Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    That chart is dog ****. It's made by Sprint and compares their 450 min voice plan with unlimited voice plans from the others. Of course they are cheaper. Or do you have to have unlimited voice on the others?
    Do the others offer 450 minute voice plans with their unlimited data?

I use about 50 minutes of voice calling if I use the phone a lot in a month. I could easily hold that to 20 minutes, if I were paying per minutes. If I could get pre-paid minutes with an unlimited data plan and a decent phone, I would jump at it. I looked into trying to get that with the unlocked Pre 2, but I don't think it flies.

I think Sprint's chart is the right one for me. It looks like the cheapest "lots o' data" plan on a smartphone from each carrier, which is what I am in the market for.
    Maybe the rumor of Sprint iPhone is correct. Every time the iPhone comes around, other upgrades get changed to near the end of the contract or it gets more expensive to upgrade before the end of the contract.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Or it could be they plan to charge $10/month more for 3G phones (same addl price for WiMax stuff) so people will buy the WiMax phones rather than the 3G phones (if they can get their new "4G" phones for the same monthly price as the regular old 3G stuff, then why not)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Do the others offer 450 minute voice plans with their unlimited data?

I use about 50 minutes of voice calling if I use the phone a lot in a month. I could easily hold that to 20 minutes, if I were paying per minutes. If I could get pre-paid minutes with an unlimited data plan and a decent phone, I would jump at it. I looked into trying to get that with the unlocked Pre 2, but I don't think it flies.

I think Sprint's chart is the right one for me. It looks like the cheapest "lots o' data" plan on a smartphone from each carrier, which is what I am in the market for.
    Looks like ATT has available:

DataPro 2 GB for iPhone $25.00/month
    Nation 450 w/Rollover® Minutes $39.99/month
    Messaging Unlimited $20.00/month

So, $84.99 a month, much less than the $114.99 listed on chart and only ~$5 more than Sprint (although limited 2 GB of data).
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Looks like ATT has available:

DataPro 2 GB for iPhone $25.00/month
    Nation 450 w/Rollover® Minutes $39.99/month
    Messaging Unlimited $20.00/month

So, $84.99 a month, much less than the $114.99 listed on chart and only ~$5 more than Sprint (although limited 2 GB of data).
    thanks.

Yeah, I shopped AT&T. Bad phone service in my area and limited data. I don't use a lot of minutes, but I use a lot of data. (Less than 2gb, but I can see getting there.) So I guess that's why I decided it looked a lot worse than Sprint. Still worse, but not as much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    $69 + $10 = $79 not $89. The yearly upgrade is going away too. You'll have to have a single plan of $89.99 or higher or a family plan of $169.99 or higher to continue to get the full discounted yearly upgrade. It's changing to 22 months if you don't qualify.

Rants and Raves:*CONFIRMED* Sprint Premier is D.E.A.D
    Thanks for the math correction, don't know where my head was! I had no idea that they were changing the yearly upgrade requirement. IMO that is the bigger disappointment than the $10 charge.
    There are some pretty funny posts in here, probably because change is always assumed bad (at first) and the carriers only make changes that are good for their bottom line - which is ALWAYS true.

But, there is a little bit of perspective needed. For example:

VZW hasn't announced pricing for iPhone plans yet, so Sprint users shouldn't panic yet. You can bet that VZW will be closer to AT&T in how they structure and price things, and you can bet the new data plans will will be higher - not just for iPhones but for everything that touches their LTE network.

3G and 4G generate the same amount of data consumption for a given task. A skype call or movie download is the same size for either... the only difference is speed. Sprint had the chance to "test-market" price elasticity of higher data charges on all the early adopter that ran to the EVO. Instead of eliminating the 4G charge, it makes sense (to them) that it is nothing more than increasing their price for data services because they can't prevent reductions in prices for voice services.

The secondary pain from 4G is that people consume more data as the experience improves. Faster throughput and bigger screens cause users to use their phone more and their PC less. So the wireless network is absorbing a major portion of the growth in overall internet traffic. Smartphone users are also using data for more things and more frequently than if they had to be at home to access data. The early adopters create a disproportionate amount of traffic growth relative to the next wave of followers that will be entering the smartphone world.

Remember, more than 60% of the total traffic on AT&T's network is iPhone traffic... not phone calls. The iPhone isn't even close to 60% of the phones used by their subscribers, but it is still killing their network.

I don't know anyone on Sprint that comes even close to hitting their 450 minute limit because it only applies to land-line calls. Sprint knows this means they wont be able to increase prices or revenue for voice services. Verizon and AT&T know this too.

At the end of the day, you will probably see your average monthly bill stay the same or increase only slightly, and you will see VZW go up relative to Sprint. And will only until competitive pressure forces them to start declining. In my case, I went from a $15 tethering plan on Verizon to a $29 data plan when I upgraded from Centro to the Pre+, but my overall monthly bill actually went down... Not what I expected.
    Relative increases are still increases. Hopefully my paycheck goes up to offset my Sprint bill.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

PS, does the $10 increase apply to each phone in the family plan? One place that VZW is killing their subscribers is in requiring the $29 data plan (the $15 plan is useless) for all smartphones on a family plan... Ouch! Another reason my kids aren't getting an iPhone or even my Pre+ when I get the next webOS hotness...
    The 10 bucks is per line.

So..

if I'm currently on a family data 1500 and I decide to change the smartphone on any of those lines, it's a additional $10 each. I'm not up for another upgrade till June(since they're gonna kill premier at it's current price it April, it's accually April 2012), it seems that no new webOS phone are coming to the Sprint network. I may just leave. Does this count has an material change?

-Current Plan
    Family Data 1500 $129.99
    Upgrade yearly for primary line(easy to switch primary #)

-New Price Hike
    Family Data 1500 $129.99
    Data for two lines $20.00
    total $150
    Quote Originally Posted by xcharles718 View Post
    So..

if I'm currently on a family data 1500 and I decide to change the smartphone on any of those lines, it's a additional $10 each. I'm not up for another upgrade till June(since they're gonna kill premier at it's current price it April, it's accually April 2012), it seems that no new webOS phone are coming to the Sprint network. I may just leave. Does this count has an material change?

-Current Plan
    Family Data 1500 $129.99

-New Price Hike
    Family Data 1500 $129.99
    total $150

Once you upgrade your phone(s), you will acquire the $10 fee per phone per upgrade. So if you upgrade both phones at the same time, it will be $20. Upgrading one phone will be $10.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcharles718 View Post
    So..

-Current Plan
    Family Data 1500 $129.99

-New Price Hike
    Family Data 1500 $129.99
    total $150
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Once you upgrade your phone(s), you will acquire the $10 fee per phone per upgrade. So if you upgrade both phones at the same time, it will be $20. Upgrading one phone will be $10.
    Which is how they avoid the material change. If you upgrade your device, you agree to new contract terms that include the 10 bucks.

How they are going to get around this when you do a simple ESN swap is beyond me.

wait so nobody knows what the $10 charge is really about. What if it's a good thing! What if sprint charges $10 a month but drops the cost of the phone by that much.
    So, 10 dollars a month over a two year contract yeilds 240 dollars. They might drop the cost of new devices by 240 bucks? I think not.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Relative increases are still increases. Hopefully my paycheck goes up to offset my Sprint bill.

I'm sure your pay will go up, but that increase is already earmarked for new taxes, but that's in a different thread...
    Nickel and dime.... not just for Verizon, we can do it too....

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    We have 5 lines on our family plan, 4 of them are Pre phones. This will certainly mean that there is no more loyalty for Sprint. Its pure price now.

This also means I will hang with the Pre for some time, and likely go ahead and get the last child on the smart phone now before the 30th so that we can then exist for a year or more on the phones we have now.

As far as this family is concerned, this means at the very least a significant delay before Sprint gets ANY new phones from us, and once we do start getting phones, other carriers will be in the running.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    Lets go over this really quick. Hypothetical.

I just bought a brand new (non-4G) smartphone from Sprint. So I now have a 2-year contract for $69.99 everything data plan.

Lets say the phone breaks so I buy a new one on ebay and wish to activate that on my account. I now have to pay $79.99 to run the exact same phone on my exact same contract.

Does anything about that sound fishy to anyone else? Wouldn't they have to let you out of your contract for that? Thats the mother of all bait and switch. Get you signed on a 2-year plan, give you a crappy phone...then tell you you have to pay $10 more when that phone breaks if you want to use your phone anymore? Once they already have you signed on for 2 years, this seems shady.
    This is why I think that the 10 dollar fee for ESN swaps for the same equipment is probably not going to happen. Raising the cost of your contract results in a breach of said contract by Sprint. They can get away with this on the 4G because it is added features/functionality. Can't say that with your old Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Maybe the rumor of Sprint iPhone is correct. Every time the iPhone comes around, other upgrades get changed to near the end of the contract or it gets more expensive to upgrade before the end of the contract.
    The new CDMA standard does support Voice+Data. I just don't if it is just a software change or does it require a hardware change also.

Maybe Sprint is going to one-up Verizon on Feb 7th. Sprint maybe annoucing that there 3g network will now support Voice+Data (the magic part of the invite) and to celebrate, they will release the iPhone4.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast