View Poll Results: What did you think about the Sprint Announcement?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great!!!! Don't know what I was worrying about.

4 2.68%
  • Well, at least it's something.

14 9.40%
  • Kyocera?!?!?!?!?!?

21 14.09%
  • Uh, Sprint.... Sprint???? Anyone home? Think Sprint, Think....

110 73.83%
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I think there's a bigger point. This is a struggling company. Has been for a great while. It's struggling to add users and to retain the ones it has. EVO kinda gave it some life. So Sprint as a company needs to attract customers so flawed execution matters a lot. They needed to impress people. They needed to impress investors and consumers alike. I think this is also something people may take as evidence that sprint "doesn't get it" and thus aren't likely to wake up in the future. To me this is such a no brainer that it wouldn't impress that i question the acumen of the people running Sprint. This wasn't even an I don't know if it will be a hit or not like many other android phones. I'd have bet my house (if i had one) the public would not be satisfied. Why? Well there's nobody clamouring for a dual screened phone. The reason you know iphones will sell on verizon is cause people have been demanding one for years. I mean hell if they had released a phone doing cloud storage of all music or 1080p video recording i'd have at least thought someone would like it. Cause that is stuff i hear consumers discussing (cloud storage and HD). This just seems so meh. You release this phone and hope it sell just not with all the fanfare. The phone may run fine but to have all the hype seems a colossal business failure.

They achieved the classic business blunder. They over promised and under delivered.
    I respect and understand this point of view. But I do believe there is space in the market for a pocketable device with a larger screen area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    look at it from a market perspective. Premier Rewards are expensive for them, and they are the cheapest carrier for smartphones. With the $10 increase, they are still highly competitive and aggressive with their pricing... believe it or not, market dictates a rate increase, not just corporate greed. And as far as the epic goes, has any Galaxy S phone on any carrier been updated? how is sprint to blame for this?

if people are upset about these issues with sprint, they'd shouldn't even think about switching to the others!
    Well anyone claiming they are switching carriers because of this announcment are not very brite !! Now after the hp announcement that's a bigger deal or no deal imho . Because if sprint does not pick up a phone from HP/Palm then I go to another carrier where I can get some webOS action !!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    LOL @ claiming someone is not smart if they leave Sprint because of a phone while stating that you will leave Sprint because of a phone.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Reading the Sprint Facebook page and their twitter feed, Sprint has riled up people, especially the Android *******. They cannot even being reasoned with... I stopped trying. I like my Evo and there is plenty of life left in it. Dual-core phones don't make much sense now. Android 2.2 does not support it. From what I read on Engadget, that will come with 2.4 in April. Just in time for a dual-core Evo2 and then the ******* can start praising Sprint again.

By the time I can upgrade in October, I hope there are WP7, webOS, Android, and maybe even the iPhone to choose from... That is really what Sprint needs. Good choices that aren't Android... That is what many people want. Choice.
    This event was a complete epic fail. Yeah its a industry first. Not the kind of "industry" that we were all thinking. I think sprint was just trying to get in on all the fan fair. But honestly this phone will fail.

I can see one thing without a doubt. It requires a special SDK just to take advantage of the dual screens let alone the amount of customization required to do this you won't be seeing updates very often.

Just another gimmick. Why didn't they do a industry first with the inductive charging from the palm pre...

Seriously thoe, when was the last time you actually saw a company listen to what the consumers what? Their focus groups never seem to contain the teachies. Verizon contained moms :-p
    Last edited by Klownicle; 02/08/2011 at 07:25 AM.
    If it just kinda came out quietly like the Zio and the Optimus S, it wouldn't be a problem. It would be a curious little bauble, and we'd all move on about our day.

But if you're a struggling carrier with not too many bullets in the chamber, you gotta make each shot count, and you never, EVER put what little oomph you have behind an experimental device from a somewhat lowly manufacturer with no real American presence. If this were poker, all of the other carriers and manufacturers turned their cards up with various full houses and flushes, and Sprint took a look at one ace in the pocket and pushed all of their chips in anyway. Makes no sense.

But congrats...with a bomb like this, anything HP (and Dell today) announces will look much better by comparison.
    Like some others have posted, I was surprised when I found out what this major announcement was about. The phone might be OK but Kyocera must have really sponsored this event because no way Sprint would do this much fanfare for a single product. There was not even that big of event for the EVO 4g. In the market we live in today there will still be tons of people buy this phone and eventually there will be many copycats off of its design.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Like HP, Sprint is thinking "beyond". That would be beyond Stupid.

They have had some serious issues lately. Phones, contracts, pricing, etc.
    Dan
    It's sad when I realize it would have been a bigger deal if they'd introduced a 3D phone. Even THAT would have been better for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by javaman1234 View Post
    Like some others have posted, I was surprised when I found out what this major announcement was about. The phone might be OK but Kyocera must have really sponsored this event because no way Sprint would do this much fanfare for a single product. There was not even that big of event for the EVO 4g. In the market we live in today there will still be tons of people buy this phone and eventually there will be many copycats off of its design.
    Normally I would agree, but these aren't normal times. Just recently, there was another major US carrier that held an event for a single phone. That phone will change the fortunes of that company, and the industry. Slipping further into irrelevance, Sprint desperately wanted to echo that result.
    I would like to know who the 4 people are who thought this was a good thing....

Nothing like crying wolf.... next time Sprint has a special anything, no one will come.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Normally I would agree, but these aren't normal times. Just recently, there was another major US carrier that held an event for a single phone. That phone will change the fortunes of that company, and the industry. Slipping further into irrelevance, Sprint desperately wanted to echo that result.
    I see what you did there...

My new name for the echo going forwards is the "fail sandwich"
    Quote Originally Posted by relic419 View Post
    It's the general frustration from a lot of current Sprint customers because of the recent trends.

• Premiere becoming gold and silver
    • Mandatory $10 increase, even for non 4G phones
    • Lack of 4G in so many locations, yet paying premium for it
    • Lack of updates for the Samsung Epic
    And even with all that, Sprint is still easily the best choice. That speaks more for the other carriers than it does Sprint.

The lack of updates for the Epic is Samsung's fault, not Sprint's. It's not like Samsung has created the update and Sprint is withholding it just to spite everyone. I'm sure they will release it as soon as Samsung gets it to them. If you want to abandon someone for that failure, abandon Samsung.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I would like to know who the 4 people are who thought this was a good thing....
    You are only missing two names then because the other two were on stage at the event. When you find the other two, let me know so that I may help you slap them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    And even with all that, Sprint is still easily the best choice. That speaks more for the other carriers than it does Sprint.

The lack of updates for the Epic is Samsung's fault, not Sprint's. It's not like Samsung has created the update and Sprint is withholding it just to spite everyone. I'm sure they will release it as soon as Samsung gets it to them. If you want to abandon someone for that failure, abandon Samsung.
    look at it from a market perspective. Premier Rewards are expensive for them, and they are the cheapest carrier for smartphones. With the $10 increase, they are still highly competitive and aggressive with their pricing... believe it or not, market dictates a rate increase, not just corporate greed. And as far as the epic goes, has any Galaxy S phone on any carrier been updated? how is sprint to blame for this?

if people are upset about these issues with sprint, they'd shouldn't even think about switching to the others!
    Actually, both Samsung and Sprint are complicit in the lack of updates for the Epic. Samsung has passed on the code to Sprint, and they have to add their carrier nonsense to it. An earlier build of Froyo (directly from Sprint!) was leaked all the way back in October. If their engineers weren't busy preparing this stupid Echo device, I'm sure we'd have a stable build by now.

As soon as the story about Samsung withholding the update for the Vibrant on T-mobile hit the news, T-mobile (not Samsung) released the update within days! Images have leaked of AT&T captivate running Froyo. I think the Fascinate Froyo build just leaked too. So yes, I blame Sprint, and their misdirected priorities.

Let's just hope they can redeem themselves by carrying whatever devices HP announces, as well as some higher end Android phones, and even WP7. They still have MWC and CTIA.
    IF (and its a big IF) they can get some apps (especially some games) to actually take advantage of the dual screen, I think there is a chance that this device could be a modest success amoung non-power users. The event was just silly given this was all they had to announce.

Also could bode well for an high-end HP/Palm phone (if there is one) assuming Sprint carries, it. One less phone to worry about as competition...
    ..and the Fail Sandwich continues to be pummeled in the media circle..

Twin trouble: Five pitfalls of Sprint’s dual-screen Kyocera Echo

I really hope Sprint just authorizes the devices to be used on their network and HP does all the footwork. I REALLY don't believe Dan would say "Here is our 'first of it's kind' device on Sprint exclusively, buy it!" and then say "Here are the latest and greatest devices from HP! Uh, buy these but don't forget about our Echo!"

Just not happening...his focus will be on the Fail Sandwich until he's ousted from office...
    Actually HP will market their own phones and put them out on carriers like sprint who won't need to market anything because HP took care of it themselves !

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I just took a look at Sprints stock prices & while it is down a little, it didn't tank like some people were thinking. Nonetheless they are still taking a beating everywhere you look!!
    I respect and understand this point of view. But I do believe there is space in the market for a pocketable device with a larger screen area.
    I would not dispute that point. I think the EVO is proof of that. And i demoed an EVO and, yes, i found it perfectly pocketable.

But you mentioned the backlash. So my response was in that context. Just that i think for a lot of people it's not just about the specific device it's more about the direction of the company. And a loss of confidence when that is what they chose to push. I think If they'd released this with a normal press release and that's it i think you'd see almost no "backlash." Mostly it wouldn't have been built up.

Quote Originally Posted by McRoth View Post
    I just took a look at Sprints stock prices & while it is down a little, it didn't tank like some people were thinking. Nonetheless they are still taking a beating everywhere you look!!
    yeah it's not like Sprint all of a sudden lost all it's customers. Now they could in the future. But this announcement, doesn't erase all of sprints earnings. it just makes it look like it's not going to get much better, unless they get some better phones. But stocks usually move a little on rumors or bad news. And truthfully, who knows how much stock investors are paying attention to sprint forums and facebook page. They may not even know just yet. But if they report earnings and subscribers are declining or not growing at a rate people expect or if they miss earnings you can be it will drop some. But that may not be for a bit.