1.    #1  
    I've been with Sprint for almost 8 years and while I love my phone plan and the fact that the Pre was a Sprint exclusive, I'm starting to debate whether I'm with the right carrier or not. I'm on vacation in Lima, Peru and here things are way more open and practical. You buy a SIM card with the plan and carrier of your preference. Then, you pick whatever phone you want. At the same time, you can buy phones with dual Sim cards, so you can get two different carriers in one phone. So many possibilities and choices... From what I see the CDMA technology is nothing, but an old dinosaur here. So that got me thinking, why is Sprint and Verizon still using this old technology? Will LTE bring Sim cards to Sprint and Verizon? There is nothing more convenient than getting an unlocked phone and swapping Sim cards every time you travel. What do you guys think?
    It is true that CDMA is not worldwide and you cannot switch phones easily. Plus if you do try to use the phone overseas in areas that still use it, roaming agreements are likely going to kill your bill. That has always been a big drawback for me.

I don't travel overseas so much and AT&T began to me off, so I can deal with CDMA for US but internationally, it is truly not the way to go.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    LTE will be sim card, but can you imagine how long it will take before they don't need their 3g to fallback on?

Also, Sprint is rolling out wimax, and while they might migrate to LTE, it will be a long time before it's fully sim.

If you get your phone with your contract, then it will be locked to carrier.
    Yeah, I don't travel, so it's not an issue...
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    I don't care to much for CDMA. I wish Sprint and Verizon were GSM with the same frequencies as European phones so I could buy phones cheaper and switch them easier. Like I did when I had Suncom (T-mobile).
    CDMA is on its way out. It won't be gone soon enough.
    Sprint serves me well, because I never go outside the U.S. and Canada.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I don't care to much for CDMA. I wish Sprint and Verizon were GSM with the same frequencies as European phones so I could buy phones cheaper and switch them easier. Like I did when I had Suncom (T-mobile).
    +1

Why can't all phones be universally useable and unlocked? haha
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    A side note on international travel -

For most people, a 'world phone' is not a good deal anyway. Even on GSM the international roaming can be horrendous. Virtually every international airport on the planet has a store where you can buy an inexpensive burner phone. i.e. a cheap pay-as-you-go phone. In some countries, as I discovered on a trip to South Korea last summer, you can even rent a phone; and the rates were very friendly.

Add to that the proliferation of internet cafes and WiFi hotspots that will allow you to make skype calls and keep in contact with email or social media sites, and the need for the average traveler to to have a world phone is further diminished.

Granted, the jetsetting businessman may still need one, but not as much as a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    my thoughts. I had sprint for like three years, couldn't get any reception in my apartment. switched to tmobile. to this day the best cell company i've had. Best no hassle customer service. Now Tmobile was the best considering i only had sprint before. But Tmobile worked in my apartment. Had them for about 8 years. Never once entered a tmobile store for service. but i digress. moved back to sprint for the Pre. honestly. i didn't have a smartphone before so it's exactly the same to me. i dial a number. it makes a call. same on gsm as cdma. i don't know about all that data and voice at the same time. i've never in my life, even now that i have a smartphone wanted to use data while talking on a call so it's not an issue. i don't travel outside the states (cause i'm broke at the moment) so i don't care about international carriers and having a compatible phone. Even if i did i wouldn't pick my phone based on where i'll be a few days every couple years. I also live in a big city and rarely travel to rural areas either so my reception is was pretty good even on tmobile. I lived in San Francisco and pretty much all carriers suck their cause of the mountains. I am nervous about AT&T cause they have a bad rep in Cali. But overall i see almost zero difference in gsm vs cdma except some do better in buildings. i dial the number and the call goes through. Same on GSM as CDMA. for me thats pretty much all that matters.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 01/12/2011 at 01:39 PM.
    Personally I don't travel outside of the states, yet I do travel within the states often. CDMA is pretty consistent with getting me a signal in my travels. Going to Vegas from New Mex, alotve of my friends who had GSM lost Coverage off and on, while I had reception most of the time. I'm honestly anxious to try out LTE/4G/WiMax

The only trade off is using data/voice at the same time. I would love to be able to quote something from the web, or be able to use data on a call. It's important to be connected in my line of biz. However for now I'll stick to Sprint and there affordable price plans
    Quote Originally Posted by nrcsbrooks2 View Post
    I do travel within the states often. CDMA is pretty consistent with getting me a signal in my travels. Going to Vegas from New Mex, alotve of my friends who had GSM lost Coverage off and on, while I had reception most of the time. I'm honestly anxious to try out LTE/4G/WiMax
    this was kind of a distinction i was trying to make in my above post. I really think that is a carrier issue like verizon vs at&t thing rather then a cdma vs gsm thing. i had free roaming on at&t so i only dropped lost coverage if at&t had not coverage. And i was only on voice then. i have the same issue with my pre voice connection. i get it everywhere cause it roams onto verizon. but where sprint doesn't have coverage i get no data. it doesn't roam onto verizon. And i lost 3G connections on the way from LA to Vegas too on. And i was in south carolina over the xmas and got no 3G at all unless like i stood in the middle of the street with one foot in the air and the phone in the air like the statue of liberty. By contrast my dad has Verizon, also cdma, and his connection was perfect. Both cdma, in the same house, getting different connections. So i think how developed the carrier is in a given area is hugely important to whether you lose connections.
    Thats the only thing I miss about AT&T. If your phone for whatever reason stops working, You could just take your sim card out, grab an old phone you had lying around, stick in the sim card and you were good to go til you got your phone fixed or replaced. Now im on verizon. If my phone is non functional, I have to make all these calls to get another phone activated. Problem is, I have all these old AT&T phones so if that ever happens, I have to go into a store to get a replacement.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Thats the only thing I miss about AT&T. If your phone for whatever reason stops working, You could just take your sim card out, grab an old phone you had lying around, stick in the sim card and you were good to go til you got your phone fixed or replaced. Now im on verizon. If my phone is non functional, I have to make all these calls to get another phone activated. Problem is, I have all these old AT&T phones so if that ever happens, I have to go into a store to get a replacement.
    I know with Sprint you can just go to their website to activate another phone, as long as you don't do it too many times in a row (I have had to call or pull up a chat when testing too many phones in a row, heh).

I had a habit for a while of forgetting my Treo at home, and I kept a spare dumbphone in my car. If I forgot, I would grab the dumphone, go to their website, and activate it for the day. I couldn't have done that with a sim.

Somehow I always remember my Pre 2 now. I think having it up on the car-mounted touchstone helps...