View Poll Results: What did you think about the Sprint Announcement?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great!!!! Don't know what I was worrying about.

4 2.68%
  • Well, at least it's something.

14 9.40%
  • Kyocera?!?!?!?!?!?

21 14.09%
  • Uh, Sprint.... Sprint???? Anyone home? Think Sprint, Think....

110 73.83%
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    The timing and the use of Industry First make for some fun speculation.

of course it could make for boring stuff for pre-central readers like doom and gloom, but what fun is that?

I think that perhaps this will be some larger network/pricing/packaging deal that they will begin offering.

one truly wonderful thing they could do that would be industry first is

1) a shared plan between devices. IE you pay your regular monthly bill but you get service on a tablet and a phone, and they share the same number so calls go to both.

add in some kind of archetecture that supports the inevitable use of both devices simultaniously and boom, super awesome!

now for the timing.

Imagine announcing such a plan and saying compatible devices "in the near future" whats more near than 2 days later, (one day of course, but its a rhetorical question, common give me some slack)

TADA HP announces a slurry of new devices but the killer part is the ecosystem! yes now you can have your cake and eat it too, as long as that cake is a webOS phone and Tablet on sprint you share the plan without all the hassles and charges! huzza! perhaps also some other devices are available too like a home modem and a touchstone dock, where you can now use your computer to surf your wimax connection via your smartphone, or whatnot. now of course it goes without saying in an optomists post that all the other things webOS could use to get feature parity would be met, this would be the step ahead they could offer to make heads turn.

that would purty darn cool methinks.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well they probably won't announce a bunch of HP connected devices a few days before the HP webOS event. In fact, you would have to infer that whatever they may be doing with HP isn't that important to them otherwise they wouldn't have scheduled the event this way.
    I do agree with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by PJaE00 View Post
    Im thinking it may be more of a service announcement than a product announcement. I dont think Sprint would spend money on David Blain to promote a phone, they would probably leave that up to the phone manufacturer.
    I think it might be both. They didn't have a big presence @ CES 2011 -- maybe because they wanted to announce their 2011 Road map plus a new pricing structure.

Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    It might be a WiMax Revision for better speeds as LTE and HSDPA is leving Sprints so called "4G" network in the dust.
    Thats possible, as well.

However, guys, I do wonder if part of this announcement might be that Sprint is getting the iPhone. I just gatta wonder. We'll see.

But Hesse hinted at adding a pricing for "unlimited data" with all your connected devices, making it where you can have tablets and phones at one price. I bet thats what they are announcing, along with phones -- and we can hope, the iPhone.
    Sprint's event will not have anything to do with HP/Palm or WebOS! If it was WebOS related they would have been on the same stage of HP/Palm on Feb 9th or had there event after HP/Palm event.
    Not outside the realm of possibility might be support for simultaneous voice+data on a CDMA network.

There was anouncement of this over of years ago:

http://www.cdg.org/news/press/2009/Aug17_09.asp

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Maybe they'll start allowing any CDMA phone to be activated on their network...

Wishful thinking...
    You know what? With the position Sprint has been in lately, this wouldn't be a bad idea and could happen. I think they might reveal a dual-band WiMax/LTE device.
    I got it! First, on the 7th, Sprint makes a huge announcement telling the World that they love HP, then on the 9th, HP announces the whole lineup of new stuff, and then on the 11th, all the folks who come to this forum to complain and find fault will have a press conference and apologize for being.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    in an effort to reward the dedication and loyalty of all the day one pre owners, Sprint is going to give the next generation webOS device to all the Pre minus owners for free...
    I hope not, I switched to Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    Not outside the realm of possibility might be support for simultaneous voice+data on a CDMA network.

There was anouncement of this over of years ago:

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    But that's not really a first is it? I guess for CDMA networks it is..but GSM can do that already.
    Sprint Love
    I have a feeling they'll announce something network related and then HP will announce something two days later that will be the first to utilize whatever it is that sprint has announced
    What does everyone think it will be about? Personally, I think they'll be announcing the iPhone as well.
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    hmmm they got me wondering... The iPhone 4G who knows...
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    I have a feeling they'll announce something network related and then HP will announce something two days later that will be the first to utilize whatever it is that sprint has announced

Naw, if that was the case, it would be on the same day to showcase Network + hardware.
    <<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    The timing and the use of Industry First make for some fun speculation.

of course it could make for boring stuff for pre-central readers like doom and gloom, but what fun is that?

I think that perhaps this will be some larger network/pricing/packaging deal that they will begin offering.

one truly wonderful thing they could do that would be industry first is

1) a shared plan between devices. IE you pay your regular monthly bill but you get service on a tablet and a phone, and they share the same number so calls go to both.

add in some kind of archetecture that supports the inevitable use of both devices simultaniously and boom, super awesome!

now for the timing.

Imagine announcing such a plan and saying compatible devices "in the near future" whats more near than 2 days later, (one day of course, but its a rhetorical question, common give me some slack)

TADA HP announces a slurry of new devices but the killer part is the ecosystem! yes now you can have your cake and eat it too, as long as that cake is a webOS phone and Tablet on sprint you share the plan without all the hassles and charges! huzza! perhaps also some other devices are available too like a home modem and a touchstone dock, where you can now use your computer to surf your wimax connection via your smartphone, or whatnot. now of course it goes without saying in an optomists post that all the other things webOS could use to get feature parity would be met, this would be the step ahead they could offer to make heads turn.

that would purty darn cool methinks.
    You make an interesting point in that the Palm announcement may rely on a carrier to provide service "X" which is not available at this point. Although I doubt this is the case unless HP/Palm is throwing a lot of money at Sprint to either subsidize the price of "X" or develop service "X". The two announcements could be related, but I won't go so far as to say they definitely are related.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Naw, if that was the case, it would be on the same day to showcase Network + hardware.
    It could be not the same day to build suspense.... just saying it is a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The purpose of holding a press event is not to impress the audience but to give them something they can write about in the lay press. There's no article that can be written about some bundle or service that will be interesting especially in light of verizon launching the iPhone. There has to be some picture-worthy hardware. And you would never tell them to come back in 2 days to hear the punch line from a different company. Come on
    come on too you sir! Were having fun thinking about possibilities, it's a winter wunderland here in MA and I'm all positive from a snow day.

to your point about the press event and needing a camera friendly device to sho

I don't see any good reason why not.

sprint did it with asus at there wimax event back in the day. Asus said they would support it, didn't really do anything exciting hardware wise that day, it was all about the plans/tech.

say what you want but I like my theory cause it's a fun one, and not completely insane too boot.
    Last edited by windzilla; 01/12/2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    You make an interesting point in that the Palm announcement may rely on a carrier to provide service "X" which is not available at this point. Although I doubt this is the case unless HP/Palm is throwing a lot of money at Sprint to either subsidize the price of "X" or develop service "X". The two announcements could be related, but I won't go so far as to say they definitely are related.
    agreed

I'm certainly not saying definite things here, just possible things that would make a precentralite salivate
    okay, how about this?.... they turn the wimax network up a few notches then they eliminate their voice network and strickly use VoIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I cant imagine that would go over well with Verizon. They just got the iPhone and here comes Sprint saying that they can just buy that phone and activate it on the Sprint network even before Verizon sells their first iPhone.
    Verizon and Apple made it very clear on Tuesday that this was a non-exclusive deal. You could very well buy a "Verizon" iPhone and activate it on Sprint if Sprint allowed it. The only hurdle here being Sprint (and of course, if the phone is locked).
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast