Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    you are right...
    "•All customers activating a new line or upgrading/swapping existing lines pay the fee

This is BS. Swapping should noty incur a fee...
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Just curious. Where did you hear that?
    Just an assumption. Nothing more, nothing less.

But if HP wants their next device to be a flagship type device, then Sprint will want it to have WiMax.
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    so if one has a 4G phone and is already paying the extra 10 a month, will this mean we will need to pay another 10 a month?
    Quote Originally Posted by eden922 View Post
    so if one has a 4G phone and is already paying the extra 10 a month, will this mean we will need to pay another 10 a month?
    No, it's in the press release. The 4G charge is going away.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    This is very disappointing. When all of my friends with iPhones brag that the Pre is not a good phone, I always go right to the fact that they pay A LOT more per month and it's just not worth it. (The argument that the Pre is better than the iPhone is just not worth the hassle with them, so I always go to price). If Sprint ups their pricing, that will be a disaster without new hardware.

However, I think Sprint is setting it self up for failure anyway by going with WiMax. They are the only US carrier doing so, everyone else is going with LTE, along with most of the rest of the world. WiMax will isolate Sprint so much, it is a colossally bad move.

I hate to say it, but when I go to upgrade my Pre to whatever is coming next, if they don't waive this $10 fee when I call, I may have to leave Sprint after 10+ years. Ugh...

Kevin
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    The next least expensive network for unlimited data family plans, T-Mobile, just became a much more viable option. If a new WebOS phone is announced to be available in June on another network, I'm much less likely to stay with Sprint based on monetary reasons. The combined costs of home internet service and mobile internet service for a middle class family is getting cost prohibitive. I hope voip and ubiquitous free wifi hotspots become a reality in the near future, because I'm beginning to feel the pinch from the cellular service companies, and this Sprint family plan price hike of 21.9% [1500 min, 3 line family everything, ($137+$30)/$137 = 121.9] is not looking good for cost trends in cellular service.
    Last edited by tyea; 01/18/2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: clarification on cost calculation
    Sprint's new plan comparison chart is very scandalous, It compares Unlimited Calling of all the other carriers to sprint's 450 MIN. plan with unlimited any, mobile any time. It should compare sprint's real Unlimited plan, where then it is only like $10 dollars cheaper than verizon.

The thing that I think is odd was that, Didn't sprint force everyone to get a Everything Data plan, who wanted a webos or android phone, for the same reason that they are now charging an additional $10 per month.

They should add this extra $10 charge, only to very high end phones, whether 4G or not. Not all smartphones.

The good thing though is that at least we know they will not move to tiered data like ATT and Verizon did, as a response to these super smartphones.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    The Premium Data Add-on charge applies to:

* All smartphones operating on the CDMA, iDEN and 4G networks.
    o A smartphone is defined as a device that supports a robust operating system including: Android, BlackBerry, Instinct, Palm and Windows Mobile.
    * All customers activating a new line or upgrading/swapping existing lines (consumer, IL, and most CL customers).

The Premium Data Add-on charge does NOT apply to:

* S&R exchanges (warranty or insurance events)
    * 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee devices exchanges for handsets activated 1/1/11 to 1/29/11
    * Existing smartphone customers will remain on their current rate plan, until they upgrade, perform an ESN swap or activate a new smartphone
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    so this amounts to a material change in terms of service, meaning we should be able to get out of our contract, right? If so, I'm going to look at a pay as you go phone. I've paid alot of money for a device that I rarely make calls on...starting to not make sense...
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    and I'll just get my webOS fix from that tablet...
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Does upgrading one phone on a family plan initiate the price hike for all lines on the family plan?
    Not to mention sprint is changing there sprint premier upgrade status in april too,

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thre...reqsorting=dec

basically no more 12 month early upgrades with 150$ discount for premier customers on 69.99 evd plan. that will change to 22 months with 75$. To qualify for the one year discount at $150 you will have to be on at least the 89.99 plan
    Quote Originally Posted by tyea View Post
    Does upgrading one phone on a family plan initiate the price hike for all lines on the family plan?
    No.. Not from the bgr report

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    looks like I'll be spending an extra $40 a month once I upgrade all my lines (family plan 4 lines).
    sprint may no longer be significantly cheaper than other carriers at this point.
    Nope i believe this makes tmobile the cheapest now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    I'm not getting the picture;how is the Sprint's price increase related to Sprint possibly getting the iPhone?
    As everyone who gets a 4G phone has had to pay this increase anyway I only see two reasons for this incease.

1. A non 4G phone is going to be released and Sprint wants to capture as much money as possible by increasing prices.
    I would guess that the new Palm flagship device at least will be Wimax so this wouldn't seem to be done for a Palm phone. The iphone4 is only 3G though at this time so they could be raising the price for the iphone4.

2. They want to remove the disincentive to upgrade to 4G phones by making the price the same accross the board. It doesn't seem that this would matter as much as in time everything will be 4G anyway, but by doing this it will help speed the process along and allow sprint to increase revenue on anyone buying 3G phones.

I just hope they fold the price into the Everything plans as there would be no phone at that point that could get an everything plan without the $10 fee. Hell they're even lumping the 'instinct' as a phone that would have to pay this fee in the future. Keeping the fee seperate would just be a deceptive marketing practice, but I guess the cell phone companies are nothing if not deceptive.
    Will we be able to leave without an early termination fee? I wonder if they will offer the $20 off for 24 months again?
    I still cant believe they will charge this 10 fee if you swap phones that you already own. (esn swapping)

http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/18/more-i...mium-data-fee/
    webOSroundup has a chart pricing all the carriers factoring in this new $10 charge. As others have said if you're on an individual plan it's not so bad, but if you're on the family plan it stings.

The chart can be found here:

Sprint adds $10 fee for Premium Data add-on starting January 30th | webOSroundup
    Let's do a breakdown of the numbers for those of you (non family plan) people saying that this is now Verizon/AT&T territory:

AT&T

900 minutes (the lowest plan that has unlimited nights and weekends): $59
    Unlimited Text: $20/month
    2GB Data (no unlimited option): $25/month
    AT&T Navigator: $10/month

Total: $104/month plus taxes and fees

Verizon

450 Minutes and unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited text: $59
    Unlimited data: $29.99/month
    VZQ Navigator: $9.99/month

Total: $99/month

With Sprint you're getting all of these for $69/month, plus the $10 add-on it's $79/month PLUS yearly upgrades.

The price is still cheapest and you're getting yearly upgrades as opposed to upgrades every 20 months.

Obviously I'd rather pay $10 less each month, but if that's what it takes to bring nation-wide 4G AND keep the perks such as upgrades I'm ok with it, which is why I plan on staying with Sprint. My thinking is that (again, non family lines) people who use this as a reason to leave are people who were just looking for a reason to leave in the first place.
    Last edited by pavvento; 01/18/2011 at 02:22 PM.
    it should only be relevant when you activate a new smartphone, and therefore it would be a new contract anyway.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast