Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    It says the fee will be for smartphone activations, so I'm thinking that my three lines will cost me an extra $30 per month once they are upgraded. That takes me into Verizon and AT&T territory as I currently understand their pricing on family plans. Sprint is tossing away their price advantage. I think this will cost them customers.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    They are still offering "all you can eat", unlike Verizon and AT&T. So this might reflect that, as well.
    Verizon has "all you can eat"

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Does this new rate also apply to Sprint Premier customers? Don't we get free activations? Does this fee not count as an activation, but a new rate?
    It's not an activation fee. It's an additional monthly charge for premium data.
    I don't think sprint realizes how fast this is gonna spread as Negative news all over

Facebook, twitter, blogs...

and you will hear cries of jumping ship

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It says the fee will be for smartphone activations, so I'm thinking that my three lines will cost me an extra $30 per month once they are upgraded. That takes me into Verizon and AT&T territory as I currently understand their pricing on family plans. Sprint is tossing away their price advantage. I think this will cost them customers.
    Looks like the service providers' rates have all pretty much matched up. Choosing a network is now about phone selection and coverage.
    Ehh, Verizon is still evil*. So there are other things to consider as well as price, service, and coverage.

* For example, they lock down as much as possible and sell it back to you as a premium service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Looks like the service providers' rates have all pretty much matched up. Choosing a network is now about phone selection and coverage.
    However, I lets not forget what dan Hesse said.. That soon it's not going to be about minutes, those will be given away, this will be about data.. (and I believe he said, starting 2011)

And with Wimax and LTE coming out with simultaneous Voice and data .. We may see a Plan price drop

Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    They are still offering "all you can eat", unlike Verizon and AT&T. So this might reflect that, as well.
    This is probably just the first of several changes. Don't forget, last September Hess was already hinting that unlimited data probably wouldn't last forever (Sprint CEO hints unlimited data could end if usage gets crazy).
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    However, I lets not forget what dan Hesse said.. That soon it's not going to be about minutes, those will be given away, this will be about data.. (and I believe he said, starting 2011)

And with Wimax and LTE coming out with simultaneous Voice and data .. We may see a Plan price drop

A plan price drop will only happen when premium customers leave but overcoming inertia to stay may mean not many people do leave

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    So I've been thinking about one of the mvnos. Too bad you can't use outside phones with straighttalk. What about metropcs?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Found the quote

"Originally, talking was the only cellphone application," said Dan Hesse, chief executive of Sprint Nextel. "But now it's less than half of the traffic on mobile networks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/technology/personaltech/14talk.html?_r=1
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Seems to me the move is to Verizon with LTE instead of being alone on Sprint's Wimax. I cannot imagine paying extra for a smartphone, whether 3G or 4G (Wimax) when it is not even available in my area.

I also have 4 lines and combined we use less than 2 GB data/month. Seems like a lot to pay.

I am in the middle of verizon country so maybe that's the way to go.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if carrier fees worked like airline fees, where as soon as one of them comes up with a new fee, it'll only be a few months before all the rest start charging it too.
    This is extremely unfortunate, granted it doesn't hurt me as much as people who are paying fully for their own plans. I'm on my parents family plan so I only pay the extra that I want. (Paid the difference to get to unlimited data)
    But now I'm going to have to pay another extra $10 when I get my new HP smartphone.

Although it sucks, I guess it's still cheaper than most of the other phone companies. Sprint has mostly been the cheapest out of the big 4, and now they need some help from their customer paying a little extra so they can get some revenue.

I'll stick with Sprint for a while unless they get ridiculously out of hand or something. But I really don't see that happening.

WebOS 2.0 on new devices is going to be sick consider it's amazing on older devices.
    Sprint Love
    To those who think they're raising the cost because they're getting something new and shiny on their network, I strongly doubt that. Everyone else is raising their prices or capping their plans, so Sprint is able to raise their prices some while still being cheaper than everyone else. Those in the biz generally refer to this as "price fixing." Lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    But now I'm going to have to pay another extra $10 when I get my new HP smartphone.
    Considering that the next HP smartphone will likely have 4G, you would have to pay the $10 fee anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
    To those who think they're raising the cost because they're getting something new and shiny on their network, I strongly doubt that.
    Well, if they aren't, they'll lose subscribers anyway. People want the "latest and greatest". If Sprint does NOT getting anything "new and shiny," they'll need to start some serious price cuts instead of upcharges. To me, this is clearly a case of getting out in front of some new demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Considering that the next HP smartphone will likely have 4G, you would have to pay the $10 fee anyway.
    Just curious. Where did you hear that?
    Well this had to come now since raising prices would not be an "industry first" for the Feb 7th announcement
    So if one buys a non 4 G phone before the 30th and activates it, like the Optimus, you avoid the $10 per month for the next year (til my next upgrade?) Is that right?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast