Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    So I've been eligible for an upgrade for a while now. I have a Sprint Pre, and I was hoping to get the Pre2, but it looks like that won't be happening.

How likely is it looking that Palm will have something new for Sprint at the beginning of next year? Will it use WebOS (the only reason I'm staying with Palm)?

Thanks!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Well, due to the HP.com appearance of the Pre2 unlocked GSM early this morning, I think HP/Palm is holding everything in reserve until CES. I don't think we'll hear a peep until then, just rumors. When will the new phones be released? Hopefully with Q1 2011, but it just may be later.

I'm probably waiting until 4/1 to save $150 with Sprint for the CES announced phone.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Yah, I'm thinking it will be after CES, too. When is that again? February?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    jan 9 or so
    Since I'm under contract with 4 devices on Sprint I guess I'll be waiting a while.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    So I've been eligible for an upgrade for a while now. I have a Sprint Pre, and I was hoping to get the Pre2, but it looks like that won't be happening.

How likely is it looking that Palm will have something new for Sprint at the beginning of next year? Will it use WebOS (the only reason I'm staying with Palm)?

Thanks!
    We're all hoping for sprint to carry the pre 2, or have something else for us in the early part of the new year. It's really sad they we have all these unanswered questions..and no one to assure us of anything concrete.

I'm holding on... I need a phone to be typing this comment right now, and I'm optimistic that Hp|Palm and Sprint has to have something great for webos users.

My suggestion to you is > "Hold On"
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Yah, I'm thinking it will be after CES, too. When is that again? February?
    Jan 6-9
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    No one can say for sure if Sprint will be getting a webOS phone in the future, although I'm fairly certain that they will. The decision you need to make is, are you choosing your cell service based on your carrier or you phone. If it's your carrier, then stick with Sprint. If you can't wait to upgrade your phone, get and Evo or an Epic, and when/if they get a webOS phone, you can sell that phone and switch back. Or wait a year and get it with your next upgrade.
    If you absolutely need to upgrade and need to be guaranteed a webOS phone, go to Verizon. We know for a fact that the pre 2 is coming for V, so hop on over and pick one up. Then, if a new webOS phone comes out on Sprint that you want more than the pre 2, simply repeat the above directions.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Lather, rinse, repeat.

Thanks!
    I'm on Sprint and eligible for an upgrade also.
    A few days ago I was getting some help with my usb modem from a Sprint tech rep (not a sales rep). At the end of the call I asked him if Sprint had a new Palm phone coming out soon. He said "Hang on a minute" and put me on hold. When he came back, he said "I found a bulletin in the system that said Sprint will have a new Palm phone mid February". I asked for details; screen size, keyboard or name. He said "That's all it said".
    I think it will be announced at CES and I'm looking forward to it.
    I agree with morrison0880. I'm sticking with Sprint because so far they have been a good carrier for me (tried Verizon and it was horrible...nickle and dimed me to death). I have been babying my launch day Pre- to hold out for the next WebOS device. I'm good with phones and hope it will last awhile even if Palm, HP, or WebOS doesn't come back to Sprint. Don't get me wrong that if there's a chance for me to hack a WebOS phone to Sprint in the event they don't approve another device I'm doing it. WebOS IMO is like Apple in reverse when they came out with the iPhone. The iPhone has had great hardware from the jump but a bad OS. On the other hand WebOS is an awesome OS but crappy hardware.
    I would say stick it out. Sprint is an excellent carrier, and I think (and hope like many other here) that CES will bring something new from HP Palm to all carriers (especially Sprint).

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I chose the best of both worlds. I bought an evo yesterday,and as soon as the new sprint webs device comes out I Will switch right back.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    No one can say for sure if Sprint will be getting a webOS phone in the future, although I'm fairly certain that they will. The decision you need to make is, are you choosing your cell service based on your carrier or you phone. If it's your carrier, then stick with Sprint. If you can't wait to upgrade your phone, get and Evo or an Epic, and when/if they get a webOS phone, you can sell that phone and switch back. Or wait a year and get it with your next upgrade.
    If you absolutely need to upgrade and need to be guaranteed a webOS phone, go to Verizon. We know for a fact that the pre 2 is coming for V, so hop on over and pick one up. Then, if a new webOS phone comes out on Sprint that you want more than the pre 2, simply repeat the above directions.
    I have a few phones on sprint, service is adequate for competitive pricing (pure biz decision since I work for this "bread". So, at this moment it's Sprint that "has me". Like to C a new devise from HPWebOS though. Oh, don't want a "brick" in my pocket it's called mobile phone for a reason.....

Thanks!
    BTW, nice pic! Tell Trent to smile next time.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Yes, CES is Jan 6-9. You can bet I will be hitting up the HP booth on opening day to see what's up!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I would say stick it out. Sprint is an excellent carrier, and I think (and hope like many other here) that CES will bring something new from HP Palm to all carriers (especially Sprint).
    Sprint may be an excellent carrier, but the experience of having bought their flagship device in 2009, which was a webOS device, is just horrible.

Is it worth it to wait again for another similar experience? Is there the least bit of hope that the experience would be different?

If the Pre 2 was exclusive to Verizon they'd be shouting it. It's not. Palm has told you to "go ask Sprint." That's just unacceptable.

We all heard about how Palm & Sprint had this great relationship. Whoever is at fault, it doesn't matter. The end result is that webOS customers on Sprint got screwed. We were led to believe that the Pre would just be first of many webOS devices. That updates would be timely.

Maybe the relationship suffered with the questionable hardware quality, but i really think it happened when Palm chose Verizon with an exclusive Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sprint may be an excellent carrier, but the experience of having bought their flagship device in 2009, which was a webOS device, is just horrible.

Is it worth it to wait again for another similar experience? Is there the least bit of hope that the experience would be different?

If the Pre 2 was exclusive to Verizon they'd be shouting it. It's not. Palm has told you to "go ask Sprint." That's just unacceptable.

We all heard about how Palm & Sprint had this great relationship. Whoever is at fault, it doesn't matter. The end result is that webOS customers on Sprint got screwed. We were led to believe that the Pre would just be first of many webOS devices. That updates would be timely.

Maybe the relationship suffered with the questionable hardware quality, but i really think it happened when Palm chose Verizon with an exclusive Pre Plus.
    Wait, don't wait. Doesn't matter. Don't make it into anything more than a business decision. Sprint doesn't see Pre2 as a big enough draw to make the investment and has two huge 4G devices that people want and they're banking on existing users making the platform switch and not switching to a different carrier just to stay with Palm. This long after the initial introduction of webOS, incremental upgrades just aren't enough and I'm sure the fear is that there will be a back stock of Pre2s and no way to unload them when the new big device DOES come out from Palm.
    I think it all depends on what you want.

I have been eligible for an upgrade since July. I tried to use the Evo, but realized that while I did like the hardware, I didn't like Android enough to keep it and thus I am back to my old Pre Classic.

I'd probably be happy with the Pre 2, but don't think I am ready to switch to a GSM carrier to buy an unlocked version. So. For now, I wait.

nnb
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Wait, don't wait. Doesn't matter. Don't make it into anything more than a business decision. Sprint doesn't see Pre2 as a big enough draw to make the investment and has two huge 4G devices that people want and they're banking on existing users making the platform switch and not switching to a different carrier just to stay with Palm. This long after the initial introduction of webOS, incremental upgrades just aren't enough and I'm sure the fear is that there will be a back stock of Pre2s and no way to unload them when the new big device DOES come out from Palm.
    I hope you're kidding. Sprint carries various phones at various price points. Sure, it has two 4G phones right now but i hardly doubt they're requiring all new phones or smartphones to be 4G ready.

Sprint doesn't think they could unload Pre 2's? Palm's biggest base lives on Sprint. Estimate demand and put in an order. It's not rocket science.

There's more going on than it simply being a business decision..IMO of course.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast