Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I fell in love with the palm pre and bought it today, and when I got home I found out that I have no 3g and in roaming in my house. At about 1/2 mile to the North, 3g is goood and so is the phone service.

Anyone used an amp/repeater system??? I do not want to again change service providers.
    Hi freedog,

I believe some members have had good luck in contacting Sprint and letting them know that the service at their home was terrible. They've been able to get Sprint to offer them the Airave at no charge to give them a signal. It's definitely worth a call!
    Contact Sprint and discuss your situation with them. If they can verify that where you live doesn't have strong 3g coverage - they'll work out something for you.

Note: The palm pre has wifi capabilities.. So, if you have wifi you could use it to surf the web.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Sprint has the airave, which works great. But, you need internet for it to work.

Second, I have been with Sprint for years. I just moved and now I'm roaming at home. I received a letter from Sprint 2 days ago stating, if I continue to voice roam as much as I do, they will terminate my service.

Keep that in mind. They will cancel your service!
    Just to second the Airrave recommendation. A little complaining to the Sprint rep got me one for free (although it does cost $5/month for the service). Works great for voice, but you still need wi-fi for data. Also, it helps to have a fairly fast internet connection. Mine worked OK on DSL, but broke up if someone else was doing some heavy downloads. No problems after switching to FIOS.

I also looked at the amp/repeater systems at the time (about a year ago). They seemed a little too expensive and complicated for me, but that could have changed.
    Sprint actually has two different Airaves. The Airave 1 is the old model, it doesn't support 3G and you will have to pay $4.99/mo for access. You may also have to pay for the Airave itself $99, but they usually wave that. The new Airave 2 or Airvana supports 3G speeds and also VoIP phone service (haven't tried the VoIP yet). Sprint isn't advertising the new Airave yet, I had to call the Airave only support number and work my way up the food chain to get it. I'd strongly recommended you try to get the new Airave so your phone doesn't constantly switch between 1x (Airave) and 3G (limited/no service). You may also be able to get the $4.99/mo waved. I got the first Airave when it originally came out and since I paid the $99 they waved the $4.99/mo for the first couple of months. When my Airave 1 started malfunctioning and I got upgrade to the Airvana they waved the $4.99 again, but I don't know how long that'll last.
    Call a CSR for Sprint and be very angry with them and say you will cancel your service unless they fix this reception issue. Make sure you get transferred to the Retention/Cancellation department. Complain to them and they should hook you up with a free Airave and wave the $5 monthly charge. I did this and it worked like a charm.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  8.    #8  
    I wanna thank you guys, I took your advice and it worked! No charge and no monthly billing...
    I got Sprint on my list but seems to be not so good provider after all.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    no offense or anything but that's why you get verizon. Ivehad them for two years never had a dead spot
    Well consider yourself lucky...because Verizon has many, I know first hand....NO CARRIER GIVES YOU 100% complete coverage...NONE! Verizon tries (and very successfully) to fool people into thinking they do...but they don't
    That is correct, no carrier gives 100% coverage everywhere, there will always be spots where there are issues.

When I was in PA and in the boonies, outside of Pittsburgh, the ONLY company that provided me with good coverage there was Sprint. I tried both AT&T and Verizon and the coverage was horrible, but with Sprint, I never had a problem there.

Here, in WA, I also get great Sprint coverage, however, my roommate on Verizon is always roaming at home.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I resemble that remark. I live in the boonies outside Pittsburgh. Almost always good Sprint service. And this is serious Verizon country.
    Dan
    I don't understand this conversation, but I'm easily confused. I thought many of the Sprint customers on this board have said that Sprint roams on Verizon Towers. The inference from this was that you would always have coverage as long as a Verizon tower was nearby.

Is this true or not?

I think in those discussions the comment was made that Verizon customers would get 'first dibs' on tower bandwidth, and anything left over could be used by Sprint roaming.

I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to switch over to Sprint, but if I don't get decent service at my home, why would I do that? Well, there is free GPS Navigation....

Right now I spend about $125 a month for 3 phones...one has a small data plan, and we pay for unlimited texting. They are 2g and 3g phones...no smart phones (mine is a Pre on a different account with my business). It looks like I wouldn't save tons getting the same type of phones...but I could get smart phones with unlimited data plans for about $15 or $20 more a month.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I don't understand this conversation, but I'm easily confused. I thought many of the Sprint customers on this board have said that Sprint roams on Verizon Towers. The inference from this was that you would always have coverage as long as a Verizon tower was nearby.

Is this true or not?

I think in those discussions the comment was made that Verizon customers would get 'first dibs' on tower bandwidth, and anything left over could be used by Sprint roaming.

I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to switch over to Sprint, but if I don't get decent service at my home, why would I do that? Well, there is free GPS Navigation....

Right now I spend about $125 a month for 3 phones...one has a small data plan, and we pay for unlimited texting. They are 2g and 3g phones...no smart phones (mine is a Pre on a different account with my business). It looks like I wouldn't save tons getting the same type of phones...but I could get smart phones with unlimited data plans for about $15 or $20 more a month.
    Yes, Sprint does roam on Verizon's towers.

You can also check, according to your zipcode, on the Sprint site to check the coverage in your area.
    And the other basic issue is that those roaming agreements, to use other towers, cost the carrier money, therefore, they don't want customers that are always roaming.

Sprint charges nothing for roaming in the U.S.
    Another question for Sprint folks...one of the 3 phones I have on Verizon has about 9 more months before it is eligible for an upgrade...so there is going to be a termination fee. A friend of my daughter said when they switched to Sprint, that Sprint covered the termination fee. Is that normal, something I should ask for? Apparantly Sprint will be giving me a 20% discount already...but I don't want to have to spend a lot of money just to move.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Not sure if it is a currently advertised, or even available, offer, but just ask them nicely when you talk to them that you want to bring 3 lines in, but have X dollars ETF, and will they cover it? They might do this with new service, and Sprint usually doesn't go beyond 2 year agreements, so it might not extend your contract at all.

Airave is achieved for free or little cost by many, especially if you're in the "best" coverage area per the Sprint maps.

(Sprint customer for 12 years, they have always provided good or great C.S. to us.)
    I see pandas.
    It looks like coverage is good around my house.

As I was looking at the Sprint coverage map, I noticed this additional note in roaming areas: "Limited access to make and receive calls". Would this be areas where Sprint might be using Verizon towers? Can you use data in these areas, or only voice?

EDIT: I just noticed the 3g data tab. I've got most excellent 3g coverage at my house...according to Bill and Ted's map. When you are data roaming, it looks like you don't have access to Sprint Navigation data? Do you guys find this to be a problem?

I've never had a problem making or receiving calls when roaming. It usually works fine on Sprint or Verizon towers.

Posted from my eVo!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast