Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    That statement was made by Myriam Joire on the most recent Engadget Mobile podcast. Anyone else hear that?

Curious on peoples' thoughts... Myriam and Chris both seem to think that GSM and LTE will be what everything ends up going to eventually.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Do a search cdma vs gsm and you'll be able to see the difference between the two. As far infrastructure, GSM by far, outnumbers CDMA. I would imagine, eventually CDMA will be phased out, if for nothing else, to be equal to the rest of the world. Ultimately, LTE is the goal. They predict speeds upwards to 100Mbs, (we're sitting at around 1-2 at the moment & I believe the WiMax (coined 4G although not true 4G) is nearing 10-12 Mbs. I wouldn't hold your breath on those speeds as it takes a long time to get a full network up to speed.
    You really think GSM will take over? I thought the encryption was recently hacked and deemed insecure. Doesn't that make it pretty much worthless?
    gsm isn't going take over. At&t and verizon are actively building out LTE for their 4g network.

the scary one is wimax, which is only being used by sprint (and maybe tmobile?) That was a bad idea to bet on wimax.
  5.    #5  
    I though T-mobile was going for LTE? (That's why Myriam & Chris were so fascinated at the thought of a Sprint/T-mobile merger).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I think its assumed T-Mobile is going LTE since they are already GSM.

To me, call it whatever as my use for mobile networks FOR NOW is limited to my phone 95% of the time. So the current Wimax network is more than enough for me:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_26HnOwks9Iw/TP...1206122721.png
    All i ask is keep it affordable and keep it competitive. I think thats what most people want too.
    the reason it will hurt sprint is that they won't have the economy of scale and vendor influence if all the companies are making all their money on LTE.

same problem palm is having. Hard to get flagship status in a world dominated by HTC and Blackberry.

if sprint wants the iphone, how hard would it be to get apple to waste time developing a wimax version if they can't sell it through any other carrier? And if they do it, how much more will they have to pay than other carriers because apple would essentially be building a custome phone just for sprint that wouldn't ever produce the numbers apple demands from a market.

just sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I though T-mobile was going for LTE? (That's why Myriam & Chris were so fascinated at the thought of a Sprint/T-mobile merger).
    I think T-mobile is claiming HSPA+ as their "4G" system for the moment.
    It looks like Sprint is pushing T-Mobile to partner on Clearwire WiMax network - according to this article on Mobiledia:

Sprint Pushes Clearwire, T-Mobile on 4G Deal - Mobiledia
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Canada is a good example - all carriers have now switched to some form of GSM/LTE. Fifteen or so years ago only one small carrier used GSM (Fido - now part of Rogers).

Bell and Telus both just switched.

Although the new carriers are using The AWS band - they fall back to GSM.
    Global Posts
    2,181 Global Posts
    Just for your FYI, there are ove 500 CDMA carriers thought out the cellphone world. Sprint and VZW aren't the only 2.
    just for your for your information.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by aharmsworth View Post
    Canada is a good example - all carriers have now switched to some form of GSM/LTE. Fifteen or so years ago only one small carrier used GSM (Fido - now part of Rogers).

Bell and Telus both just switched.

Although the new carriers are using The AWS band - they fall back to GSM.
    I'd like to know how you figure Bell and Telus both switched. I can tell you, that I personally(with my 3-man crew), installed a good chunk of Bell/Telus's 3.5G Network here in Alberta. 850MHz and 1900MHz RRU's were installed initially to get up to a 3G status with expansion available for a 3rd Diversity RRU (1900MHz) which would increase the speed(not sure by how much as I'm out of that game now). After almost a full year of upgrading all their sites, to 3.5G CDMA, I hardly doubt it's been switched over to GSM, already. (that was completed to workable state September 2009 and work still continued afterwards).
    For the record, fyi if you will, the difference between the 2 technologies can be summarized:

[I]CDMA: It is mostly used in America and some parts of Asia. It is currently making progress in other parts of the world, but the coverage is still limited compared to the GSM technology. Its support is currently non-existent in Europe because the European Union mandates the sole use of GSM. In North America however, CDMA generally offers a better coverage than GSM in some rural areas because it was deployed earlier. Its network reaches over 270 million users worldwide.

GSM: Being an international standard, it is better suited for international roaming, provided you own a quad-band cell phone (850/900/1800/1900 MHz). The GSM network is also well established in North America, but not as much as the CDMA network yet. Its network reaches over a billion users worldwide.

CDMA is prominent in North America, but GSM reaches a lot more users worldwide (about 1 billion vs 270 million). In the CDMA vs. GSM debate, GSM wins if you plan to travel to foreign countries but CDMA might have a better coverage in your area.[I]

Seems to me, the reason with the whole GSM mandate in EU was largely due to the population density over there as compared to here, it would have been an infrastructure nightmare.
    I recognize that GSM is better but I went CDMA cause I got sick of every speaker my GSM phones were near where buzzing all the time.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    CDMA can't access data and make a call at the same time if I recall correctly, while GSM can.
    GSM is more commonly used worldwide.

HSPA+ seems to be able to go up as fast as WiiMax or LTE in theory.

I see no benefit of CDMA, so yeah. Dead end.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Here's a good one, who has more subscribers cdma verizon or gsm att....answer cdma verizon.
    Who has more subscribers cdma sprint or gsm tmo......answer cdma sprint.
    That's for the people who say it's all about to numbers .....cdma wins.
    Now truthfully I only see two advantages with gsm 1) voice and data simultaneously, which cdma is capable of doing, but hey it doesn't. 2) sim cards are very nice and it makes switching from phone to phone really simple.

What other advantages does gsm have over cdma that I have missed?
    Global Posts
    2,181 Global Posts
    Well GSM is easier to crack then CDMA is. To be honest CDMA is based on spread spectrum which makes it harder to crack with out the encryption key.
    UMTS will actually reign supreme in the near future.

Its like GSM but even more open and universal.

Both GSM and CDMA are going the way of the dodo.

LTE, HSDPA+ will both be used with UMTS.

WiMax is actually interesting because it isnt actually DATA in the traditional sense.

While LTE and HSDPA+ (and other Data transmission methods like EDGE and 3G) are closely tied into the transmission for the phone radio (they broadcast from the same tower etc) WiMax is a completely different transmission and technology from phones.

Basically WiMax was set up as the standard to broadcast Wireless Internet to consumer homes in locations where there is no high speed service.

Sprint just cashed in on this by adding WiMax radios to their phones.

The WiMax internet you receive is actually from a completely different radio in the phone from a completely different tower and different service. It was never really intended to be used for cellphones.

Its more of a stopgap measure that Sprint uses for 4G transmission rates, and I dont really see it getting much support in the future.
    for me, CDMA on Sprint wins hands down! Went head to head with Verizon when my then Cingular contract was up. Sprint had better coverage in my service area and better call quality. I doubt CDMA In the states is going anywhere any time soon. I donlt miss that annoying buzz when thr GSM phone was searching for signal or receiving a signal! I also don't miss the annoyance of SIM cards malfunctioning and the way they cannot transfer data properly when phones are changed! I for one am happy there is a better alternative to GSM!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast