Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Orignally I had Preware installed along with some packages and patches. I doctored it and took it in but they gave me this.

Sprint told me that my insurance would replace the phone for a $100 deductible, which is the current price of the Pre.

Such crap, I'm so frustrated with Palm. This is my fourth pre phone.
    How did they find out you had modded your phone? Where did they look?
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Yeah that's kinda crazy. My last Pre was about as modified as you could get. Heck it was even the one you may have saw on video running OpenOffice (yes, that modified). Keyboard was acting up, doctored it to see if it'd fix it. It didn't. I went in to my Sprint store and explained the issue. They didn't even *look* at my beaten and battered Pre. Just ordered a refurb. Went in the next day and did a full erase to clear the storage area and handed it over at the sign in screen. Never once did anyone even question my software choices. I even told them I'm a developer (so I obviously know how to work unofficial software).

Anyhow, my suggestion is to try another Sprint store.

- Phil -
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Yes, I got some friction from this one guy at a Sprint store once, said I wasnt under warrantee anymore for this reason... I went back the next day and someone else much more helpful ordered me a new one no questions asked.
  5.    #5  
    My mistake was not doctoring my phone the first time around, so I had a slightly modified splash screen. Add the battery percentage, and they're like ZOMG TEH PALM HAS BEEN HAX0R'D.

Enter a second Sprint store and they said the same thing with a doctored bone stock phone. I don't know if Preware leaves any mods behind, but it's certainly frustrating when insurance is asking you to a pay a deductible THAT'S FINANCIALLY EQUIVALENT TO A NEW PRE.

Sorry dudes, but I may have to ditch the pre until I can afford a worthwhile phone. I'm sticking to my work blackberry for now, but this is really gotten my goat
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Anyhow, my suggestion is to try another Sprint store.

- Phil -
    Yep, I feel it's all in the sprint stores you go to. Here's what happened to me one week ago..... I rooted my epic and didn't do much research after rooting, I thought I could do anything to the phone without a pc..... like a knuckle head I bricked it. The next day, took it to the sprint store told them I'm stoopid, I rooted my phone and ended up bricking it.... can you help me? He said I'd have to use tep, but then asked me. Does it do anything? Yeah it boots into recovery and boots to the boot screen, then just stays there. He said, hmm let me call the repair center, he called asked if they think they could reload software, they said send him over. 20 minutes later I arrive at the sprint repair center/store. They told me to leave it there and comeback in an hour or so and it should be good to go. I came back an hour later and they hand me a brand new epic with my old sd card in it and sent me on my merry way........ I was and still am shocked they didn't make me use my tep and I ordered my epic online from a1-wireless, not a sprint store.

Maybe having zero replacement pre's in 12months with tep, gave me some special status? Or the fact I was honest and told them I screwed up? IDK, but I love sprint for that, makes me glad I didn't leave because of no pre2.
    Tell them that it doesn't violate the warranty and as such they cannot require TEP.

If they refuse, tell them you're going to file a BBB complaint as well as "speak with my lawyer" then go to another store and have a go there (but with a fully doctored phone).
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 11/20/2010 at 11:08 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Trojan View Post
    My mistake was not doctoring my phone the first time around, so I had a slightly modified splash screen. Add the battery percentage, and they're like ZOMG TEH PALM HAS BEEN HAX0R'D.

Enter a second Sprint store and they said the same thing with a doctored bone stock phone. I don't know if Preware leaves any mods behind, but it's certainly frustrating when insurance is asking you to a pay a deductible THAT'S FINANCIALLY EQUIVALENT TO A NEW PRE.

Sorry dudes, but I may have to ditch the pre until I can afford a worthwhile phone. I'm sticking to my work blackberry for now, but this is really gotten my goat
    Oh... The first Sprint store probably put on note on your account about the modded Pre.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Also, everyone remember that the TEP policies have changed are *more* lenient. I'm well out of warranty and my Pre was all banged up with huge chips missing. Still replaced it for free no problem.
    modified with Preware, theme installed but have the dreaded USB crack...Sprint replacing mine but their first question was "Do you have the insurance?"
    I have a strong belief that Sprint techs all know of Preware and think anyone who keeps a Sprint Pre wil or has to use it to make the phone 'more enjoyable'. I went in and just ask about replacing my power button and the tech was giving me the third degree about Preware and how we (the users of Preware) are the reason Sprint doesn't want or is hesitating new Palm phones. I just looked @ him, got my phone back and thanked him for his multi-million opinion on his min wage pay.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I had the USB crack, it started to go across the screen. So I had to get a new Pre with insurance. When I got the new Pre I put all my patches back on. The battery would die (with no use) in about 2 hours. I doctored it, put the patches back on with the same result.

I brought it to Sprint, I said I know your going to say do a system reset and come back if the battery stays the same. I've already done it twice and I'm not driving 45 mintues home, knowing it will happen again. He said ok, hold on. He brought my phone in back.

Now my phone was bone stock. He said we ordered you a new one. We'll call you tomorrow to pick it up. He then said, "for future referance you shouldn't use 3rd party apps and files, cause it could corrupt your phone. I said ok, do you see any 3rd party apps on there? He said no, I'm just telling you. I said even if I did, it would void my insurance. He said I know, I'm just saying.

I don't know why he said what he said, but I felt that Sprint reps are told that Pre owners are patching their phones and they believed that this act is causing phone problems and return issues.

Guilt by association!
    Last edited by Spikea4; 11/21/2010 at 01:15 AM.
    You just have to remember that most techs are idiots. They think doing anything beyond downloading app catalog apps and putting music/video on your phone is unofficial, warranty-voiding activity. This is Apple mentality where doing those things is indeed warranty-voiding, but not with webOS since HP/Palm has repeatedly come out embracing and recommending webOS Internals products, including Preware.

The safest bet is to just remove Preware before getting your phone serviced. There's an app/patch in Preware (can't remember what it is at the moment) that removes all your patches in one go. If you save the app/patch list and back it up using Save/Restore, you can get all your patches back in no time after getting your phone repaired/replaced.

P.S. I've read elsewhere that it's phone insurance that is causing inflated return numbers. I'm convinced that's the reason now.
    nothing about preware voids the warranty. WebOS wouldn't come with a dev mode if palm didn't intend for and support things like that. Not sure how he thought he could tell you had preware after a doctor. Maybe he guessed. But, he's wrong so you should try another store or call sprint cxust service.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Tell them that it doesn't violate the warranty and as such they cannot require TEP.

If they refuse, tell them you're going to file a BBB complaint as well as "speak with my lawyer" then go to another store and have a go there (but with a fully doctored phone).
    Does threatening to "speak with your lawyer" ever actually intimidate anyone into doing something you want them to do in a retail environment?

I think more likely it just causes people to shut down completely and refuse to work with you at all.
    How could you take a modified phone in for repair/replacement. Come on.. that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that. You won't get that phone repair/replace for free, unless you try using your manufacture warranty. Or, just pay the $100.

Note: If you have done any modification to your phone - "Do Not" return it for repairs/replacement, unless all modifications have been removed from the device.
    rush, he said he doctored it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    How could you take a modified phone in for repair/replacement. Come on.. that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that. You won't get that phone repair/replace for free, unless you try using your manufacture warranty. Or, just pay the $100.

Note: If you have done any modification to your phone - "Do Not" return it for repairs/replacement, unless all modifications have been removed from the device.
    He did remove all modifications...
    Quote...My mistake was not doctoring my phone the first time around, so I had a slightly modified splash screen. Add the battery percentage, and they're like ZOMG TEH PALM HAS BEEN HAX0R'D.Quote..

I was reading from the op second post - if I misunderstood then I apologize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Not sure how he thought he could tell you had preware after a doctor. Maybe he guessed.
    The doctor doesn't erase the USB portion (unless you choose to erase it.) It's possible they looked and saw directories/files associated with preware.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast