Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Looks like the answer is yes.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    yea i think they will push hard, even though they wont really need too, the iphone sells itself
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Why wouldn't they push a phone that they know will sell well?

There are also people that don't keep track of tech news and won't know that Verizon has it, if it isn't put out there in front of their face.

Sent from my eVo
    If one phone A makes them $50 profit and is (almost) completely controlled by the mfg, and phone B makes them $100 profit is is almost completely controlled by Verizon, and both sell at the same price, which do you think they will "push".
    If you visit the VZW site, the first thing they hit you with is the iPhone. They are going to grab a HUGE pile of AT&T subs when the iPhone arrives. Probably some from Sprint, too.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

Looks like the answer is yes.
    Actually, that looks like the answer is "no" (if you read the question).

They are telling their current customers who never believed that this day would come that it has. That they now have the phone those customers have been waiting for. In other words, you don't have to go to AT&T, we have it here.

My real question will be answered after the initial rush. Those are the people that know what phone they wanted, and now can get it from Verizon. What I'll be curious to see is 3-4 months down the road, when a guy walks in and says "Tell me which is better, the LatestGreatestDroid v17.5, or the iPhone".
    I still maintain Verizon will push Verizon via the iPhone.
    LOL how can people still be saying its not happening. I went to verizon with my girlfriend today and they told her she could upgrade to the iphone lol. There were signs in the store also. Theres a commercial. The website has it everywhere in your face. They had a public announcement after ces.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, that looks like the answer is "no" (if you read the question).

They are telling their current customers who never believed that this day would come that it has. That they now have the phone those customers have been waiting for. In other words, you don't have to go to AT&T, we have it here.

My real question will be answered after the initial rush. Those are the people that know what phone they wanted, and now can get it from Verizon. What I'll be curious to see is 3-4 months down the road, when a guy walks in and says "Tell me which is better, the LatestGreatestDroid v17.5, or the iPhone".
    Your reading to deep into the commercial. They are telling their millions of customers and (everyone else) to come in and upgrade to our iphone 4. They arent saying hey you guys dont go to at&t we have it also. They are selling iphones man. Give up the fight already.

If they wanted to say "In other words, you don't have to go to AT&T, we have it here." They would have just sent me some notice with my bill or an email. Thats a commercial directed at everyone and its to sell one thing.
    "Is VZW going to push the iPhone?"

"Yuuup, here is a link to their first commercial."

"No, that doesn't count."

lmao. I'm just saying.
    It was a bit of a loaded question from the start and we probably shouldn't have taken the bait.

It just seems like a thinly veiled way of saying "well, I was wrong about Verizon not carrying the iPhone...but I'm sure they don't really want to sell it."
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Nice try. If they wanted to notify their current customers they could have sent them an email, an SMS, or maybe a nice glossy brochure. They wouldn't have to buy TV ads. You don't actually think they are trying to reach their current customers with ad do you? Please.
    The commercial quoted started off addressing their current customers.

I think Verizon wants everyone who is interested in an iPhone to get it at Verizon. I think Verizon wants everyone who is interested in a mobile phone in general to buy a Droid from Verizon.
    Verizon turns on iPhone 4 pre-order countdown, existing customers can order on February 3rd at 3AM -- Engadget

Of course, this doesn't mean that they are really pushing the iPhone. They are really just notifying their customers exactly how long it will be before they can order the iPhone - down to the second. It's really more of a notification service rather than pushing any particular device.
    The fact that the first "push" is to existing customers means they are pushing it. If all they wanted was switchers, they would have made that the first push. They are actively courting their own customers to switch from some other platform to the iPhone.

What's more, the push will be more tasteful and universal than anything they did with Droid. That was pushed to pubescent boys and young men who watch Spike TV, and who get hot and bothered by tech specs. The iPhone is for men, women, kids, business people, grand-parents, and so on. Oh yeah, the push is on.
  13.    #54  
    Verizon turns on iPhone 4 pre-order countdown, existing customers can order on February 3rd at 3AM -- Engadget

Of course, this doesn't mean that they are really pushing the iPhone. They are really just notifying their customers exactly how long it will be before they can order the iPhone - down to the second. It's really more of a notification service rather than pushing any particular device.
    You know, the sarcastic tone is growing old, and with the attitude of "no opposing opinion can be right", I think you're overlooking the possibility that they are using the desire for iPhone, among existing users, to get them to renew their contract.

Of course, if any opinion opposing yours is by definition wrong, that would be silly to look at it that way. I think though, some of you, a lot of you, are overlooking things in your enthusiasm.

So tell me, why would a vendor, any vendor, push a third party product over their own house brand, when their own house brand makes more profit? The only reason I can think of is that they are pushing it to people that want that product.
  14.    #55  
    It sounds more like the topic is totally irrelevant. Does anyone here believe that the success of the Verizon iPhone depends, largely, on whether Verizon is going to push it? The announcement of the Verizon iPhone was featured in every media outlet you can imagine. It wouldn't matter if Verizon put them in white boxes and only stored them in the back with no display models. They would still sell more than Droids.
    Most of the topics on here are "irrelevant", other than for interests sake. Granted, there's a few "how can I do this" type threads, but even those are lately taken over by the Palm detractors.

The topic was posted because I thought there might be interest. For a totally irrelevant topic, you seem to be on here a bunch. Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by hparsons; 01/29/2011 at 12:08 PM.
    with as many commercials and advertising that is going into this, I think that speaks for itself. I can't log onto Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless to pay my bill without having MULTIPLE pop ups stating the iPhone is coming. Its down right irritating.
    LOL! Of course they're pushing it! This is a sort of psychological marketing. "You've been waiting for this" ad. And a countdown page for ordering. Building suspense.

The iPhone will sell itself, but there's still plenty of marketing going on. This is the first CDMA iPhone and Verizon would be dumb not to capitalize on that, not to mention the popularity.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    LOL! Of course they're pushing it! This is a sort of psychological marketing. "You've been waiting for this" ad. And a countdown page for ordering. Building suspense.

The iPhone will sell itself, but there's still plenty of marketing going on. This is the first CDMA iPhone and Verizon would be dumb not to capitalize on that, not to mention the popularity.
    Absolutely they would be dumb not to capitalize on this. I think some of you folks are getting lost in what I meant by "push". Capitalizing on existing demand for a product is far different than pushing a product.

And in spite of the continued sarcasm, I have yet to see one of you folks arguing about this answer this simple question:

Why would a company that sells their own branded phone push another brand on which they make less profit; unless it was because those users they are marketing to already want the other-branded phone, and said company is marketing to let the customers know they have it?

C'mon, any one you. If it's all so simple, the answer should be as well...
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Of course they will be pushing it. This is easy money... There are a bunch of people that were waiting for this, and they might pull some customers from AT&T.

I just got an email asking me to trade in my Pre Plus for an iPhone. I checked and the trade in value for the Pre Plus is $18! How's that for a slap in the face?

Personally, I wouldn't get the iPhone if they paid me $100 after trade. With the AV8B kernel, my Pre has a new lease in life. It runs so much snappier and lasts at least 2x longer on a single battery than the stock kernel. It makes using WebOS that much better. If only Verizon would release WebOS 2.1, I'd be thrilled.

I've even got some cool apps in mind to work on as time permits. I'm jazzed now and hope that HP doesn't blow it on the 7th.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    For Mr. Parsons, actually that was a reply to the other poster replying about constant pop ups.

But concerning the main topic: Mobile hotspot that AT&T never offered? Bringing back unlimited? They are pushing the iPhone on their network for sure. You said I think, they need to push the network, not the phone. I think they're doing both.

You think they'll make less profit on the iPhone??? If anything, they'll make more getting feature phone users happy on Verizon to upgrade their plans, and people who were on the fence over AT&T. The iPhone can only help them. Sure they can't impose their crapware paid apps on people, but I'm betting Verizon Navigator will be in the App Store for people who rely on it, just like AT&T Navigator is.

P.S. Also people on the fence over Android can just go ahead and buy the phone they were likely looking at all along, but didn't want to move to AT&T.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/29/2011 at 10:41 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast