Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Its obviously the unevialing of the iphone on there network the WSJ has already confirmed this and rumors line up.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Oh I hope you are right. I know the Web OS platform is going to be around a long time.
    I realize that it's probably not good that the iPhone will be on sale a week before HP's announcement, but it could definitely be worse, right? Apple could have held it Tuesday the 8th, which i'm surprised they didn't. Maybe if HP really advertises its future phones (kind of like HTC's advertising of unannounced phones preceding CES) it could grab some attention before its event. That, coupled with some amazing products on the 9th, could potentially keep them in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanshor View Post
    I realize that it's probably not good that the iPhone will be on sale a week before HP's announcement, but it could definitely be worse, right? Apple could have held it Tuesday the 8th, which i'm surprised they didn't.
    I think it is worse now than it would have been if Apple waited. Apple has already overshadowed CES with the Mac App Store and the Verizon announcement. Next will be the preorder frenzy. We will be getting reports every few days on how many have placed an order.

Around the beginning of next month, the first shipments will go out, and the story will be about the first reviews and initial impressions. Then, the lines around Verizon and Apple Stores start to form; another story. That is when Palm makes their announcement.

We are assuming that the iPhone will be unchanged with no news about features. How quickly we forget about FaceTime. I predict it will be operational over 3G. BOOM! goes the dynamite! Verizon announces BOGOF to get the stampede really going. At the event, there might be a preview of iOS V. Devs will be stoked.

Speaking of iOS V, Apple waits a week after the HP event to announce iOS V, and reveal the next generation iPhone. A week later, they reveal the next iPad running iOS V. Cue the preorders, prerelease hype, and the cycle continues.

Of course I am just guessing at the details, but you get the idea. Apple has owned this time of the year for a while, even more so since the iPad launch. HP placed themselves directly in the jaws of the lion.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I think it is worse now than it would have been if Apple waited. Apple has already overshadowed CES with the Mac App Store and the Verizon announcement. Next will be the preorder frenzy. We will be getting reports every few days on how many have placed an order.

Around the beginning of next month, the first shipments will go out, and the story will be about the first reviews and initial impressions. Then, the lines around Verizon and Apple Stores start to form; another story. That is when Palm makes their announcement.

We are assuming that the iPhone will be unchanged with no news about features. How quickly we forget about FaceTime. I predict it will be operational over 3G. BOOM! goes the dynamite! Verizon announces BOGOF to get the stampede really going. At the event, there might be a preview of iOS V. Devs will be stoked.

Speaking of iOS V, Apple waits a week after the HP event to announce iOS V, and reveal the next generation iPhone. A week later, they reveal the next iPad running iOS V. Cue the preorders, prerelease hype, and the cycle continues.

Of course I am just guessing at the details, but you get the idea. Apple has owned this time of the year for a while, even more so since the iPad launch. HP placed themselves directly in the jaws of the lion.
    Heh. Good theory. If rumors are true and the VZW iPhone does ship/release on Feb 3, that's literally a week before HP's big webOS announcement.

May be they are extreme optimists and are hoping to outshine Apple.

Not that this would ever happen, but they can hope!

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I predict this unlimited data will be synergistically aligned with cloud based solutions along multiple vectors of interoperability. With the unparalleled scale and reach of Verizon Wireless, these plans will be a competitive force in the consumer and enterprise marketplace, and will maximize network potential across a variety of platforms.

Finally. It will unify the disparate platforms of mobile, tablet, laptop, and desktop communications via linked protocols, enabling a seamless application architecture for the upwardly mobile, connected lifestyle of the end user.
    you forgot "dynamic"
    You can have apple on big red, but with Matise going to android, car manufactures starting to feature android, and the fact that android is free to manufacturers....Apple and webOS are in for an uphill battle. I do not like Android 2.2, but i reserve my judgement on anything 3.0 and beyond.
    ...Time travel back a couple of years to the announcement of the Pre. Palm made a lot of enemies of people who once liked them, like me. When they thought they were on top, they were more obnoxious than the Apple community on our worst day. Palm was literally trying to steal iTunes out from under Apple, and daring them to do something about it. That ticked a lot of people off, and changed the way people saw Palm.
    What a bunch of nonsense. Palm was trying to steal nothing. For someone to use a Pre with iTunes they had to have iTunes, and from Apple. What was Palm "stealing"?

They were trying to allow their customers to use their phone with existing technology.

And the PreBashing by you folks had nothing to do with any of that. You just didn't like someone prancing around in your "staked out territory".
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What a bunch of nonsense. Palm was trying to steal nothing. For someone to use a Pre with iTunes they had to have iTunes, and from Apple. What was Palm "stealing"?

They were trying to allow their customers to use their phone with existing technology.

<last part removed because it's unnecessary >
    You're right Palm didn't try to steal anything.

On the other hand they did try to give access to something that the developer didn't approve.
    While I don't like Apple... still can't do that...
    On my way home from a trip, I saw a billboard on the highway that had 1 - 11 - 11 in front of some curtains. No Verizon logo or anything like that. But I couldn't find anything about it on google. It was all white, with black lettering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    You can have apple on big red, but with Matise going to android, car manufactures starting to feature android, and the fact that android is free to manufacturers....Apple and webOS are in for an uphill battle. I do not like Android 2.2, but i reserve my judgement on anything 3.0 and beyond.
    Agreed! Android is big, and moving fast with the wind in it's sails. If Apple could have inked the deal before there was a Droid, Android would probably be dead by now. The fact that it has such a strong foothold, and that it is free, makes it very compelling to manufactures. It doesn't even have to be good at this point. It just has to be the driver of cheap and free products. It has reached the status of "good enough". 3.0 looks to be much better than good enough.

Finding a place to market your platform between Android and iOS on AT&T and Verizon gets a lot harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    May be they are extreme optimists and are hoping to outshine Apple.

Not that this would ever happen, but they can hope!

Posted from my eVo!
    And who told you they want to outshine Apple? Maybe they just selected that date to be the product to compare against. And that's almost the same as being Apple...
    Newness Developments apps:

Wait for a Rick Roll........ and then an announcement about Verizon buying Sprint....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

That would make my year.... Verizon tries to invite Jobs, but he can only be there via satellite....

"And now, the man of the hour..... STEVE JOBS!!!!!"

Music playing in the background....

"Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna run around and desert you
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye
    Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you"

You have to put candy in the dummy phones or you will just **** people off....

17.    #97  
    Meanwhile, Apple stock hits $340 on the back of the rumor of Steve Jobs rickrolling everyone. Crazy stuff.

Even better, TechCrunch has an image that summarizes the effect the Verizon iPhone has had on Apple's stock value.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/10/verizon-iphone-hype/
    Last edited by nappy; 01/10/2011 at 02:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Meanwhile, Apple stock hits $340 on the back of the rumor of Steve Jobs rickrolling everyone. Crazy stuff.

Even better, TechCrunch has an image that summarizes the effect the Verizon iPhone has had on Apple's stock value.

The Verizon iPhone Hype Shown In One Image
    Two companies announce that they will be making an announcement. One company's stock blasts through the roof. Any news about the other? You can almost fool yourself into believing that the Verizon iPhone is no big deal until you see how much it means to investors. It also gives a clear indication of how investors view iPhone competitors. The graphs say it all.
  19.    #99  
    Two companies announce that they will be making an announcement. One company's stock blasts through the roof. Any news about the other? You can almost fool yourself into believing that the Verizon iPhone is no big deal until you see how much it means to investors. It also gives a clear indication of how investors view iPhone competitors. The graphs say it all.
    It's an interesting tale of two products. The Verizon iPhone is basically a CDMA version of a 7 month old phone while HP undoubtedly has genuinely new products on their slate for the February 9 showcase. Yet investors and media have turned one of them into a bonafide event while the other probably won't have even a fraction of the same impact.
    Might shock the hell out of everyone and announce the iPhone LTE....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast