Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this is a low percentage question, but does anyone in the know have a timeline for the new release on Bell? I mean beside "in the coming months"?

While I am heartened by the fact that we received the last update ahead of most of North America, I am still wary of all things Bell and how the thinking (or lack there of ) goes on up in the evil lair of the decision makers.

What I 'm specifically concerned about is the lack of any announcement on the Pre 2. If Bell carries it, then they will surely hold back the update to release it as an exclusive on the new hardware (remember this is Bell).

I am even more concerned about it being released on another carrier. If Bell turns its back on HP/Palm, they will surely act as Bell often does, with a total lack of respect for an installed base under contract.

Thoughts? Speculation - Paranoid or fact based.... Sock it to me. I can take it.
    I have no idea lol. i'm not familiar with Bell, but the Canadian Pre2 will be GSM. Not sure which tech Bell uses...
    I'm Bell as well and have found we were always one of the firsts for EVERY update. Take a chill pill, and wait it out. Pre 2 is already confirmed for Rogers, and TBH I don't see them holding out the upgrade to 2.0 because of the new phone. I'm not sure how long you've had your phone,ive had mine since February, and I guess I'm just used to playing the waiting game, but glad it's no where near as bad as our Southern counterparts.

I have a side question, OP... How often are you eligible for an upgrade? I tried calling them yesterday and they couldn't give me a clear-cut, straightforward answer. They told me I had a $50 credit and that was it. No projection of when it will bump up or anything.
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/27/2010 at 08:13 AM.
    I tried pinging their online chat, they told me to call the support center.

Though I was just fooling around with their sales chat.

I also asked them about the Pre 2, they told me no info available.

As for Rogers getting Pre, it's not "confirmed", just my finding on their site.
    Also they started offering online chat for Mobility support:

Thank you for your patience an online representative will be with you shortly. Your wait time is approximately 0 minute(s).

Welcome to bell.ca! You are chatting with Margaret. To assist you, may I please have your name and mobile phone number with area code?

you: my phone number is 212-555-4567

you: would like to know if there is an ETA for webOS 2.0 for the Palm Pre

Margaret: Hello and welcome to Bell Mobility's chat service. How can I help you today?

Margaret: Let me take a look for you. Please hold while I retrieve your account.

Margaret: May I get your full name please.

you: Toni Cipriani

Margaret: Thanks Toni. I'm just searching for the information.

Margaret: Thanks for holding Toni. I don't have any updates of when the software download for OS2.0 will be available. You may wish to check on the Palm Pre web site.
  6.    #6  
    Bell has been fast with every upgrade so far as they had a stake in the Pre doing well when they were the exclusive carrier. My fear is that their pattern with this phone is smiliar to that of my last phone with them - the samsung instinct.
    They promoted it heavily as an iphone killer and were quick with updates untill they realized it wasn't and started dumping them with promo packages just like they are doing with the Pre. In fact they went so far as to cripple that phone's functionality like some american carrier is doing with the Pre.
    If this is your first experience with a Bell phone, then you will find, in time, that your experience with your upgrade question is no fluke - nobody really knows what the hard and fast rules are for billing,upgrades or anything at Bell. Even when someone gives you a definitive answer, you sign a contract and have everything spelled out in ink, you are still more likely than not going to find that these have very little bearing on what your bill will look like when you receive it. There are pages and pages of these experiences with Bell on forums elswhere and I won't bore you further with my own experience.
    I didn't care so much with my Samsung instinct as I only liked that phone. I LOVE THE PRE!!! So this time it's personal, I care.... and I'm afraid that Bell will disapoint.
    I want so badly to be wrong on this one.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

As for Rogers getting Pre, it's not "confirmed", just my finding on their site.
    Where did you find this (Rogers info)? That would be great news if it proved true -- certainly make my trip 'down the street' (vs. our adjacent country) easier when buying my next GSM WebOS phone.
  8.    #8  
    Toni,
    Is that number in your post a placeholder or a mistake? You may want to edit your post. Your frankenstein pre is not US based is it? Does it take updates differently being a hybrid and all?
    I've been with bell for years. The reason I was asking was, I guess in the USA, they can get a free upgrade every year, so long as they re-extend their contract. I know I don't live there and that it's fairly inconsequential to me, but it was relating to an exchange on a cross platform forum, and I guess my case/question was 'why people were so anxious for new hardware when the pre has only been out for just over a year and a half....even less in Canada..'. And most people I know sign a 3 year. Just goes to show you how badly we have it up here with regards to cell phones. It's no lie that we have one of the highest rates in the world, one of the worst cell phone monopolies in the world--you could even go so far to say that it's a racket. 3 different 'big 3' companies all equally ruthless.

I digress, I have faith we will get the update probably sooner than most.

and Toni... Your Bell interpretation is bang on the money from my previous inquiries to Bell when I used to call about 1.4.5 1.4.1.1 & 1.3.5
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Toni,
    Is that number in your post a placeholder or a mistake? You may want to edit your post. Your frankenstein pre is not US based is it? Does it take updates differently being a hybrid and all?
    Placeholder. Note it's a 555 number.

It's an actual live chat. I just edited out my name and number.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    Where did you find this (Rogers info)? That would be great news if it proved true -- certainly make my trip 'down the street' (vs. our adjacent country) easier when buying my next GSM WebOS phone.
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-2-headed-rogers-wireless

Actually for some reason I don't know why I used my real name there. But the PreCentral guys can confirm it's me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I've been with bell for years. The reason I was asking was, I guess in the USA, they can get a free upgrade every year, so long as they re-extend their contract. I know I don't live there and that it's fairly inconsequential to me, but it was relating to an exchange on a cross platform forum, and I guess my case/question was 'why people were so anxious for new hardware when the pre has only been out for just over a year and a half....even less in Canada..'. And most people I know sign a 3 year. Just goes to show you how badly we have it up here with regards to cell phones. It's no lie that we have one of the highest rates in the world, one of the worst cell phone monopolies in the world--you could even go so far to say that it's a racket. 3 different 'big 3' companies all equally ruthless.

I digress, I have faith we will get the update probably sooner than most.

and Toni... Your Bell interpretation is bang on the money from my previous inquiries to Bell when I used to call about 1.4.5 1.4.1.1 & 1.3.5
    Oligopoly... not monopoly since it's three evils, not one.
  13.    #13  
    HaHa Economics major ^^^^
    Actually I'm an Engineer...
  15.    #15  
    Sorry, I knew that. Didn't mean to downgrade your qualifications so far. Heh.. Heh..
  16.    #16  
    Back on the topic of the update, Does anyone else have the problem with the download not authenticating right away and taking multiple tries to get updates to work. Last time I doctored my phone, I had to update to 1.4.5. It took multiple tries to get it to work. Each time it took something like 8 -10 minutes to download and unpack over wifi and then it would fail the authentication step and I was back to step 1. Very frustrating and anoying.

Are their tricks to minimizing issues? I assume that it has something to do with corupted data on the download which is why I use wifi instead of OTA. Am I wrong?

Is there a reason why they can't make a version's doctor available day and date with the OTA update?
    Never had that problem really... updated my old Bell Pre to 1.4.5 and it went fine.

I doctored straight to 1.4.5 on my Pre Plus.
  18.    #18  
    Can't tell you how nervous I am that Rogers got the Pre 2.
    That's why I've been saying all along: carrier tie-ins and exclusivity deals are never a good thing.
  20.    #20  
    Toni,
    Do you think we'll be able to purchase the Rogers Pre2 off contract and use ecare to move our Bell service to it via sim swap? Will the resulting phone be able to use Rogers updates and Doctor versions?
    I'm sure we'll get 2.0 within a couple of months of Rogers releasing the Pre2 (hopefully sooner) but as Bell loses interest in us Pre minus owners, I'm sure we're in for a similiar situation to what they have in the states where one carrier releases updates in a timely fashion while the poor cousins (us) are left salivating and stewing.
    I know, I know, I'm being negative, I should take a chill pill. I just have no faith in Bell Mobility ( can you tell? )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast