View Poll Results: What did you think about the Sprint Announcement?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great!!!! Don't know what I was worrying about.

4 2.68%
  • Well, at least it's something.

14 9.40%
  • Kyocera?!?!?!?!?!?

21 14.09%
  • Uh, Sprint.... Sprint???? Anyone home? Think Sprint, Think....

110 73.83%
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122 LastLast
    I wrote Sprint with my thoughts and got this back. Ive edited it a little bit (cut out irrelevant parts):

Dear ******,

Thank you for contacting Sprint. I understand your disappointment
    regarding the Kyocera Echo advertisment.

Sprint introduced the first dual-touchscreen 3G Android™ smartphone,
    Kyocera Echo™. Echo features two high-resolution 3.5-inch touchscreen
    displays connected by a patent-pending pivot hinge that enables the two
    displays to operate independently, side-by-side or combined to form an
    oversized 4.7-inch display. Echo is the first device that allows busy
    customers to do a different task on each of two screens while also
    providing a tablet-like experience that easily fits in a pocket when
    closed.

To learn more about what we have up our sleeves, visit: Sprint | Introducing the Kyocera Echo™ - only from Sprint

It is our policy at Sprint to make advertising decisions based on the
    demographics of the audience and not on the nature of the associated
    event or media broadcast. Our goal is to reach our current and
    prospective customers through this venue; our advertising is not an
    endorsement for or against any particular cause, candidate or political
    viewpoint.

While we understand your disappointment in the advertising.

Your feedback is important and we appreciate you taking the time to
    contact us.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your
    questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be
    of assistance.

Sincerely,
    Sprint

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    ========================================================================
    Name: ********
    Form: Ask A Question Learn OR Feedback and Suggestions - Learn
    Topic: Equipment
    Contact Number: 8*********
    ========================================================================
    Original Question: Enter what you are looking for
    Question: I wanted to formally write you guys that the Kyocera Echo and
    its announcement by far was one of the worst marketing / anticipation
    ploys I have ever seen. I cannot begin to describe how let down I feel
    right now looking for a new device. Ive stayed out of contract with my
    original Palm Pre because since that phone (even with the massively poor
    hardware quality) there has been NOTHING that has piqued my interest. I
    thought Sprint was going to announce something REALLY COOL with all the
    hype and talk. Im sure many worked hard on this but I cant believe this
    got the green light. I really really really hope you all have considered
    what HP might bring to the table on Wednesday. If not well, you probably
    get the idea what I might end up doing soon.
    This was just embarassing.

What are they thinking.

Last year they had the two hottest phones, the EVO and the Epic. And now this?

Somebody needs to be fired.

At least HP has no fear that Sprint stole their thunder.

The only sound was a whimper.
    i really don't think the echo is as horrible as a lot of people are making it out to be. We tout the multitasking abilities of our webOS devices. Here's a concept that could expand on that by actually allowing us to actively use more than one application at a time.

Sure the execution flawed, but I don't think all of this backlash is warranted.

at the very least, its a neat concept. i commend manufactures for actually trying to differentiate their android products instead of throwing in typical hardware upgrades and letting google do all of the work. Skins only get you so far.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 02/07/2011 at 11:35 PM.
    I'm a bit puzzled by all the "I'm going to cancel my Sprint contract because of this announcement!" claims being made. Sure the Echo is a mind-blowing failure, but it's not like it hurts Sprint or their service. They are still the best carrier, and my Pixi still runs fine on their network despite the existence of this abomination. Kyocera will be the one to lose big here.

Back when I used to sell dumbphones I got the strong impression that Kyocera made cheap pieces of **** anyway (Slider series, anyone?) so I wouldn't be sad to see them go.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I'm a bit puzzled by all the "I'm going to cancel my Sprint contract because of this announcement!" claims being made. Sure the Echo is a mind-blowing failure, but it's not like it hurts Sprint or their service. They are still the best carrier, and my Pixi still runs fine on their network despite the existence of this abomination. Kyocera will be the one to lose big here.

Back when I used to sell dumbphones I got the strong impression that Kyocera made cheap pieces of **** anyway (Slider series, anyone?) so I wouldn't be sad to see them go.
    It's the general frustration from a lot of current Sprint customers because of the recent trends.

• Premiere becoming gold and silver
    • Mandatory $10 increase, even for non 4G phones
    • Lack of 4G in so many locations, yet paying premium for it
    • Lack of updates for the Samsung Epic
    Where is the "insult dog" when you need him. This one is worthy of being pooped on.
    Quote Originally Posted by relic419 View Post
    It's the general frustration from a lot of current Sprint customers because of the recent trends.

This.
    Sorry to veer off topic, but, I live in Texas, and without googling it, I can't figure out what the heck cheese foam is. Am I alone in this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Sure the execution flawed, but I don't think all of this backlash is warranted.
    I think there's a bigger point. This is a struggling company. Has been for a great while. It's struggling to add users and to retain the ones it has. EVO kinda gave it some life. So Sprint as a company needs to attract customers so flawed execution matters a lot. They needed to impress people. They needed to impress investors and consumers alike. I think this is also something people may take as evidence that sprint "doesn't get it" and thus aren't likely to wake up in the future. To me this is such a no brainer that it wouldn't impress that i question the acumen of the people running Sprint. This wasn't even an I don't know if it will be a hit or not like many other android phones. I'd have bet my house (if i had one) the public would not be satisfied. Why? Well there's nobody clamouring for a dual screened phone. The reason you know iphones will sell on verizon is cause people have been demanding one for years. I mean hell if they had released a phone doing cloud storage of all music or 1080p video recording i'd have at least thought someone would like it. Cause that is stuff i hear consumers discussing (cloud storage and HD). This just seems so meh. You release this phone and hope it sell just not with all the fanfare. The phone may run fine but to have all the hype seems a colossal business failure.

They achieved the classic business blunder. They over promised and under delivered.

I'm a bit puzzled by all the "I'm going to cancel my Sprint contract because of this announcement!" claims being made.
    I think you can look at it this way. I'm sure there are plenty blustering just to bluster. But i'm sure there are tons that have contracts due to end in the next few months or that have been out of contract for a while that decided they'd wait to thru xmas, or thru CES, or thru the Sprint event, or even thru the WebOS event. So for them like many this was the bright line. They'd see what happened today and that was it. if not they'd move. I think its similar to webos users on sprint that are waiting to see if whatever webos announces will be on sprint. If not a they may just go to android or another carrier.

you also mentioned it's the best carrier. I think it all depends where you are. i get dropped calls a lot. I left sprint in like 2001 cause of bad customer service and no reception indoors too. And when i travel to my parents house, that's in the south, in a populated area, but not really a major city, i get no data. My phone is basically good for phone calls and texting and that's it. And texting may not actually get sent when you hit send. That's an issue for someone that uses his phone mostly NOT for making phone calls. For me it's just OK. The only plus is it's cheaper. But if that's not your only concern I can see why there are some people that would want to switch.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 02/08/2011 at 12:16 AM.
    Posted this in another thread, should have put it here.

I like sprint for the prices, but c'mon that was a weak showing. That should have been a kyocera event. They should have talked about speed increase, pricing plans, services, etc. They're a wireless telecommunications company, not a hardware company. An event that shocased the echo which does one-tasking? What were they thinking just because there are more screens doesn't mean you can do more things. Customers aren't that dumb. This was their big unveiling??? HP please don't let us down. I hope they make a phone with multiple antennas, so if I don't like Sprint I could switch to another carrier without buying new hardware for a specific wireless coverage. One phone to rule them all.
    Who is ripping off Sprint more? Kyocera or David Blaine? Both are crooks if they think they should be paid for today's fun....
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/08/2011 at 01:45 AM.
    That new device reminds me of the Nintendo DS. I don't particularly like the virtual keyboard but that's just me. I like feeling the keys under my fingers.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    I think the basic concept has merit and at the $199 pricepoint there is the inkling of an idea here BUT:

-Android doesn't really multitask the way it needs to for this device so going to be hard to get the biggest advantage, two apps running at once. Likewise not many apps are going to be able to take advantage of the two screens and how many devs will modify for just this phone?

-no 4g would have been ok before the $10 was put on ALL smartphones.

-packing the extra battery and charger and making a point of it is a bad sign. Reminds me of Reynolds including the lighter with their fake cigarettes since using a match made them smell like sh#t.

-not having the specs to be a high-end phone is OK especially at this price. But you don't hype and mid range phone with one gimmick like this and expect the types of people you invited to be estatic.

-still looks clumsy in some of the demos and the gap is still too big between the screens to use it a one big screen.

Sent from Evo using Tapatalk
    I'm a bit puzzled by all the "I'm going to cancel my Sprint contract because of this announcement!" claims being made. Sure the Echo is a mind-blowing failure, but it's not like it hurts Sprint or their service. They are still the best carrier, and my Pixi still runs fine on their network despite the existence of this abomination. Kyocera will be the one to lose big here...
    I think the "quitting Sprint" chatter is because of an assumption that this is "it" - no other new flagship type devices.

I think they're wrong, but if it's me that's wrong. It's likely I'll be changing carriers soon.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    "Originally Posted by Best quote on cnet
    this is a fail sandwich on fail bread with extra failsauce, a side order of fail, and a fail soda "

- that is the best!

but I will admit that I like the Kyocera 7135 or whatever it was. I thought the hinge you fall off but it didn't . I think Kyocera is known for making phone with good reception too, or was that sanyo?
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_deck View Post
    Cool design? Looks like my son's DSi. But seriously, do you buy a smartphone for the design or the functionality?
    design
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Agree completely with previous post #407...Total fail...total fail...there is no spoon...***? My point exactly!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Now that we have release info for the Pre 2 on Verizon and Sprint's "big announcement" is nothing more than an a 3G Android phone with a unique form factor, I can't think of many incentives to stick around. While Sprint isn't exactly forcing people to leave, the changes in policy are at least encouraging customers to evaluate their relationship with Sprint.
    If Sprint is serious about the Echo, they need a better gimmick. Run two apps at the same time? Let's face it, most people don't have the coordination to do that. The only people I know with dual-monitors are developers or people whose job it is to monitor social media. These are the kinds of people who can concentrate on two different things running on multiple screens at the same time, but even then those two things must be closely related or they will only be able to concentrate on one of those things.

Let's look at the other consumer dual-screen device, the Nintendo DS. The DS has been a success beyond imagination for Nintendo, not because you can run two "apps" on two screens. It's a success because so many good games take advantage of the dual-screen and the unique control opportunities the provide, and to great effect. The gimmick has that you have one touch screen, one play screen, and it worked.

Now I don't see a lot of developers talking about taking this approach with the Echo. I don't know if Kyocera and Sprint thought about the opportunities a dual-screen handheld provides, beyond "multitasking" with two apps running at the same time. Maybe someone else will. Maybe someone else will get it and provide people with the gimmick they expect from dual-screens. Kyocera sure didn't get it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by relic419 View Post

look at it from a market perspective. Premier Rewards are expensive for them, and they are the cheapest carrier for smartphones. With the $10 increase, they are still highly competitive and aggressive with their pricing... believe it or not, market dictates a rate increase, not just corporate greed. And as far as the epic goes, has any Galaxy S phone on any carrier been updated? how is sprint to blame for this?

if people are upset about these issues with sprint, they'd shouldn't even think about switching to the others!