Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I seriously doubt the Pre 2 is ever going to be released in the U.S....VZW, Sprint, AT&T, T Mobile, Cricket...you name it, the Pre 2 simply ain't happening. ........ Why would you launch a phone basically in January when it will be rendered obsolete w/in 6 months by other phones from the same company?
    Because Sprint has scads of Pre customers who would pick it up and never bat an eye and still pick up the next WebOS phone/device that could potentially launch in Spring or Summer 2011.

And I don't think obsolete is a fair term to use. The Nexus S has nearly identical specs to the Pre 2 (except a bigger screen) and it is coming out soon with much fanfare.

The Pre 2 I have is very fast and really looks nice. You won't realize the difference in appearance and feel the glass screen makes until you have it in your hand. And eventhough the screen is the same size, it has the look/feel of a larger screen because the glass is flat. And of course WebOS 2.0 is awesome. I can't wait to see some apps that really take advantage of this OS. I would give my..... well let's just say I would make some sacrifices to be able to use my Pre 2 on my Sprint account with my regular profile.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Sprint is going Android. Like it or not palm has no clout and is irrelevant right now. Maybe things will change , but I can't see sprint or its consumers purchasing the pre 2.
    May just be wishful thinking, but I don't see this as impossible. It could very likely be true. HP might be planning a full assault on most major US networks right before the end of the year (or maybe just in time for the CES announcement).

Maybe January would go something like "here's our 4 brand new phones which will be released in the first half of this year, however, while you wait for these phones, here's the Pre 2 on ATT, Verizon, and Sprint!.... also... here's webOS 2.0 for all current webOS phones as well".

That seems kinda likely...
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    of which only 1 person in or. Wa. I'd. And hi. Qualified...very sad for palm.
    "...of which only 1 person in Oregon,Washington, Idaho, and Hawaii qualified..."? Is that what this says?
  5.    #25  
    I do realize people are skeptics, I would be to if i didn't see it for my self. It took up half a page and had 3 columns of description. Under each column was the 3 main upgrades. Glass front, 1ghz processor, and 5mp camera. Also talked about webs 2.0 and on the screen of the phone in the pic it was the new app catalog design which they also talked about in the description. I actually had my hand on my phone in my pocket and so badly wanted to pull it out for a pic but I just couldn't do it. This is the same manager that let me see the Pre before it was available and I got to play with it in the office for awhile. I wouldn't want to get them in trouble at all or break there trust and I felt like asking if I could take a pic of this doc would be wrong, but it's true guys . It didn't have any markings on the phone in the pic saying sprint or and release date. The manager was as shocked to see this document as I was because before this came out there was nothing about it. So, that's a little more detail.

Ken
    Why would you launch a phone basically in January when it will be rendered obsolete w/in 6 months by other phones from the same company?
    Why would the Pre 2 be rendered obsolete? There are different Andoid devices on the same carrier with different features and price points, as it will be for HPalm devices.
  7.    #27  
    "stung"

There were two different things the manager showed me, the document and this contest. Basically the contest is to get sprint employees to sell palm phones. If you sold 2 palm phones in a week you would get a ticket in this drawing for a trip to Hawaii. Apparently only one person sold at least 2 palm phones in a week and got a ticket to be in the drawing. Employees don't like selling palm phones because of the build quality. I'm on my 7 th Pre and my wife is on her 5th. That's the scoop.

Ken
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I too was told Pre 2 is coming to Sprint next year. But, did someone mention the iPhone going to Sprint too?

THAT would be interesting... ;-)
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Why would the Pre 2 be rendered obsolete? There are different Andoid devices on the same carrier with different features and price points, as it will be for HPalm devices.
    Many people seem to have a mindset that the only way for Palm to be successful is to have a $199 "flagship" phone for one of the carriers. You can look at WP7 or even a specific subset of Android phones such as the Samsung Galaxy series and see that you can release a series of phones with a wide range of features, horsepower, and pricing, and they can do well.
    I seriously doubt the Pre 2 is ever going to be released in the U.S....VZW, Sprint, AT&T, T Mobile, Cricket...you name it, the Pre 2 simply ain't happening. We're almost a full month after the first rumored launch date. Every other reasonable date has come and gone and the release ain't close b/c there's simply no information out there. HP/Palm can't be this good at keeping a secret. It's assumed that HP/Palm will bring something to the table at CES for a mid-2011 release, so I simply can't see any carriers wasting their time picking up this incremental upgrade when far superior phones are in the pipeline and presumable just around the corner. Why would you launch a phone basically in January when it will be rendered obsolete w/in 6 months by other phones from the same company?
    While your theory appears to be sound, all you have to do is read the responses from folks on here that say they'd jump on it to see the fault in the theory.

The truth is that the phone would sell. Especially in light of the fact that the customers on Sprint who would buy the Pre2 would be eligible for another phone a year later. As a matter of fact, that type of cycle might be just perfect for Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    I do realize people are skeptics, I would be to if i didn't see it for my self. It took up half a page and had 3 columns of description. Under each column was the 3 main upgrades. ...
    You know, I'm frankly getting tired of the skepticism and derision on see on this board about rumors such as this.

Folks whine and moan because there's "no word" from anyone, then when they get something like this, they deride the person posting the information.

Sure, take it with a grain of salt, no problem there, but I personally am grateful for you posting the information. It sound credible to me.
    I think the Pre 2 seems to be a fine phone...although it's based purely on speculation at this point.

However, we are all assuming/hoping that HP/Palm has something bigger up their sleeves than the Pre 2 and that they will announce these devices at or around CES. We also assume/hope that these devices have specs far exceeding the Pre 2. Given those assumptions, why would any carrier pick up an the Pre 2, when HP/Palm will be releasing better devices within about 6 months?
    We also assume/hope that these devices have specs far exceeding the Pre 2.
    Please define far, and which specs need to be bumped to make it attractive to carriers/consumers in your opinion.

I could see (in order of priority for me):

Bigger/Higher resolution screen (but not EVO big)

Slightly larger keyboard (but not Epic, Droid etc. big)

Expandable micro SD memory (not necessary but potentially convenient)

A higher resolution camera and perhaps a forward facing camera (although I have no use for that)

HDMI out (usable for presentations?)

All of those are hardware, but I would be thrilled to get some things like Voice command and some increased bluetooth connectivity features.

In the end though, none of those are deal breakers that keep me from really enjoying what the Pre2 currently offers. I suspect most Sprint Pre/Pixi users would be thrilled to have/purchase the Pre2.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Given those assumptions, why would any carrier pick up an the Pre 2, when HP/Palm will be releasing better devices within about 6 months?
    Because companies are ALWAYS releasing better devices within about 6 months. Sprint, et al. carry dozens of phones, not just brand new top of the line ones. There will be room at Sprint in 2011 for a $49 Pre 2, a $99 mid-range phone, and a $199 super phone. While that's probably not what will actually happen, the point remains.
    At this point in the game, I just can't see many people spending their upgrade on the Pre 2 when HP/Palm will release devices with better specs in mid-2011. Yes, I know a handful of people on this forum would, but that's not representative of the cell phone community at large. I think HP/Palm missed their opportunity with a mid-Nov launch. Lots of people don't have cell phones and the Pre 2 would have been a good phone to get those people onto. Even if the Pre 2 came out today, with the looming iPhone VZW release in Jan and the onslaught of Windows Mobile devices and Android Devices, I don't see many sales reps pushing the Pre 2. They try to sell whatever's popular...we all know that. That said, it's highly unlikely a Pre 2 will be sold on VZW (or any other carrier) by the end of this year. What salesman in his right mind would push a Pre 2 over an iPhone in January?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    At this point in the game, I just can't see many people spending their upgrade on the Pre 2 when HP/Palm will release devices with better specs in mid-2011. Yes, I know a handful of people on this forum would, but that's not representative of the cell phone community at large. I think HP/Palm missed their opportunity with a mid-Nov launch. Lots of people don't have cell phones and the Pre 2 would have been a good phone to get those people onto. Even if the Pre 2 came out today, with the looming iPhone VZW release in Jan and the onslaught of Windows Mobile devices and Android Devices, I don't see many sales reps pushing the Pre 2. They try to sell whatever's popular...we all know that. That said, it's highly unlikely a Pre 2 will be sold on VZW (or any other carrier) by the end of this year. What salesman in his right mind would push a Pre 2 over an iPhone in January?
    I would not count on the iPhone showing up on Verizon in January just as much as I would not count on the Pre 2 showing up on Sprint by the end of the year. I still do not see the iPhone going to Verizon at all, but that is a different topic.

I really hope the OP is giving some good information as I would love to see a Pre 2 on Sprint. I can't seem to find anything to support the OPs post, but we can hope!
    At this point in the game, I just can't see many people spending their upgrade on the Pre 2 when HP/Palm will release devices with better specs in mid-2011...
    It's all speculation, of course, but have you considered this:

The Pre 2 was announced in October of last year. It appeared in Europe in November (I think it was early November).

If it's available on Sprint in January, those owners would be eligible for any new devices by January '12. If the pattern followed current trends, those new phones might not be available on Sprint until August or September, maybe even later. That's not a long time for those Pre 2 owners to have to wait.

Then, there are lots folks like me. In the past, one of my children or my wife got my "old" Palm phone, and I got the new one. Sometimes it was "my" upgrade I used, sometimes it was one of the other numbers, but one line or another was always eligible for an upgrade when a new phone came out. The Centro and Pixi were the two exceptions in our family (I didn't want a Centro, so my wife got it. When she was eligible for an upgrade she went with a Pixi, which she now says she regrets).

So, If the Pre 2 would become available in January, We'd buy it. She'd get my Pre, I'd get the Pre 2, both of us would be "upgrading". The other line would still be available for whatever else comes out later. There are lots of folks that do this.

Another thing to consider that affects a lot of Sprint Pre owners - not only are most of us eligible for an upgrade - the early adopters who haven't upgraded since and who haven't taken advantage of other "sign a new contract" offers will soon be out of contract. That's a much bigger concern to Sprint than whether or not we're eligible for an upgrade. Sprint does not want us eyeing Verizon because they offer phones Sprint doesn't.
    I'd rather they wait 2 months and release a 4" screen, thin 4G Palm device.
    I also don't need a pic, Pre 2 or not, Sprint has something. This seems to jive with the direct interaction my wife had with our local Sprint store:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...pc-screen.html

or, quick reference to my quote:
    "For what it's worth, and I'm not here to float rumors, just to repeat what my wife was being told. Keep in mind this is second hand from my wife (I was not there). Our store (which I won't name) has some very pro-webOS employees. The gentleman that was helping out last night said not to worry at all about upgrading to another webOS device on Sprint, but to be patient for the beginning of 2011.

Speculation on the specifics of his remarks had my wife believing they were actively training on pushing webOS 2.0/next gen. Here is where I have no idea what to believe, I really have no idea what kind of advance knowledge Sprint employees get, I only know what my wife was told. She was told there was an EVO like device coming & to be patient.

My wife left believing him, so hopefully it's not just speculation on his part. He could have very easily pushed her to upgrade to another non-webOS device (she was eligible). She said that never came up once, despite her inquiring about her upgrade status. So, for what it's worth, I'm passing this on. "
    Oh stop playing with my emotions with this Sprint Pre 2. Because it was found in their computer doesn't mean it will be out for public release
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast