Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    30 days maximum.

Apple doesn't do the "in the coming months" routine.
    Although I don't like Apple, I'm not going to deny the fact that when they decide to do something it gets done.
    thats what I was thinking too, just because if this VZ iphone does come to past they wouldnt wait months to release it. I wounder if anything will be changed design wise with it, and if they will be releasing a LTE version of the iphone this summer too?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    thats what I was thinking too, just because if this VZ iphone does come to past they wouldnt wait months to release it. I wounder if anything will be changed design wise with it, and if they will be releasing a LTE version of the iphone this summer too?

It's hard to say.

Knowing Apple they would knowingly and willingly release the iPhone 4 with 3g and then release the iPhone 5 [whenever it's planned] with "4g" simply because that's the way they want to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ... when does anyone think they will launch it?
    According to this, and many other stories, about a week before the HP event. Palm should have announced at CES. If they had something to say, they should have said it when people would have been listening. As it stands, Apple is going to own the next several weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    According to this, and many other stories, about a week before the HP event. Palm should have announced at CES. If they had something to say, they should have said it when people would have been listening. As it stands, Apple is going to own the next several weeks.
    That's hard to argue.

Then you have Apple-con coming up too.
    well listening to the HP exec talk about not saying anything at CES made sense, since it would have been overshadow at the even, and if nothing would have been ready to be released like in a month why say anything? So it made sense to hold you own event, and to me more focus will be on you and your company as opposed to everyone. Hence Apples individual events every year.
    The real problem with this timing is not just consumer awareness, but developer interest. After what was shown at CES, there will be a whole new level of developer interest in Android. Everyone will want to start assembling teams for Honeycomb app development. A smaller set will be setting up for the Playbook. Atrix will no doubt catch a few enterprising developers who are looking to get in early on something new and big.

HP could have grabbed a lot of that developer mindshare by demoing, and building excitement for their new platform. As it stands, the iPhone V and iPad 2 development community will likely grow, as will Android, RIM, and possibly, WP7. A month later, HP will try to get developers to write for yet another platform that has had very little traction in the market. Launching a new platform so late after developer alliances have already been made, and projects started, is a really tough sell, even for what will no doubt be an interesting platform.
    The real problem with this timing is not just consumer awareness, but developer interest. After what was shown at CES, there will be a whole new level of developer interest in Android. Everyone will want to start assembling teams for Honeycomb app development. A smaller set will be setting up for the Playbook. Atrix will no doubt catch a few enterprising developers who are looking to get in early on something new and big.

HP could have grabbed a lot of that developer mindshare by demoing, and building excitement for their new platform. As it stands, the iPhone V and iPad 2 development community will likely grow, as will Android, RIM, and possibly, WP7. A month later, HP will try to get developers to write for yet another platform that has had very little traction in the market. Launching a new platform so late after developer alliances have already been made, and projects started, is a really tough sell, even for what will no doubt be an interesting platform.

Yeah to me that will be the hardship HP will have to overcome, though difference with Palm with no money, HP has and can fund intial developers to make applications. They can hold developer conferences after new products are announced. I really dont think HP showcasing, and luring in developers will be that difficult at all with the captial, and strong brand name HP has world wide. It all comes down to if their products they announce 02/09 are appealing to the massess or not, that will be the first hill they have to overcome. Palm is no more, so going forward people know they are dealing with a multi billion dollar company, so that of course alone is reasurring that the platform will continue to be funding, and supported.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    apple has a good product. even whith an lte verizon iphone 5 coming in summer, hp will bring something else.something that apple does not have. the way a desktop,laptop,phone tablet ,printer,etc become all one . thats where the words "think beyond " fits. to do that with the best os ...well ,thats something to really dream about. just focus your thoughts for a moment about all the tremendous possibilities that that can bring in your daily life
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    apple has a good product. even whith an lte verizon iphone 5 coming in summer, hp will bring something else.something that apple does not have. the way a desktop,laptop,phone tablet ,printer,etc become all one .
    What does that even mean? Please describe in something that does not sound like corporate marketing speak, what that looks like in the real world for end users.

thats where the words "think beyond " fits. to do that with the best os ...well ,thats something to really dream about. just focus your thoughts for a moment about all the tremendous possibilities that that can bring in your daily life
    That is a lot of unicorns for one post.
    Exactly! HP made lemonade, which is another way of saying their plans were blown to pieces, and they did the best they could with the remaining fragments.
    I agree with you on this point. I believe they hoped to get the Pre2 on a major carrier but that the carriers saw two things:
    1. a phone that was not "advanced enough" to lure people back to Palm
    2. the carriers' own bad memories about their first (treo's) and second (Pre's) experiences with supporting smartphones.

Clearly the treo was a great phone but customers and customer service had to adapt to the more complex technology. (The carriers learned from those mistakes by instituting programs like Sprint's "Ready Now". I'm even "advocacy/training" emails from Sprint for the EVO that I bought him.

I think the problem with the Pre 1 was one of inconsistent build quality - but that was amplified by people returning phones that were not really defective just because customers were frustrated. I have another experience to support this: After 9 months of use, my launch-day Sprint Pre finally died due to the USB crack growing large enough to affect the digitizer. I know of several people who (inconsistently) had these replaced by Sprint (sometimes having to visit 2 or 3 stores before they became successful). By the time I brought my phone in for the problem, Sprint told me Palm was telling them that such phones were due to "abuse" rather than due to a design problem. I was able to get Palm to replace the phone, but Palm shouldn't have put Sprint in the position of having to say "no" to customers like me for an obvious design flaw.

So yeah, I believe Palm finally lost credibility with carriers and this (combined with reason 1) explains why the unlocked Pre 2 became a reality.

Beyond this one point (that for some reason I was willing to back you on), the rest of what you say feels a bit like you are arguing just for the sense of arguing. (That makes my reading here on P|C less enjoyable.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I agree with you on this point. I believe they hoped to get the Pre2 on a major carrier but that the carriers saw two things:
    1. a phone that was not "advanced enough" to lure people back to Palm
    2. the carriers' own bad memories about their first (treo's) and second (Pre's) experiences with supporting smartphones.

Clearly the treo was a great phone but customers and customer service had to adapt to the more complex technology. (The carriers learned from those mistakes by instituting programs like Sprint's "Ready Now". I'm even "advocacy/training" emails from Sprint for the EVO that I bought him.

I think the problem with the Pre 1 was one of inconsistent build quality - but that was amplified by people returning phones that were not really defective just because customers were frustrated. I have another experience to support this: After 9 months of use, my launch-day Sprint Pre finally died due to the USB crack growing large enough to affect the digitizer. I know of several people who (inconsistently) had these replaced by Sprint (sometimes having to visit 2 or 3 stores before they became successful). By the time I brought my phone in for the problem, Sprint told me Palm was telling them that such phones were due to "abuse" rather than due to a design problem. I was able to get Palm to replace the phone, but Palm shouldn't have put Sprint in the position of having to say "no" to customers like me for an obvious design flaw.

So yeah, I believe Palm finally lost credibility with carriers and this (combined with reason 1) explains why the unlocked Pre 2 became a reality.

Beyond this one point (that for some reason I was willing to back you on), the rest of what you say feels a bit like you are arguing just for the sense of arguing. (That makes my reading here on P|C less enjoyable.)
    Well written post. As for the last paragraph, you might be right. Arguing is what happens on these boards, and I get just as caught up as the next person. It seems like there is a lot of Palm bashing, in part, because some of Palms chickens are coming home to roost, as the old ones say.

Time travel back a couple of years to the announcement of the Pre. Palm made a lot of enemies of people who once liked them, like me. When they thought they were on top, they were more obnoxious than the Apple community on our worst day. Palm was literally trying to steal iTunes out from under Apple, and daring them to do something about it. That ticked a lot of people off, and changed the way people saw Palm.

When it became clear that things were not going Palm's way... Well... They sowed the wind, and reaped the whirlwind. Is the new Palm, and the community of supporters any different, now? Apparently not. Do I hate Palm as a company? You bet I do. Then again, I hate Google even more. Yet, I am willing to admit that they are doing some really great things in the space.

I love where consumer tech is heading. I would love to see HP come up with an original idea and add something meaningful to the conversation. So far, I have seen little more than "me too" efforts from Palm and HP. I an naturally skeptical about either company's ability to execute. I am perfectly willing to be proven wrong. I love good tech wherever it comes from. But don't expect people like me to suddenly start treating Palm with any semblance of respect. I stand ready to eat my words if that is what the circumstances dictate.
    I had forgotten about the iTunes hajacking that Ruby and company did. It made me feel a bot good (for the underdog) at the time, but I can see how others might have seen that behavior differently. I'm expecting HP to me more calculated and less renegade than Palm. It's funny that what *might* further attract you to Palm might drive others like me further away.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Lol, what if 1/11 @ 11 is the release of Pre2 and 2.x on older devices? Palm/HP could be behind making the big V do an event out of it. After all $$ talks... BTW, I don't feel this is what is going to happen, was just a brain fart I had.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Lol, what if 1/11 @ 11 is the release of Pre2 and 2.x on older devices? Palm/HP could be behind making the big V do an event out of it. After all $$ talks... BTW, I don't feel this is what is going to happen, was just a brain fart I had.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If that is what happens, I will eat my iPad.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    What does that even mean? Please describe in something that does not sound like corporate marketing speak, what that looks like in the real world for end users.
    thanks for the complements. corp. marketing words are exactly what people understand the best. thats one of the reasons how apple ,motorola,etc are selling a lot of stuff

That is a lot of unicorns for one post.
    with unicorns ,some people might not understand what you are trying to say
    maybe try the word utopia
    you (and everyone else) gets a clear picture what the cloud, all devices as one, full integration ,etc, etc,etc, is.
    We just had a small example with the atrix at ces. of course ,that requires an extra dock for the laptop and one for the tv.
    again , you try to post some ideas of your own how your laptop, phone,tablet,printer become all one. without the need of transfering any files, videos, songs from one to the other. please, examples on your practical daily life.
  16.    #76  
    Sorry to interrupt your talk of unicorns and synergy but I just saw this on WSJ and thought it was interesting:

Verizon Wireless will offer unlimited data plans when it starts selling the iPhone, a person familiar with the matter said, providing a key means of distinguishing its service from rival AT&T Inc.
    I wonder if the return of the unlimited data plan is only for iPhone activations or if it's an across the board type of promotion.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Sorry to interrupt your talk of unicorns and synergy but I just saw this on WSJ and thought it was interesting:

I wonder if the return of the unlimited data plan is only for iPhone activations or if it's an across the board type of promotion.
    I predict this unlimited data will be synergistically aligned with cloud based solutions along multiple vectors of interoperability. With the unparalleled scale and reach of Verizon Wireless, these plans will be a competitive force in the consumer and enterprise marketplace, and will maximize network potential across a variety of platforms.

Finally. It will unify the disparate platforms of mobile, tablet, laptop, and desktop communications via linked protocols, enabling a seamless application architecture for the upwardly mobile, connected lifestyle of the end user.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 01/09/2011 at 08:31 PM.
    It needs to be across the board because all their new phones look data hungry.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19.    #79  
    I predict this unlimited data will be synergistically aligned with cloud based solutions along multiple vectors of interoperability. With the unparalleled scale and reach of Verizon Wireless, these plans will be a competitive force in the consumer and enterprise marketplace, and will maximize network potential across a variety of platforms.

Finally. It will unify the disparate platforms of mobil, tablet, laptop, and desktop communications via linked protocols, enabling a seamless application architecture for the upwardly mobile, connected lifestyle of the end user.
    Wow.

Finally. It will unify the disparate platforms of mobil, tablet, laptop, and desktop communications via linked protocols, enabling a seamless application architecture for the upwardly mobile, connected lifestyle of the end user.
    ^^^ I want to make this my new signature...^^^

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast