Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...webos device?

("Due to the graphic nature of this thread, members discretion is advice")

Is it likely that Sprint will be the first to carry the next webos phone, or be left out again?

Comments -
    Last edited by RUSH; 11/20/2010 at 03:42 PM.
    110% sure sprint will have it.
    maybe
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Only if it has 4g wimax; Something tells me sprint is up to something. I think that they are only carrying "superphones" if they have a 4g radio in it; maybe because it justifies the 10 dollar premium data fee.

Seriously sprint has two high end android phones; evo and epic(both have 4g), The rest are very low end peices of garbage. And we already know they are not getting the pre2.

It seems that any data gobbling "superphone" sprint comes out with has to have 4g, that way they can charge the 10 dollar fee; However I think sprint should just state that his fee is for very high end phones using 3g. that way people in non 4g areas can't complain.

Look at what att and verizon have done with the emergence of these "superphones" changed to a ripoff tiered data plan; So sprint must also do something and I think a ten dollar fee is much better for these types of phones than tiered data plans for all devices.
    Sprint wasn't "left out", they chose not to participate.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Seriously sprint has two high end android phones; evo and epic(both have 4g), The rest are very low end peices of garbage. And we already know they are not getting the pre2.
    Low end garbage? wow I didn't know phones had to have x specs and cost $200+ to be consider non garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    However I think sprint should just state that his fee is for very high end phones using 3g. that way people in non 4g areas can't complain.
    They kinda do..

Premium Data
    This phone can do it all and then some. Because we've boosted your data experience with this phone's amazing services and features, you'll need this add-on. Enjoy:

It is not sold as 4G but as premium data package.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Low end garbage? wow I didn't know phones had to have x specs and cost $200+ to be consider non garbage.

They kinda do..

Premium Data
    This phone can do it all and then some. Because we've boosted your data experience with this phone's amazing services and features, you'll need this add-on. Enjoy:

It is not sold as 4G but as premium data package.
    ok maybe garbage was a little to strong of a word; but they are fairly lower end phones phones maybe midrange at best. I would like to see more than just evo for slab smartphones. It seems that sprint is putting all their eggs in one basket when it comes to high end slabs. But Thats a whole other story with sprint, they did the same with pre.

I don't think most people realize that 10 dollar charge is for premium data on very high end devices. most think it is a 4g charge and if not in a 4g area they complain. They should think of 4g as a free perk, and the 10 dollar charge for premium data.

Now one might say why should i pay this 10$ charge for premium data, when i have an everything plan; and wasn't that the whole point of requiring a everything plan for data intensive os's (android, webos). ?

-----Answer: Yes data intensive OS's require everything data, because the os is an always on data experience using a lot of data. Even though you have some unlimited data plan for 10$ that you bought when smartphones were only blackberries, and windows.

-----However there are now these super high end phones that use the asme data intensive os's however these phones use so much data and are so powerful we have to charge you a 10$ dollar premium data fee.
    (which is a million times better that what att and verizon did by going to tiered data plans for everyone.)

I guess my point is sprint seems reluctant to have a high end non 4g android or webos phone, because charging the 10$ fee would give them more headaches.
    I guarantee... and this is a genuine fact-based guarantee... that the probability of it launching on Sprint first (of the US carriers) is between 0% and 100% inclusive.

Guaranteed. In fact, I'd bet a million dollars it is.

Here's the fact:
    It cannot possibly be less than 0% likely, because a 0% likelihood is as low as it gets, and not higher than 100% because 100% is as high as it gets.

Anyways, on a more serious note: Nobody but the "Product Developers" at Sprint and "Carrier Partnership Developers" at HP and Palm know this at this time. Well, if they've already started serious talks on the matter then the executives at both companies will know, as well as the Board of Directors (in the coming months, as they say )

We won't know for sure until an announcement is made. There will probably be a "leak" saying that it will go to CricKet first (even though it is a prepaid cell carrier), and all of the Sprint users will go on a rampage (note, I'm saying this as a Sprint user).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  9. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I'm confident it will . . .just a hunch, but look at what is going on in the industry across the carriers. HP/Palm and Sprint are solidifying their biz relationship I believe. I hope in the coming months is soon! I'm waiting for the pre-order url for the WebOS "next phone and the pad".
    Maybe "somewhere over the rainbow"
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Yep Rush!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    200% positive
    Loving my Palm Pixi everyday.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Sprint wasn't "left out", they chose not to participate.
    Sprint is just full of it. They had(Allegedly) suppose to have pass on the pre 2 for the next webos device. Hopefully, it's what they've been waiting for.
    People need to stop complaining about the $10 charge for 4G on Sprint. I know they said it isn't a charge for 4G, but it is. The problem is that Clearwire charges sprint just shy of $5 for every EVO and Epic, regardless of whether it is in a 4G area. Sprint charges more because they have to deal with the extra billing/issues because of this. Do they deal with $5 more? of course not, but they're a business.

Do I think the whole thing is BS? Of course, but Clearwire is the problem, not Sprint. They could not have their billing system work by geographic location. They can't have one person billed differently based on their city for the same plan. They definitely cannot raise someone's bill by $10 once they make 4G active even if clear wasn't requiring it for phones outside of 4g coverage. That would break contracts and people could leave with the phones and no ETF.

Sprint, Clearwire Enter Arbitration for WiMAX Fees; Implications for the Infamous 4G Charge? | Android Phone Fans
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Delight33 View Post
    200% positive
    That's a lot of confident to put into a company.. that seems to not care about a majority of their customers.
    Also, I doubt Sprint gets anything other carriers don't. If they require the wimax radio, that will just mean we get the phones later than others.
    doesn't sprint own part of clearwire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    doesn't sprint own part of clearwire?
    Sprint owns part of Clear. Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR), through its operating subsidiaries, is a leading provider of mobile broadband services. Our 4G network is currently available in areas of the U.S. where 41 million people live and the company plans to continue to expand our 4G coverage. Clearwire's open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next generation broadband access. The company markets its service through its own brand called CLEAR as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks.

Last I understood is that Sprint had a 54% controlling investment in Clear. If this is still so does it mean that sprint is suing themselves?
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 11/20/2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    sprint wants to sell phones. lots of them. the more they sell, the more money they make.

if palm wants to sell sprint phones, they will need to be 4g enabled so they align with sprint's 4g first-to-market advantage.

there is no sense in heavily advertising the 3g technology found in the pre2 when we are about to begin a new decade ushering in the coming of 4g.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    110% sure sprint will have it.
    I agree, but I'm still leaning towards a Q2 2011 launch date. Two sprint stores and one tech over the phone, all said the same thing. "we will have a new webOS phone, but it will take some time, by the end of Q2 2011" I found it odd they all had the same opinion and they weren't trying to sell me anything, I already had my epic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast