Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82
  1.    #1  
    I saw this post in another thread. It doesn't really go there, but it got me thinking. Mods, feel free to merge/move this whereever you see fit:

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    well palm just blew a good verizon launch. I don't care what you guys say palm/hp won't make a splash on that network even if they announce a <spongebob> app free with phones. Verizon will push the iphone like you won't believe. Palm better focus on a sprint launch now. Even that needs to be asap cause even I am thinking of switching to verizon for the iphone now. Palm just got scooped.
    I'm not sure that Verizon is going to push the iPhone that hard. Before everyone jumps all over me, think about it.

    Verizon wants the iPhone because it is selling left and right, and they are loosing business to another carrier because they don't have it. They want those customers, as many of them as they can get.

    They don't have to push the iPhone to those customers, those customers already want the iPhone. They have to push Verizon to those customers.

    For the customers that have already chosen Verizon, I suspect Verizon would prefer they buy a phone over which they have more control, and more profits.

    In other words, is Verizon really going to "push" a product that pretty much sells itself, or are they going to push Verizon?
    Last edited by hparsons; 01/11/2011 at 12:52 PM.
  2. #2  
    They'll push what sells.
  3. #3  
    They wont have to push it. They wont try to talk anyone out of it but they'll still push the DROID's harder because they have more profit margin with Android phones. I've seen rumors that Verizon will be discouraging employees from activating them on Employee accounts which plays to your point on this.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    They'll push what sells.
    I think it's kinda cool how Verizon's top two products are their own house brand and a phone they have an unprecedented lack of control over. I'd imagine they'd be more inclined to push Droids because of that.
  5. #5  
    My guess is they will push Verizon but will do so by pushing the iPhone.

    I agree with the post that you quoted. All the other platforms on Verizon looks like they will be relegated. To "sure, we carry those as well" status.

    Edit: By other platforms I mean non-iOS and non-Android.
  6. #6  
    Profit per phone doesn't influence this decision. Ss a marketing manager you pour your dollars into what IS selling, not into what you hope will sell, if enough people know about it.

    Make hay while the sun shines. There is a whole lot of hay to had at Verizon right now.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    AT&T hasn't pushed the iPhone for years knowing that this day of reckoning was coming. They pay much lower commissions to their sales people for iPhones. That's why they look so nonchalant when you go to an AT&T store to look at them. They had to be dragged into MMS and they didn't even offer wifi tethering. They also stopped offering unlimited data plans. About the only thing I can think of that AT&T has done for iPhone users is to offer early upgrades for some users to the new models.

    And still the iPhone manages to struggle along in the market. I don't think it matters whether Verizon decides to push it or not.
    huh arent Iphone sales up year over year? Didnt AT&T still with pretty much one device catch Verizon in total consumers? Isnt the reason Verizon picking up the iphone is because Android cannot stop AT&T from catching up to and passing Verizon? Check the numbers for what the iphone sold in Q3 and Q4 year over year from just 09-10 and see if you still want to make that statement.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, it's not like they are going to hold a special media event in NYC to just to announce it or anything. They will probably just announce it at CES along with their other new smartphones with minimal fanfare. People probably won't notice unless they are looking for it.
    Your sarcasm is duely noted, and I suspect you're so anxious to use it, you're ignoring the obvious.

    They did not (in my opinion) hold a special media event to announce it in order to push it.

    They did (in my opinion) hold a special media event to announce it in order to make everyone aware they have it. Maybe the difference is too subtle, but it fits exactly what I described in my opening post.

    They want the customers that are bound and determined to buy an iPhone from someone. That doesn't mean they are going to push the iPhone to the customers that are bound and determined to have some phone from Verizon.
  9. #9  
    They will push it like crazy as a tool to steal as many AT&T subscribers as possible.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    My guess is they will push Verizon but will do so by pushing the iPhone.

    I agree with the post that you quoted. All the other platforms on Verizon looks like they will be relegated. To "sure, we carry those as well" status.

    Edit: By other platforms I mean non-iOS and non-Android.
    Interesting, but I don't necessarily agree with the concept.

    Carriers are not really brand loyal, unless it suits them. Depending on what HP does this year, the game could change. If HP plays things right, and folks want the Palm devices, it will no longer be in a "sure, we carry that as well" category.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    AT&T hasn't pushed the iPhone for years knowing that this day of reckoning was coming. They pay much lower commissions to their sales people for iPhones. That's why they look so nonchalant when you go to an AT&T store to look at them. They had to be dragged into MMS and they didn't even offer wifi tethering. They also stopped offering unlimited data plans. About the only thing I can think of that AT&T has done for iPhone users is to offer early upgrades for some users to the new models.

    And still the iPhone manages to struggle along in the market. I don't think it matters whether Verizon decides to push it or not.
    No doubt that it "doesn't matter", but that wasn't the gist of this thread.

    As a matter of fact, in spite of the earlier sarcasm, you seem to be making my point for me. If iPhones pay lower commissions (which I don't know if they will or not), then Verizon saiespeople won't be "pushing" them. Verizion will push the fact that they have them - so they can capture that market; but you can bet that (assuming the above is the case) they would prefer to sell something else to the customers that will accept something else.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Interesting, but I don't necessarily agree with the concept.

    Carriers are not really brand loyal, unless it suits them. Depending on what HP does this year, the game could change. If HP plays things right, and folks want the Palm devices, it will no longer be in a "sure, we carry that as well" category.
    Agreed. Any brand can pull themselves out of that category with proper execution. My statement was more about the current state of things. At the moment, webOS is not popular so it is in that category but that's not to say it can't be changed.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Profit per phone doesn't influence this decision. Ss a marketing manager you pour your dollars into what IS selling, not into what you hope will sell, if enough people know about it.

    Make hay while the sun shines. There is a whole lot of hay to had at Verizon right now.
    Absolutely there is hay to be made, that's why they want it; there are more than one type of customer that comes into a store:

    • Hey, I hear you have the iPhone, but I've also heard that ATT's service sucks. What are you suscription options.
    • Hey, I've heard you've got the best data options around, tell me what type of phones you have

    I would suspect that the salesman's push is going to be different in those to scenarios.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Thanks for always including a sentence or two about other peoples motivations. It really does get to the heart of the matter when you not only attempt to refute what someone says but also ascribe a particular motivation to that person. It's a particularly endearing quality that your posts usually have. I love having someone tell me what I was thinking.

    AT&T never pushed the iPhone. In fact, I don't think they ever even held any events to in order to "make everyone aware they have it".

    If Verizon isn't going to push the iPhone then AT&T certainly hasn't done anything to push it. Can you name anything that AT&T has done to push the iPhone that Verizon isn't doing? If you're going to cite AT&T iPhone sales as evidence then we will have to see what Verizon iPhone sales are. If it sells a ton then I guess Verizon did push it.
    I don't think I ever refuted what you said about AT&T. Were you, or were you not being sarcastic when you said?

    Well, it's not like they are going to hold a special media event in NYC to just to announce it or anything
    If it wasn't sarcasm, then it's simply factually incorrect.

    I didn't cite AT&T iPhone sales as evidence of anything. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've mentioned AT&T except in the pretend scenario of their service being bad.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Interesting, but I don't necessarily agree with the concept.

    Carriers are not really brand loyal, unless it suits them. Depending on what HP does this year, the game could change. If HP plays things right, and folks want the Palm devices, it will no longer be in a "sure, we carry that as well" category.
    In the past I think carriers were quite "loyal" to the extent that they could use it to create brand differentiation. Verizon clearly became to Android as an alternate to AT&T being synonymous with iPhone. Brilliant strategy and it worked very well.

    But, everyone and their brother now sells the same Android phones with minor changes to the case and a name change. So now Verizon shifts to be "the better network for your iPhone" and go directly after AT&T's most affluent (and unhappy) subscribers.

    As you say, they are loyal when it suits them, and AT&T is going to pay a heavy price for giving VZW so much time to prepare for iPhone and out flank them with Android. IMHO.
  16. #16  
    They dont have to push it. It will push itself.

    Sent From Tapatalk.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  17. #17  
    It's such a non-decision it isn't funny. HP really needs to execute and get new devices out, or it will be perpetually one generation behind.
  18. #18  
    <<thread cleaned>>

    Please stay ON-topic guys. (You should be used to us asking this by now) Any off-topic posts will be deleted and continued off-topic posting can result in an infraction.

    Thanks!
  19. #19  
    LOL go to verizonwireless.com and tell me what you see.
    (the whole front banner is the iphone 4 no droid in sight)

    I just went to the mall and the verizon store already has a sign up when you walk in. I expect a commercial within a few hours.

    Nobody will hear the palm announcement cause they will already be sleeping outside the verizon stores.
    Last edited by bigwood212; 01/11/2011 at 03:54 PM.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, it's not like they are going to hold a special media event in NYC to just to announce it or anything. They will probably just announce it at CES along with their other new smartphones with minimal fanfare. People probably won't notice unless they are looking for it.
    lol great post funny.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    They will push it like crazy as a tool to steal as many AT&T subscribers as possible.
    this guy is right.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions