Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Just saw a tweet from Sprint. They're now going to charge an extra $10/month for all smartphone activations, not just 4G. So it looks like that extra charge really wasn't for 4G after all. See link.
    Sprint Newsroom | Mobile Data Information Center
    Personally I welcome this new charge. This is obviously a move to be able to continue to offer their unlimited data plans. I'd much rather have to pay a flat $10 per month extra to keep my unlimited data, rather than go to a tiered plan like most other carriers have adopted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it should only be relevant when you activate a new smartphone, and therefore it would be a new contract anyway.
    I am under the impression that the charges would go into effect from an ESN swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    so this amounts to a material change in terms of service, meaning we should be able to get out of our contract, right? If so, I'm going to look at a pay as you go phone. I've paid alot of money for a device that I rarely make calls on...starting to not make sense...
    It does not, it only applies when/if you activate a new phone. You can continue using your smartphone now and not pay the extra $10. Once you change phones, however, you'll be hit with the new charge.

However, a loophole can be if you activate a new phone WITHOUT a new contract (ie buying it at full price to be used on your already existing contract). If you do that, you might have an argument.
    Please read the link in my first post. They will start that fee if you do an esn swap!

•Existing smartphone customers will remain on their current rate plan, until they upgrade, perform an ESN swap or activate a new smartphone
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    I can't believe they're doing this, period. Boy, US carriers are truly annoying!! But we have company with Canadian and a few EU carriers too, it seems. Must be "figure out the best way to gouge customers" time of year.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well, break down for me on Verizon is:

450 talk: $39.99
    Smallest text package: $5 (I don't text a lot, so 250 is plenty)
    Unlimited Data: $29.99
    ----------------------------------
    = $74.98

If I tack on the Navigator, then it's: $84.98. That's versus $79.99 on Sprint. A whole 5 bucks, but better coverage (in my area). Worth it to me.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    However, a loophole can be if you activate a new phone WITHOUT a new contract (ie buying it at full price to be used on your already existing contract). If you do that, you might have an argument.
    I don't think this is true, they will start charging you once you activate your new phone regardless of where you got the phone from.
    Thats not a loop hole:
    •Existing smartphone customers will remain on their current rate plan, until they upgrade, perform an ESN swap or activate a new smartphone
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    it's really annoying for pre-minus users that have to replace their phone every 3 months :-D

edit: and if we really needed more incentive to plus our pres
    They're already going the way of the dodo. Metered data for everyone, even home internet users eventually(some already do have tiers).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What's an ESN swap consist of? I mean, if you're getting sent another Pre because lets say, yours has a nasty USB crack creeping up, is that an ESN swap?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Yes Malpha, although I think(hopefully) insurance claims can get around this.
    Sprint.... nice move.... what's next? Adding a woodshed behind each Sprint store?
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    What's an ESN swap consist of? I mean, if you're getting sent another Pre because lets say, yours has a nasty USB crack creeping up, is that an ESN swap?
    There was an earlier post that said insurance swaps DO NOT count as a change of ESN, so you would NOT be charged the extra $10 in that case.

Kevin
    The ONLY way I can see this as no big deal is IF they drop the $10 charge for "4G". If you now have to pay $20 extra for 4G (new 10 charge + 10 for wimax), they are off their rocker.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Good, I will be claiming insurance for a long time to come...
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Let's do a breakdown of the numbers for those of you (non family plan) people saying that this is now Verizon/AT&T territory:

AT&T

900 minutes (the lowest plan that has unlimited nights and weekends): $59
    Unlimited Text: $20/month
    2GB Data (no unlimited option): $25/month
    AT&T Navigator: $10/month

Total: $104/month plus taxes and fees

Verizon

450 Minutes and unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited text: $59
    Unlimited data: $29.99/month
    VZQ Navigator: $9.99/month

Total: $99/month

With Sprint you're getting all of these for $69/month, plus the $10 add-on it's $89/month PLUS yearly upgrades.

The price is still cheapest and you're getting yearly upgrades as opposed to upgrades every 20 months.

Obviously I'd rather pay $10 less each month, but if that's what it takes to bring nation-wide 4G AND keep the perks such as upgrades I'm ok with it, which is why I plan on staying with Sprint. My thinking is that (again, non family lines) people who use this as a reason to leave are people who were just looking for a reason to leave in the first place.

$69 + $10 = $79 not $89. The yearly upgrade is going away too. You'll have to have a single plan of $89.99 or higher or a family plan of $169.99 or higher to continue to get the full discounted yearly upgrade. It's changing to 22 months if you don't qualify.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/251774
    Yep, rumor is they're creating a new "Sprint Premier Gold" level that you have to be at $89.99 to get, all others stay at regular Sprint Premier level and lose their yearly upgrade.

As for the ESN swapping, I'm going to just go ahead and get it done now rather than chance it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    It's replacing the $10 wimax. It's a "premium data" fee now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ev99wutang View Post
    webOSroundup has a chart pricing all the carriers factoring in this new $10 charge. As others have said if you're on an individual plan it's not so bad, but if you're on the family plan it stings.

The chart can be found here:

Sprint adds $10 fee for Premium Data add-on starting January 30th | webOSroundup
    That chart is dog ****. It's made by Sprint and compares their 450 min voice plan with unlimited voice plans from the others. Of course they are cheaper. Or do you have to have unlimited voice on the others?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast