Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 82
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbgsu View Post
    It's such a non-decision it isn't funny. HP really needs to execute and get new devices out, or it will be perpetually one generation behind.
    I agree. Actually, I think the Pre2 would stand up fairly well in a side by side comparison (if anyone is willing to look), but I'm hoping that there's something better than a Pre2 for folks to compare it.

    That would be an interesting scenario. Verizon has a customer looking at the Palm phone (for which I would assume they would have a higher market) and an iPhone. Customer is not interested at all in a droid.

    What does the salesperson do?

    Would be an interesting situation.
    Last edited by hparsons; 01/11/2011 at 04:06 PM.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    LOL go to verizonwireless.com and tell me what you see.
    (the whole front banner is the iphone 4 no droid in sight)

    I just went to the mall and the verizon store already has a sign up when you walk in. I expect a commercial within a few hours.

    Nobody will hear the palm announcement cause they will already be sleeping outside the verizon stores.
    Again, those don't indicate they are pushing the iPhone. They indicate they are pushing the fact that they have the iPhone. I suspect that anyone sleeping at a Verizon store to get an iPhone would not have been interested in a Pre (or a Pre 2) anyway. It's the ones that are sitting back saying "Let's see what happens" that HP will need to target.

    But that does bring up an interesting thought. I'm not so sure we're going to see masses of people spending the night in line to get an iPhone at Verizon. I suspect that the people that are willing to sleep in front of a store to get the phone already did so, it just had a different logo on the front.

    I'm not saying this isn't a great thing for Verizon (and a bad thing for AT&T), both are true; however, I see it more as a marathon than a sprint (no pun intended, lower case "s"). Verizon is going to go after people that are thinking of moving from AT&T to "a better carrier". Many (most??) of those people are currently under contract. Verizon is going to wantt to lure them away.

    I'll be curious to see if they have an ETF "rebate" offer in the near future - you know, something along the lines of

    Swith to Verizon, we'll pay your ETF (up to $xxx). If they made it phone generic, then this would get around Apple's price-fixing. It would encourage defection from AT&T.

    Oh yeah, and it would line up nicely with what I think this will be about. Pushing Verizon.
  3. #23  
    People arent going there to browse phones. No customer will be looking side by side at a pre2 and iphone. They will just be looking at an iphone the pre 2 is not even there and wont be a big splash.

    Something I just noticed. If you go to verizonwireless.com and go to phones and devices. It lists Iphone, smartphones and, feature phones. They even put the iphone in its own category.
  4. #24  
    if verizon is pushing that they have the iphone I think they are pushing the iphone. They dont plan on louring you in to the store and selling you a droid lol. Come on man. They are selling iphones. They will sell more than anything else in the store guaranteed. People on at&t hate the service and will drop it or pay the termination. I know people that have said they are switching for years when the iphone comes to verizon.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, it's not like they are going to hold a special media event in NYC to just to announce it or anything. They will probably just announce it at CES along with their other new smartphones with minimal fanfare. People probably won't notice unless they are looking for it.
    Thats just plain out funny. Simple as that.

    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    huh arent Iphone sales up year over year? Didnt AT&T still with pretty much one device catch Verizon in total consumers? Isnt the reason Verizon picking up the iphone is because Android cannot stop AT&T from catching up to and passing Verizon? Check the numbers for what the iphone sold in Q3 and Q4 year over year from just 09-10 and see if you still want to make that statement.
    And how much has iPhone's market share actually grown? Most of those people who own an iPhone upgrade every year, and if not every year then every two years. So just because sales went up, it didn't nec. mean new subscribers (however, I know SOME new subscribers and new iPhone users -- not saying there wasn't any new ones).

    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    AT&T never pushed the iPhone. In fact, I don't think they ever even held any events to in order to "make everyone aware they have it".
    So, besides Windows Phone 7, what phones have ATT pushed (smartphone wise)? I mean, I didn't see them push their galaxy s phone, or their android phones? I can also name the BB Torch, they pushed that. I think ATT's only real big phone was the iPhone until last year. Correct me if I am wrong.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    if verizon is pushing that they have the iphone I think they are pushing the iphone. They dont plan on louring you in to the store and selling you a droid lol. Come on man. They are selling iphones. They will sell more than anything else in the store guaranteed. People on at&t hate the service and will drop it or pay the termination. I know people that have said they are switching for years when the iphone comes to verizon.
    No doubt about any of that, but you are missing my point.

    No, they are not going to try to lure someone into the store and switch them.

    However, they have had a multitude of customers without the iPhone. Those are all people that may or may not have wanted one, but people who undobtedly do not place "iNeed iPhone" at the top of their list.

    Do you think Verizon is going to push the iPhone on those customers, or do you think they'll encourage them to buy something else. Something like... their own Verizon only phone?
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, it's not like they are going to hold a special media event in NYC to just to announce it or anything. They will probably just announce it at CES along with their other new smartphones with minimal fanfare. People probably won't notice unless they are looking for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    lol great post funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Thats just plain out funny. Simple as that.
    But apparently, he wasn't being sarcastic or funny (he chewed me out for mentioning the sarcasm). So, I think we should assume he just didn't know about the meeting that was held.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    ...
    And how much has iPhone's market share actually grown? Most of those people who own an iPhone upgrade every year, and if not every year then every two years. So just because sales went up, it didn't nec. mean new subscribers (however, I know SOME new subscribers and new iPhone users -- not saying there wasn't any new ones).
    I think Apple's market share shrunk some after the release of Android phones. However, I have no doubt that Verizon's customer base is going to increase, and a lot. I just don't know how quickly it's going to kick in gear (after the initial rush), and I don't know if that's going to dramatically increase Apple's market share.
    As an example. one of my daughter's and her husband both worked at Sprint (he did for 2 years, she did for 3 years after that). They both were long time Sprint customers (both of them had Sprint phones before they left their respective families for college and marriage). Both of them switched to AT&T about 2 years ago so they could get iPhones. She got the iPhone 4 late last year (early Christmas present).

    They both despise AT&T. They don't like the service, they don't like the pricing. They will almost definitely both switch to Verizon.

    In about a year and half, when her contract runs out.

    Most of his family members switched to AT&T. Some so they could get iPhones, some to take advantage of family plans (my daughters family - meaning me and my other daughters and my wife - were more stubborn). Most of his family members will undoubtedly be switching to Verizon.

    I believe those are the people that Verizon will primarily be marketing to. Not to convince them to buy an iPhone, but to convince them to get it from Verizon.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think Apple's market share shrunk some after the release of Android phones. However, I have no doubt that Verizon's customer base is going to increase, and a lot. I just don't know how quickly it's going to kick in gear (after the initial rush), and I don't know if that's going to dramatically increase Apple's market share.
    As an example. one of my daughter's and her husband both worked at Sprint (he did for 2 years, she did for 3 years after that). They both were long time Sprint customers (both of them had Sprint phones before they left their respective families for college and marriage). Both of them switched to AT&T about 2 years ago so they could get iPhones. She got the iPhone 4 late last year (early Christmas present).

    They both despise AT&T. They don't like the service, they don't like the pricing. They will almost definitely both switch to Verizon.

    In about a year and half, when her contract runs out.

    Most of his family members switched to AT&T. Some so they could get iPhones, some to take advantage of family plans (my daughters family - meaning me and my other daughters and my wife - were more stubborn). Most of his family members will undoubtedly be switching to Verizon.

    I believe those are the people that Verizon will primarily be marketing to. Not to convince them to buy an iPhone, but to convince them to get it from Verizon.
    I thought this was about Verizon pushing the iPhone? I only mention market share b/c of what Wellwellwell11 said. I can't remember, but I quoted his post. Ah, i looked. He said that the sells were really good last year, and I replied talking about the market share.

    Anyway, I agree that Verizon is going to increase. All those switchers who liked Verizon will without thought go back once they can. But the main question is are they going to push the iPhone?

    Honestly, I don't think they should PUSH any phone. Like Comcast's philosophy, push the products (and/or phones) that the customer wants. You have to ask what they want, but once you know push that product to them. If they want the iPhone -- they will come and get the iPhone. If they just want a good phone, you still have the Droid, Windows Phone 7 (when it comes), HP (probably) and the iPhone to give them. But -- again, just like Comcast employees -- if they make more money with a Droid then they will sell the Droid more. And knowing Apple, they probably will not make much money with each iPhone sold.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I thought this was about Verizon pushing the iPhone? ...
    My response was about Verizon pusing the iPhone (or, more accurately, about them not pushing it), unfortunately, like most of my posts, you had to read the entire post to see the connection.

    The example I gave was what (I think) Verizon will be pushing - Verizon. Only now they offer the phone that you sacrificed service to get.
  11. #31  
    How do the costs of the plans compare between Verizon and AT&T? Or the data speeds?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    PS - Verizon had to give up their usual pre-installed crapware for the iPhone. I'm sure it rubs them the wrong way. Apple wants all of the iPhone user experiences to be the same - effectively turning carriers into dumb pipes.
    To some degree, for the consumer, I think that's a good thing. It'll be interesting to see how well that "revolution" expands to other brands within Verizon.

    So, from the rest of your post, it sounds like you essentially agree with me. Hard to believe that even Apple can get that to happen...

  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    PS - Verizon had to give up their usual pre-installed crapware for the iPhone. I'm sure it rubs them the wrong way. Apple wants all of the iPhone user experiences to be the same - effectively turning carriers into dumb pipes.
    Good! That's the way it should be.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    PS - Verizon had to give up their usual pre-installed crapware for the iPhone. I'm sure it rubs them the wrong way. Apple wants all of the iPhone user experiences to be the same - effectively turning carriers into dumb pipes.

    AppleInsider | Apple will not allow Verizon to preload software on iPhone
    I'm sure they didn't care in the least. According to the article you posted they still got VZ Navigator and V CAST Media Manager on there. Palm didn't have anymore than that, actually a little less, forced on to their devices. And the Pre Plus went through without a Verizon brand stamp as well. Also on the Blackberries that I've interacted with from Verizon, the "crapware" isn't pre-installed. They throw an icon link down to download it whenever something new is available but that can be hidden and never seen nor heard from again unless you actively unhide it.

    So really, there is PLENTY of precedent in Verizon's past to easily believe that the "crapware" and branding were things they agreed to drop right away. What I'd be interested to see is how their aGPS performance is with those app store GPS programs and if having to open up their aGPS servers for the iPhone will cause an improvement on our Pres.


    A Verizon sale's person isn't going to push for iPhone sales unless he thinks that person might be considering going to AT&T specifically for the iPhone. Verizon is still going to push Droids because that is THEIR line and the one phone line they offer that no one else has since they have license to use the name from Lucasfilms plus they get a large amount of control over the line and probably offer the largest commission for those sales to the regional stores.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I saw this post in another thread. It doesn't really go there, but it got me thinking. Mods, feel free to merge/move this whereever you see fit:


    I'm not sure that Verizon is going to push the iPhone that hard. Before everyone jumps all over me, think about it.

    Verizon wants the iPhone because it is selling left and right, and they are loosing business to another carrier because they don't have it. They want those customers, as many of them as they can get.

    They don't have to push the iPhone to those customers, those customers already want the iPhone. They have to push Verizon to those customers.

    For the customers that have already chosen Verizon, I suspect Verizon would prefer they buy a phone over which they have more control, and more profits.

    In other words, is Verizon really going to "push" a product that pretty much sells itself, or are they going to push Verizon?

    No need to push the iPhone. Everyone knows what it is. Verizon will stay on their Droid branded Android devices. I believe the only way Verizon starts to push ANY device over another is when they become 4G LTE capable. This locks you into a more expensive contract with no upgrades for at least 20 months. Make sense for Verizon and their profit margin.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    They wont have to push it. They wont try to talk anyone out of it but they'll still push the DROID's harder because they have more profit margin with Android phones. I've seen rumors that Verizon will be discouraging employees from activating them on Employee accounts which plays to your point on this.
    Verizon will push iPhone over Droids.

    AppleInsider | Verizon to push Apple's iPhone with major 'marketing muscle' - report
  17. rkguy's Avatar
    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    #37  
    I've read numerous articles stating that VZ will have a strong campaign for the iphone
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  18. romls's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #38  
    They are pushing it. When I logged on to my Verizon Wireless account today, instead of taking me to the main account page, it took me to a splash screen announcing they would be carrying the iPhone 4 with links to check my upgrade status. I've never seen that for any other phone they've announced.

    I found it a bit annoying to tell you the truth.
  19. romls's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #39  
    If I had seen the this thread earlier, I would have posted a screen shot. I can't get back to it now because I selected the option to not show the message again. While I can't remember the exact wording, it was clear to me that they wanted me to buy an iPhone.

    My father-in-law would actually like one, but we just upgraded him to the Droid Incredible.
  20. #40  
    Why wouldn't they push a phone that they know will sell well?

    There are also people that don't keep track of tech news and won't know that Verizon has it, if it isn't put out there in front of their face.

    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions