Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have convinced two friends to go out and get their own Palm pres. Both are on Verizon. Both went to their local stores to purchase their phones - both were given advise to avoid the pre.

Friend 1 was told "That phone is way too complicated, you don't want to deal with it."

Friend 2 was told (just yesterday) "The pre is not very user friendly, I wouldn't get it if I were you." After he said he had seen it in action and it seemed very nice to him they said "Even still, its prone to freezing up - maybe you should get a Blackberry if you are in the market for a smartphone." I imagine that #2 was trying to upsell to a more expensive phone since the pre is only $50 on Verizon. But the question is...... why is this happening and what can be done to make sure that sales reps are more pre friendly? HP obviously needs a massive campaign within the retail sales outlets so that they can be more educated about the pre.

In the end, both friends got the pre - friend 1 absolutely loves it. Friend 2 gets his tomorrow.!
    Do yourself a favor and DON'T follow your friends.

And with the numerous Android phones on Verizon and Blackberries, I don't think the Pre did to well on Verizon.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkchomp View Post
    Do yourself a favor and DON'T follow your friends.
    What does this mean? Are you suggesting that I don't get a pre? I have had one since launch day. Actually my wife and I both bought one at launch day, we both still have them, and they both work fine. In fact, I am pleased enough with them to convince my friends to buy one. Friend #2 played with both my Palm pre and another co-workers Motorola Droid X for about 30 minutes each and decided that the pre was simply "slicker", "cooler", and "more intuitive". Plus, he really wanted a physical keyboard. We both agreed that the Droid had some pretty impressive hardware but he felt the webOS pros outweighed the Droid hardware pros.

As far as sales go, I am sure that the sales of other phones have been more profitable but they carry a ton of unprofitable (or marginally profitable) phones from lots of makers - this all boils down to not knowing anything about the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    A move to a provider forum? Seems a bit silly impetuous dontcha think? The topic really isn't about a specific provider, despite what the title insinuates. This is really about the broader question of how do we get carriers to show the pre some love?

If the title were changed to "How can HP get carriers to adequately support and promote the pre?" it would make all the difference in the world, eh? I guess I will be more careful of titles in the future.

I'm inclined to disagree. As a vzw customer myself, I understand where he's coming from. I've had my own problems with them, and the problems his two friends had were pretty consistent with the hundreds of posts about vzw holding back on selling the pre.

In addition to that, the gps issues are further proof of vz not caring about webos.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I'm inclined to disagree. As a vzw customer myself, I understand where he's coming from. I've had my own problems with them, and the problems his two friends had were pretty consistent with the hundreds of posts about vzw holding back on selling the pre.

In addition to that, the gps issues are further proof of vz not caring about webos.
    <<Comment deleted by Mod>>

I do agree about Vz not caring. Its horrible that the first thing they tell everyone is "its too hard".

BTW, since I am on Sprint I haven't kept up with the gps issues but now I have to help set up my friends' phone. Did Vz ever deal with the gps issue? If not, is there a workaround?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/19/2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: complaining about mods
    "Why does Verizon hate the pre?"

I don't think it made them a lot of money.
    I wouldn't recommend a Pre to my worst enemy or Al-Qaeda right now.
    I see what you did there. I, too, wouldn't recommend a Verizon Pre to Al-Qaeda right now as I understand they need GPS for what they're doing.

Maybe an iPhone would be best anyway since I hear you can use them to tap into specialized in-flight entertainment offers now.
    I have had a Verizon Pre Plus since launch day and have had no problems with it (other than the GPS issues – but that is another thread). I have convinced 4 associates to get Pre Pluses and all of them are very happy with the phones except for one who has an AT&T Pre Plus that has a problem with dropped calls.

At my local Verizon store the Technician carries a Pre Plus as her work and everyday phone and every time I see her she asks about how I like My Pre or tells me about a new patch or app. I have seen and heard the Verizon sales people talk down the Palm phones but think that it is just their way of selling their customers the “latest and greatest” phones which is typical of any salesman.

I have seen the same attitude at Best Buy, AT&T and Radio Shack so I feel there is a systemic problem with Palm not carrying a large enough market and not bringing out new hardware fast enough to satisfy the merchandisers. I don’t see this as a strictly Verizon problem.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend a Pre to my worst enemy or Al-Qaeda right now.
    I would agree. But, despite my own growing pains, my reasoning is more because the Pre is A) outdated and due to be replaced B) No longer in actual production and C) Has received precious little support from it's current provider (Verizon) since day 1.

A better title for such a current thread would be, "Why did Verizon EVER get the Pre, and Why are they getting the Pre 2?" It's official, in case you hadn't seen. It's starting out in France (not sure why, but maybe working the bugs out on the European market is a good idea), then coming to Verizon in the US. VERIZON! The company that ignored, neglected, discounted, and all but discontinued the Pre/Pixi Plus since day one. They company that has spent more time using the Palm line to steer folks towards other products, than they have selling it.

It's very insulting. Sprint has been so much more committed to Palm for so many years. They put so much of their resources into making the Pre their flagship phone. And they were rewarded with sub-par products to support, very limited supply, and, ultimately, a competitor who got a notable upgrade when the line came to them. Sprint gave their best and got kicked in the teeth. Verizon gave virtually nothing, and got rewarded. I would be willing to bet (based on wild speculation alone), that Sprint sold more Pre's and Pixi's than Verizon sold Plus models.

Verizon is probably the biggest reason that the Pre/Pixi never gained a foothold in the market. If you don't sell something, people don't buy it! And, now the company that completely failed the Pre/Pixi line, on so many levels, is back for more???!!!

Does HP actually WANT the Pre 2 to succeed? Or are they just paying lip-service so they can do what they have always wanted to do, cannibalize WebOS for yet another tablet that won't beat the iPad , and stick it in wireless printers that NO ONE CARES ABOUT!

I spent nearly 10 years in the IT industry, and I would love to spend just one year at HP, in charge of all of this. I promise, I could do better then the current guy is doing, and I would even do it for free to prove it!

p.s. this thread really needed to stay in the main Pre Forum.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I feel there is a systemic problem with Palm not carrying a large enough market and not bringing out new hardware fast enough to satisfy the merchandisers. I donít see this as a strictly Verizon problem.

Don't think Verizon hates the Pre, it's simply business, like not-yet-pre says above - Market share and new devices = more money. It's a bit of a Catch-22 I know, but money talks, and Palm has not been able to generate enough of it for Verizon.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Same here. I was told at a Verizon store that the Pre was buggy and crashed all the time. The sales person specifically told me NOT to get it. When I asked if I could at least see one she said they didn't have any, and would not get any more. She was kind of a drone, and to me, it seemed like she had been specifically instructed to tell people to avoid the device. Is there a kickback going on somewhere? Maybe with HTC?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Don't think Verizon hates the Pre, it's simply business, like not-yet-pre says above - Market share and new devices = more money. It's a bit of a Catch-22 I know, but money talks, and Palm has not been able to generate enough of it for Verizon.
    I see what you're saying, but that just doesn't make sense to me, the consumer. Selling a phone is selling a phone. They'll make money either way. The only two explanations I can think of are:

1) a direct kickback from a manufacturer (or from google) to the individual verizon stores
    2) Verizon doesn't really want to have to maintain another line of smart phones, so they're just hatcheting the one with the smallest market share.

Option 2 seems less compelling to me as Verizon has a long history of supporting many different lines of phones.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I have a feeling that HP/Palm is going to screw up their Pre2 sales again if they are going to be on VZW only. None of the VZW sales associate cares about webOS.

Only time will tell.
    I think we can forget about webOS after VZW buries it again. IT is very disappointing but such is life. I will get an Epic or EVO.
    I am again surprised Verizon and Palm released it the way they did. Most other manufacturers always have a teaser trailer/commercial about what's coming. Palm and Verizon continue to just drop press releases and send the phone to the stores. Do they really think that's going to get people's attention? I guess even Palm figures they don't have a "super" device to drop so they don't want to spend on the adverts. Who knows...
    Have to agree that releasing it on VZW, after their horrible record with the existing webOS stable, is a facepalm-worthy bonehead move. I bet HP looked at the carrier landscape and figured VZW, as biggest and baddest, was a no-brainer choice.

Maybe they think they can exert more pressure on Verizon to sell the Pre well than Palm could. I dunno.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I don't work for Verizon but most of my friends do. I know people at both the store and corporate level. This stuff intrigues me so I listen and offer my two cents all the time. This is what I have learned.

Its a lot simpler than you guys think. Its not some evil plot by Verizon corporate to kill Palm. Its the simple fact that the people that work at the store are absolutely sick of dealing with cell phones and their paychecks are all that matter. Sales Reps only care about selling as much as they can at the biggest margins they can. Most of them really don't care about Android/Blackberry/Palm or whatever. You should have heard how hard the reps fought selling the original Droid when it first arrived. They were so used to making money off Blackberries that the Sales Reps fought their managers tooth and nail about selling Droids. They are always afraid of selling untested and unproven devices because of "returns". Returns kill a Sales Reps numbers and nullifies their sales, thus nullifying their commission.

Android was obviously different. The Droid push was immense and the insane number of handsets introduced pretty much left the Reps with no choice but to sell these things. People were asking for them in droves.

This brings us to Palm....well need I say more? They wont sell these things...they aren't going to risk their paychecks on something they don't know or believe in. Until HP Palm blows the doors of the hinges with a device that gonna get people's attention (Pre 2 NOT IT) and they pay or convince VZW or some other carrier to advertise Palm the way Verizon advertised the Droid. This will not change.

The Pre 2 may not be DOA..but its sales will merely trickle.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    I don't work for Verizon but most of my friends do. I know people at both the store and corporate level. This stuff intrigues me so I listen and offer my two cents all the time. This is what I have learned.

Its a lot simpler than you guys think. Its not some evil plot by Verizon corporate to kill Palm. Its the simple fact that the people that work at the store are absolutely sick of dealing with cell phones and their paychecks are all that matter. Sales Reps only care about selling as much as they can at the biggest margins they can. Most of them really don't care about Android/Blackberry/Palm or whatever. You should have heard how hard the reps fought selling the original Droid when it first arrived. They were so used to making money off Blackberries that the Sales Reps fought their managers tooth and nail about selling Droids. They are always afraid of selling untested and unproven devices because of "returns". Returns kill a Sales Reps numbers and nullifies their sales, thus nullifying their commission.

Android was obviously different. The Droid push was immense and the insane number of handsets introduced pretty much left the Reps with no choice but to sell these things. People were asking for them in droves.

This brings us to Palm....well need I say more? They wont sell these things...they aren't going to risk their paychecks on something they don't know or believe in. Until HP Palm blows the doors of the hinges with a device that gonna get people's attention (Pre 2 NOT IT) and they pay or convince VZW or some other carrier to advertise Palm the way Verizon advertised the Droid. This will not change.

The Pre 2 may not be DOA..but its sales will merely trickle.
    So it's because they're lazy. Great.
    Agree with you 100%.

Trickle, fizzle, pop.

I really think the Pre2 will simply kill the product line, and possibly give HP the excuse to back out of the phone market. Period.

russ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast