Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    true, but none of that violates the warranty. They also have a strict process of wiping phones when they are returned, so they wouldn't be following procedures if they looked first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    The doctor doesn't erase the USB portion (unless you choose to erase it.) It's possible they looked and saw directories/files associated with preware.
    That would have to be one nosey representative, or technician.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    That would have to be one nosey representative, or technician.
    Yep, they probably copied all his pr0n too...
    The Sprint store I go to doesn't care about preware, in fact the employee's that use Pre's at the store have OC'd & run many patches lol. Just depends on the store really.
    Last edited by draztikrhymez; 11/22/2010 at 07:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    The Sprint store I go to doesn't care about preware, in fact the people that use Pre's at the store have OC'd & run many patches lol. Just depends on the store really.
    +1 it's the same way at the sprint store I got to, on of the reps was tellin me how he had just serviced a guy that had done all types of crazy things to his pre and I took my in w/ 30+ patches & a theme on top of it (mic was broken) it got replaced with no problem.. Tru story....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  6.    #26  
    I'm thinking about going to ONE more Sprint ReadyNow store, in downtown Los Angeles. But the first job already put notes on my account about "software changes."

I'm hoping that I can just go into this 3rd store, talk to a manager or rep that will simply look at it first glance (say just touching the non-functioning touch screen) and just send for a new one.

I don't care at this point, I just don't want to pay $100 deductible for a $100 new pre. I'm using a rinky dink flip at the moment, so we'll see. Any tips I can use when I go in?
    Doctoring the Pre back also proves that any issues you have (assuming still present afterwards) don't had anything to do with patching.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    there are some patches that leave traces behind even when you doctor it. I had the advanced launcher patch and I doctored it thinking everything would be cool, but I still had 5 pages instead of 3. I took it in not knowing I still had 5 and the tech said I modded the phone I said no I didn't and took it home. What I did was redownloaded the patch then put it back to just 3 pages and uninstalled the patch, then doctored again after I ran a backup and took the phone back in and got a new pre no problem. Once my pre completely fell apart so I couldn't change the pages and when I got a new one and signed into my phone I still had 5 pages. That particular patch must save with backup and transfer over when you sign into your profile. It sounds crazy but it happened. My guess is you had a patch that showed trace when you doctored.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    there are some patches that leave traces behind even when you doctor it. I had the advanced launcher patch and I doctored it thinking everything would be cool, but I still had 5 pages instead of 3. I took it in not knowing I still had 5 and the tech said I modded the phone I said no I didn't and took it home. What I did was redownloaded the patch then put it back to just 3 pages and uninstalled the patch, then doctored again after I ran a backup and took the phone back in and got a new pre no problem. Once my pre completely fell apart so I couldn't change the pages and when I got a new one and signed into my phone I still had 5 pages. That particular patch must save with backup and transfer over when you sign into your profile. It sounds crazy but it happened. My guess is you had a patch that showed trace when you doctored.
    The number of launcher pages and icon positions are stored in your Palm Profile, and do not mean that the patch is stored too. The patch just enables you to add and delete pages - once they are added the patch has no effect. You are correct that the existence of more than 3 launcher pages saved in your profile is a dead giveaway, but the patch itself is not saved.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Trojan View Post
    I'm thinking about going to ONE more Sprint ReadyNow store, in downtown Los Angeles. But the first job already put notes on my account about "software changes."

I'm hoping that I can just go into this 3rd store, talk to a manager or rep that will simply look at it first glance (say just touching the non-functioning touch screen) and just send for a new one.

I don't care at this point, I just don't want to pay $100 deductible for a $100 new pre. I'm using a rinky dink flip at the moment, so we'll see. Any tips I can use when I go in?
    well considering that preware is pretty much endorsed by palm . And the fact that doing homebrew does not void any warranty in and of itself should be a factor . And you may need to explain that to the highest up authority you can talk to . Now if they can find proof that you used a kernel then maybe they have grounds for refusal. Also you could call sprint (or your provider) and ask for retentions department and explain your issue to them, this has worked well for others if you are nice and calm when explaining your situation.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Orignally I had Preware installed along with some packages and patches. I doctored it and took it in but they gave me this.
    I think that since you received a replacement for the one that had preware on it then Sprint has no basis for not replacing your current Pre. The software modifications were on a previous version.

I am sure your current Pre with the inactive touchscreen has NO software modifications at all, right ? .......

They cannot decline to replace a current phone based on what you did to a previous phone. See where I am going?

Now, if it is obvious that you have a modified phone (now) then Sprint can certainly deny a no deductible replacement. Essentially, they are turning it in to Assurion and the reason they are saying you need to pay the deductible.

Also, shame on you for taking a working phone into the store with preware, patches and general modifications. Anyone who modifies their phone (software or hardware) is taking on the liability (read RISK). Never, ever take a phone into the store with modifications.

Good luck
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Also, shame on you for taking a working phone into the store with preware, patches and general modifications. Anyone who modifies their phone (software or hardware) is taking on the liability (read RISK). Never, ever take a phone into the store with modifications.
    I took in two Pre Pluses into Verizon. Both were overclocked to 1GHz, both had about twenty or more patches and had themes on them. I let a store rep look at one because my mother complained the N key didn't work right. The rep said nothing about the theme or speed, or any other patch. Am I saying that it is fine to take it in this way? No, I'm just saying that you can get lucky and have them say nothing.
    Heres what you do. Cancell the insurance. Go to the sprint store and tell them you need it repaired. They will take $35 and tell you to come back in two hours. When you return they will tell you they cant fix it and they will mail you a new phone. The Insurance is only good for if you loose the phone. Other than that, to repair or replace your Pre at this point is only $35. I just had it done with my phone which was out of warrenty.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Technically in all carriers eyes this voids your warranty. Everyone is complaining about the few times they actually follow their own rules. Usually they don't which should be seen as pretty cool over the 1/20 chance they actually follow policy.

As a former rep at a repair location you have to feel the situation out. Some people do mod their phones into the ground, its rare but it happens. People run into performance issues all the time that are directly caused by patches. Lag, restarts, battery life, ect. and it should not be the carriers responsibility to clean up the mess that you made. They are a business not a charity, and will provide a service to an extent but once the fault could reasonably be in your hands they really shouldn't be held responsible.
    Yep,reps are clueless

set using tap talk
    lol I once handed a Pre in with a red theme installed and all. No questions lol
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    The Sprint store I go to doesn't care about preware, in fact the employee's that use Pre's at the store have OC'd & run many patches lol. Just depends on the store really.
    Haha in fact last time I took my Pre to a sprint store the CS Rep asked me why I still had the Quick Launch bar and he preceeded to show me he had patched and themed his phone... lol... I guess it just really all depends who you talk to...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    While Preware itself may not void the warranty, anything that alters the processor or how that processor is governed [i.e. kernels] DOES void the warranty.

It IS important to note that just because you may have "doctored" the phone this does NOT mean you cleared the userspace.
    Preware and other "non-palm" apps leave behind some files in the userspace.
    [I believe it's Preware that can actually leave behind each and every patch/file installed via Preware]

If you did not clear the userspace [which seems very likely since there's really no way to tell a doctored phone otherwise] then it stands to reason that they could have went into the userspace and seen the files.
    ....maybe even determine that you had a replacement kernel installed.

That all being said I have two things to say:

1) [I'm not calling you specifically a liar] but usually there is much more to the story than this. It's not unlikely, it's really next to impossible that a tech is just going to go and try to find out you modified your phone without any cause.

2) If you ever have an issue with the store you always dial *2.
    They will do whatever possible to make you a satisfied customer.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    While Preware itself may not void the warranty, anything that alters the processor or how that processor is governed [i.e. kernels] DOES void the warranty.

It IS important to note that just because you may have "doctored" the phone this does NOT mean you cleared the userspace.
    Preware and other "non-palm" apps leave behind some files in the userspace.
    [I believe it's Preware that can actually leave behind each and every patch/file installed via Preware]

If you did not clear the userspace [which seems very likely since there's really no way to tell a doctored phone otherwise] then it stands to reason that they could have went into the userspace and seen the files.
    ....maybe even determine that you had a replacement kernel installed.

That all being said I have two things to say:

1) [I'm not calling you specifically a liar] but usually there is much more to the story than this. It's not unlikely, it's really next to impossible that a tech is just going to go and try to find out you modified your phone without any cause.

2) If you ever have an issue with the store you always dial *2.
    They will do whatever possible to make you a satisfied customer.
    Well I can tell you this:

1. While I was tempted to oc, I did not download that app.
    2. Only mods made were my themes, boot screen (a blue hue), and several patches (no names, smoked window, x message cards, etc), but nothing extraordinary.
    3. I did not clear the userspace.
    4. My phone was taken in with the following issues: cannot hear callers, touchscreen does not work most of the time, phone does not vibrate when in silent. The tech told the manager which told me about the "glowing blue hue on startup" and how that has messed up the entire phone. I admit this was my mistake, not taking this out.
    5. I can go ahead and call them, but I don't know how I can possibly get a no-cost replacement.
    Well I can tell you this:

1. While I was tempted to oc, I did not download that app.
    2. Only mods made were my themes, boot screen (a blue hue), and several patches (no names, smoked window, x message cards, etc), but nothing extraordinary.
    3. I did not clear the userspace.
    4. My phone was taken in with the following issues: cannot hear callers, touchscreen does not work most of the time, phone does not vibrate when in silent. The tech told the manager which told me about the "glowing blue hue on startup" and how that has messed up the entire phone. I admit this was my mistake, not taking this out.
    5. I can go ahead and call them, but I don't know how I can possibly get a no-cost replacement.
    See, your modifications were still done.
    It's very possible that whatever attempt to OC you did was still there for him to see.

Call *2 say that you are upset because the store is denying your replacement because you had a theme on the phone.
    Tell them your issues [which obviously have nothing to do with a theme].
    Explain to them that you are very dissatisfied with the way you were treated at the store.
    Maybe even throw in the word "switching" if that is necessary.

Be polite but firm.
    You'll get it replaced via mail.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast