Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Here's a good one, who has more subscribers cdma verizon or gsm att....answer cdma verizon.
    Who has more subscribers cdma sprint or gsm tmo......answer cdma sprint.
    That's for the people who say it's all about to numbers .....cdma wins.
    That doesn't take into account the domination of GSM outside of North America.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    UMTS will actually reign supreme in the near future.

Its like GSM but even more open and universal.

Both GSM and CDMA are going the way of the dodo.
    Not sure how it's set up in the USA, but currently Roger's networks have both GSM and UMTS antenna on each sector of a cellsite whether it be a tower or rooftop.

and there is STILL 850MHz CDMA technology being constructed for Telus in BC as we speak. The benefit of the lower frequency allows for a less direct, non line-of-sight type of signal, usually used in more rural areas where there are more rolling hills, mountains, trees etc.

I was just talking to a buddy of mine doing the building, they (Telus/Bell)had decided that not enough 850 sites were set up and the outskirting areas were drawing too much signal off urban sites.

Bottom line, if they are still pumping capital into this "deadend" technology, it may be "deadend" but they are certainly planning on using it for a while yet, (at least here in Canada)
    strange though with wimax, and LTE cause is wiki it shows wimax potential is higher:

LTE UMTS/4GSM General 4G OFDMA/MIMO/SC-FDMA 100 (in 20MHz channel) 50 (in 20 MHz channel) LTE-Advanced update expected to offer peak rates of at least 1 Gbit/s fixed speeds and 100 Mbit/s to mobile users.

WiMAX 802.16e Mobile Internet MIMO-SOFDMA 128 (in 20MHz channel) 56 (in 20MHz channel) WiMAX update IEEE 802.16m expected to offer peak rates of at least 1 Gbit/s fixed speeds and 100Mbit/s to mobile users

as we all know wimax 2 already tested at over 300mbps, they say the advantage is of course wimax 1 can upgrade to wimax 2 with a simple software upgrade meaning no new production for towers, as well as the idea with wimax 2 is:

"WiMAX 2 works by splitting data transmission across multiple wireless channels. The industry association behind the system likens this to building roads to cope with 20 lanes worth of traffic. Although the total space required is the same, it is easier logistically to build four highways each with five lanes than it would be to build one highway with 20 lanes"

What Is WiMAX 2?

as well as wimax can upgrade to LTE, but looking at these specs why would sprint worry about doing so.
    food for thought:

CDMA: stands for Code Division Multiple Access. Both data and voice are separated
    from signals using codes and then transmited using a wide frequency range. Because of
    this, there are more space left for data transfer (this was one of the reasons why CDMA
    is the prefered technology for the 3G generation, which is broadband access and the use
    of big multimedia messages). 14% of the worldwide market goes to CDMA. For the 3G
    generation CDMA uses 1x EV-DO and EV-DV. It has a lot of users in Asia, specially in
    South Korea.

• GSM: stands for Global System Mobile. Even though it is sold as "the latest
    technology" in several countries, this technology is older than CDMA (and also
    TDMA). But keep in mind that this doesn't mean that GSM is inferior or worse than
    CDMA. Roaming readiness and fraud prevention are two major advantages from this
    technology. GSM is the most used cell phone technology in the world, with 73% of the
    worldwide market. It has a very strong presence in Europe.

To my understanding CDMA has a much much larger bandwidth then GSM, the reason why alot of anyalist on wall street state a Iphone on Verizon will not suffer the same issues as AT&T has in the past, and present. Regarding data usage, dropped calls, and speed due to the high usage.
    Just to muddy the waters... UMTS is based on CDMA type technologies.

My understanding is that both GSM and CDMA carriers are looking towards UMTS for the future.

Additionally VOIP type technology is expected to replace "voice" and "data" being treated separately on the networks over time. This removes one of the differences between GSM and CDMA.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    It is my understanding that CDMA requires more power than GSM and thus GSM phones last longer on a battery charge than their sister counterparts in the CDMA world, especially in weak reception areas. Anything that boosts the Pre's battery life is a blessing.
    As much as I love CDMA with Sprint, I think that everyone will move to the same thing to help everyone with coverage. So GSM (and eventually LTE) is where it is probably headed in the near future.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    As much as I love CDMA with Sprint, I think that everyone will move to the same thing to help everyone with coverage. So GSM (and eventually LTE) is where it is probably headed in the near future.
    I think so too, though sprint I think will also still include wimax on their roster just due to the benifits of that service.
    One thing you need to remember is that GSM has such a large presence primarily because the EU (actually before they became the EU) decided to mandate a single technology rather than to allow free-market competition like we have here in the states and elsewhere. That is the sole reason for the huge difference in the number of GSM users vs CDMA users globally.

And while GSM does have some minor advantages, with most everything that can be scientifically measured and compared between CDMA and GSM, CDMA comes out on top. GSM has historically had lower power consumption, and the ability to switch phones by swapping a SIM card. Although, as already noted SIMs can also be a disadvantage, and the percentage of people who actually make use of the advantages provided by SIM cards is small. In every other regard, CDMA is the better technology.

When I first shopped for a cell phone, I knew I would be replacing my land line with the cell, so for me, the deciding factor back in 2000 was sound quality. I did not want people to be able to tell that I was on a cell. So I tried every carrier available at the time and decided on Sprint. And since all versions of CDMA are backwards compatible with previous versions, I was never forced to switch phones, whereas the upgrade path for TDMA always meant a new device.

But for me, the reason I stick with CDMA is the reason I chose it in the first place: sound quality. I can always tell when I am calling someone on AT&T or T-Mo, because of the sound quality. I notice it most when I want to have a long conversation via phone. Doesn't happen that often, but if the other party is on GSM, I never want to talk for very long. Not to say that there aren't some crappy-sounding phones on CDMA, because there are. But with a decent phone CDMA always sounds better IMO.
    Last edited by Syndil; 12/12/2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    gsm isn't going take over. At&t and verizon are actively building out LTE for their 4g network.

the scary one is wimax, which is only being used by sprint (and maybe tmobile?) That was a bad idea to bet on wimax.
    WiMAX is being in over 140 countries ( 146 Countries Use WiMAX, Total Deployments Reach 519 - Softpedia ), including USA. Sprint is just the only CELL PHONE company using WiMAX. Comcast and Time Warner are also using the same WiMAX network that Sprint uses. I also think it's a better plan to use LTE and WiMAX -- a combined network -- which from how Dan Hesse talks about WiMAX and going to LTE, it seems like Sprint will be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I though T-mobile was going for LTE? (That's why Myriam & Chris were so fascinated at the thought of a Sprint/T-mobile merger).
    T-Mobile considered buying stock in Clearwire -- and using WiMAX. From what I have heard, T-Mobile did not decide to use WiMAX.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12