View Poll Results: What did you think about the Sprint Announcement?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great!!!! Don't know what I was worrying about.

4 2.68%
  • Well, at least it's something.

14 9.40%
  • Kyocera?!?!?!?!?!?

21 14.09%
  • Uh, Sprint.... Sprint???? Anyone home? Think Sprint, Think....

110 73.83%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Maybe it will be an announcement for the iPhone. I could see that happening since the only real difference between Sprint and Verizon with CDMA is ROM programming.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Maybe it will be an announcement for the iPhone. I could see that happening since the only real difference between Sprint and Verizon with CDMA is ROM programming.
    That would put a serious spin on things, wouldn't it?

"Hi guys, we have the iPhone like Verizon. Unlimited internet and hotspot AND $40 / month cheaper"
    an iPhone annoucement on sprint is in no way "making the impossible possible"...
    How about we stay away from the iphone thing. :P
    Sprint Love
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    an iPhone annoucement on sprint is in no way "making the impossible possible"...
    It is if it has WiMax before Verizon's has LTE :P
    I just had a brain fart, thinking outside the box, maybe it is entirely unrelated to HPalm and something like no cost unlimited texting or no extra cost for international calling provided you have available minutes.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    It could be not the same day to build suspense.... just saying it is a possibility.
    It's fantasy, it's simply not going to happen - if they were working together, the events would have been co-ordinated to provide that double-punch not "oh so that's our network event, tune into HP's event in a couple of days for some other stuff"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with what you're saying but...2 days before an HP announcement?
    Extremely unlikely they would undermined HP like that.
    They won't undermine HP. It will probably be casual or vague, and you can bet that whatever it is has been agreed to between them ahead of time. Both Sprint and H/Palm have known about these dates for months. Neither is going to be surprised by the other. I've been involved in these things before, and the have NDAs and joint planning constantly. Not only with each other, but with other parts of their own companies so that a H/Palm announcement doesn't make a surprise an announcement in HP or the carrier that would undermine stuff.

One strong possibility is that the Sprint announcement could be ONLY Sprint announcing the iPhone like VZW did yesterday. Now that it's got a CDMA radio and VZW doesn't have an exclusive, it could be Sprint rushing to announce their iPhone plans. Even if it will be late in the year and a WiMax iPhone, it would make sense for them to announce the iPhone before they lose subscribers to VZW, and to freeze AT&T subs that would rather be on Sprint so they can steal subscribers from AT&T. That would be really smart of Sprint to do.

But IF it's about more than the iPhone, I'd guess any H/Palm mention will be about like it was when Palm announced the Pre2. They said "VZW and a Canadian carrier in the coming months".There is no way H/Palm said that without VZW approval, and without the Canadian approval they had to be a bit more vague. You would probably see Sprint talk about "other brands" or "future H/Palm devices" without specifics.

I think Sprint is going to talk more about long-term stuff, and hardware discussions will be more about WP7, Tablets, and anything else that will help to take attention away from VZW getting the iPhone. Unless they are announcing the iPhone, which I think is a strong possibility.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    You make an interesting point in that the Palm announcement may rely on a carrier to provide service "X" which is not available at this point. Although I doubt this is the case unless HP/Palm is throwing a lot of money at Sprint to either subsidize the price of "X" or develop service "X". The two announcements could be related, but I won't go so far as to say they definitely are related.
    I think this is exactly what's going to happen.

My dream is that it will work out like this:
    Sprint announces the ability to have multiple devices connected to a single number and contract for a nominal fee on it's current plans. There's limitations like only 1 of the devices can make calls, access data, etc. They mention current hardware that will be pushed apps or OS updates to support this feature and alludes to future devices. David B.'s role is to so some slight of hand pulling devices in and out as if he was entering different situations. Mostly advertised to the active person. Bring your feature phone hiking, use your smart phone at work and day to day, use your tablet at home/work, etc.

Two days later HP announces multiple devices capable of taking advantage of this new service. A slab flagship do everything phone, the worlds smallest smart-phone, a tablet, and a smart watch. Contacts, calendar, etc are synced across the cloud so every device will be ready to go when it becomes the currently active device.

My dream service plan...
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The purpose of holding a press event is not to impress the audience but to give them something they can write about in the lay press. There's no article that can be written about some bundle or service that will be interesting especially in light of verizon launching the iPhone. There has to be some picture-worthy hardware. And you would never tell them to come back in 2 days to hear the punch line from a different company. Come on
    Thats why I think it will be a pricing deal and announcing their products, and maybe something else.

You make an interesting point in that the Palm announcement may rely on a carrier to provide service "X" which is not available at this point. Although I doubt this is the case unless HP/Palm is throwing a lot of money at Sprint to either subsidize the price of "X" or develop service "X". The two announcements could be related, but I won't go so far as to say they definitely are related.
    Dan Hesse back in Dec. 2010 hinted at doing what was discribed. Said everyone WILL be moving that way. Because the big problem with have tablets on 3/4G is that a lot of ppl can't afford the data for it. So to make it cheaper, add it to what they currently pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    I don't think they will be JUST announcing the iPhone, but announcing that you can have an iPhone and iPad on the same data plan WAY cheaper then what Verizon or ATT can do will dramtically change things, wouldn't you say? In fact, maybe they waited till the 7th to announce this is to make sure Verizon doesn't quickly throw this together and steal Sprints thunder.

But again, we shall see.
    Last time sprint made a big announcement is what ANY MOBILE ANYTIME, which they added to everything plans for free. that was quite awesome of them.

hopefully this announcement changes anymobile anytime to just truly unlimited minutes. so now theres only a need for the 69.99 price plan.
    im guessing new device line ups becuz the silence at ces or,
    data+voice on CDMA connection or,
    lower prices on 4g or some stuff like that....
    im hoping its not something stupid like that ID thing for andriod...
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I'm betting the Evo Shift and the HTC 7 Pro will both be showcased.
    Global Posts
    909 Global Posts
    the launch of Windows Phone 7
    ^
    oh yeaa maybe some windows phone 7 sprint love !!!! first CDMA WP7 device duh!
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    Not outside the realm of possibility might be support for simultaneous voice+data on a CDMA network.

There was anouncement of this over of years ago:

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    This is a good possibility. If they announced this, right behind it they will announce the CDMA iPhone that can do voice+data.
    I vote for Sprint implementing LTE and having dual LTE/Wimax phones, until they can convert everything to LTE that is. Could be they are implementing wimax2 (802.16m) too but I doubt it.
    This would be a 'first' in the industry, but would be more of a move conceding defeat in the wimax / LTE war. With no one else going wimax in the US, it seems to only make sense to change as it is nice to be able to roam on another network when you are off of your own.
    this will NOT have anything to do with palm/hp as most android sites have been invited.

speculation is either:

evo2

free 4g....

wimax to lte

a merger or takeover of t-mobile that was rumored awhile back.

some speculate the iphone or a 4g iphone but i doubt it.

whatever it is, it's being done to try to steal thunder from verizons iphone launch.

the bottom line is sprint has something BIG up their sleeves and they have been very quiet lately.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Let's see:
    Super "football game" Sunday the 6th.
    Sprint announcement on Monday the 7th.
    HP/Palm announcement on the 9th.
    I guess I'll sleep on the 10th...
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast