hoping that the feb.7 announcement was for david blaine to make the $10 dollar premium data fee disappear.

however i am thinking that there is a big announcement on the 7th which will make this 10 dollar add on sting less.
    no way they would add a fee with the verizon iphone release coming. We are either getting somthing out of it or it's not happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    no way they would add a fee with the verizon iphone release coming. We are either getting somthing out of it or it's not happening.
    Maybe they will allow free tethering on all smartphones now. hoping
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Maybe they will allow free tethering on all smartphones now. hoping
    I would be excited for that if I had not already been able to do that on my last 2 Sprint\Palm smartphones (Treo & Pre).

For this, they had better announce that David Blaine is magically making the 3g network turn 4g in all existing service areas overnight and that my existing 3g phone will start magically receiving 4g overnight as well.

well we will have to wait and see. Something good is coming and this 10 dollar fee is prob some part of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yep, rumor is they're creating a new "Sprint Premier Gold" level that you have to be at $89.99 to get, all others stay at regular Sprint Premier level and lose their yearly upgrade.
    This blows!

Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    Not to mention sprint is changing there sprint premier upgrade status in april too,

Rants and Raves:*CONFIRMED* Sprint Premier is D.E.A.D

basically no more 12 month early upgrades with 150$ discount for premier customers on 69.99 evd plan. that will change to 22 months with 75$. To qualify for the one year discount at $150 you will have to be on at least the 89.99 plan
    From the Web link above:

Sprint Premier Gold customers receive all the current benefits of Premier, including annual upgrades on 1 line per qualifying plan (or 10+ years service). All other lines on a Premier account currently are upgrade eligible every 22 months under Sprint's New for You Program.
    To be Sprint Premier Gold, customers must have at least 6 months tenure and meet the following qualifications:
    Individual plans with a 3 month average MRC of at least $89.99 OR
    Shared plans with a 3 month average MRC of at least $169.99 OR
    Tenure of 10+ years with Sprint Wireless
    Good standing
    2011 marks my 9th year with Sprint...D'oh!

It doesn't say anything about having a wireless broadband card plan in combo with a phone plan, which I have (currently 3G since 2008). Thank goodness my broadband card is month to month now. I might have some leverage come April...

Can we hold off on buying a new phone by then?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast