Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by warlord9159 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint.com
    Last Updated: Oct 26, 2010
    If the device is covered by Total Equipment Protection (TEP) or the Equipment Service & Repair Program (ESRP), there is no charge for repairs caused by normal wear and tear or mechanical/electrical failure or physical damage.

If the device is covered by TEP and it has liquid damage or is damaged beyond repair, you'll need to file a claim and pay a non-refundable deductible for each approved claim, determined by the model of your device.

If the device is not covered by TEP, ERP or ESRP, you may have to pay a $35.00 fee per-incident to repair your device.

It doesn't seem to cover anything different. This is just an adjustment of costs associated with device replacement.

They have changed the price on devices that *ARE COVERED BY TEP*. My phone would still not "be covered by TEP" because of *ME* dropping it, and not a defect in design/manufacturing.

Right?

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    That's exactly what I'm trying to find out since *both* apply to my phone. Known hardware issue with the busted USB door and screen crack from there (sometime in the mid-spring), *AND* me dropping it in a Target parking lot (last X-Mas).

The Sprint Store by me won't take it because of the damage I did regardless of the hardware defect. I last took it to them in September.

M.
    well take it back again and see what they say . just go to a different person this time lol and if they say no , just bring up the new policy and see what happens . you cant lose !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    That's exactly what I'm trying to find out since *both* apply to my phone. Known hardware issue with the busted USB door and screen crack from there (sometime in the mid-spring), *AND* me dropping it in a Target parking lot (last X-Mas).

The Sprint Store by me won't take it because of the damage I did regardless of the hardware defect. I last took it to them in September.

M.

I'm only going to say this one final time, please read post #22.

As of 10/23/10, Physical Damage THAT YOU DID TO THE PHONE is now covered for free under TEP or $35 without TEP.

In Store Repair Solutions

YOUR making this waaaay more confusing than it has to be.

YES, PRIOR to 10/23/10, physical damage WAS NOT COVERED except with $100 deductable through TEP.... AS OF 10/23/10, physical damage is NOW COVERED at no charge with TEP, and $35 without TEP.

YES YOU CAN PHYSICALLY BEAT THE **** OUT OF YOUR PHONE AND NOW BE TAKEN CARE OF AT ANY SPRINT SERVICE AND REPAIR STORE.

The End ~
    Quote Originally Posted by theblizzard2009 View Post

As of 10/23/10, Physical Damage THAT YOU DID TO THE PHONE is now covered for free under TEP or $35 without TEP.

YES, PRIOR to 10/23/10, physical damage WAS NOT COVERED except with $100 deductable through TEP.... AS OF 10/23/10, physical damage is NOW COVERED at no charge with TEP, and $35 without TEP.

YES YOU CAN PHYSICALLY BEAT THE **** OUT OF YOUR PHONE AND NOW BE TAKEN CARE OF AT ANY SPRINT SERVICE AND REPAIR STORE.

The End ~
    Wow, now my TEP is actually worth it, considering I've never had to replace a phone. Thank you for clarifying.
    And just to be sure we're clear, everyone READ the above post

That's not the first time in my life I've heard that...

M.
    Update:

I just got back from the local Sprint Store. I now have a phone on order and will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon sometime.

The guy at the counter did give me the HUGE warning that if this phone is treating me well (which it has - it's a real tank!), that I should possibly just live with the cosmetic issues. It'll be a refurbished phone that I get, not a new one.

If the USB crack wasn't heading across my screen, I probably would just live with the cosmetic issues, but, I'm kinda being left with little choice.

So, two things:

• You can now indeed get your phone replaced for 100% free (if you're a TEP payer) even with user caused cosmetic issues.
    • You might get a stinking pile of manure in the deal. You won't know until you hand yours over!

Just thought I'd give everyone an update!

M.
    but if what they give you has any issues,then they will keep getting you another until it is right. Just went threw this with my kids pixie. 3rd one was the charm,so no worries
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    but if what they give you has any issues,then they will keep getting you another until it is right. Just went threw this with my kids pixie. 3rd one was the charm,so no worries

Indeed. I guess I should've stuck that in there. The guy at the store even told me that. If it's a bum phone, just bring it right on back. He said, though, that he's had one customer go through ELEVEN Pres in under 8 weeks...

:-\

It's not instilling much confidence in me...

M.
    some how I think the person going threw 11 pres in 1 week is the same person who will not open a door without wiping it clean first.,lol
    cool beans.
    just got back from sprint store and they ordered me a replacement phone.
    it will be in tomorrow.
    the phone has a busted screen due to damage by my son.
    the touch screen would not work.

TEP = replacement phone with damage that was done by you
    tep= totally worth the investment now.
    great to hear the new TEP success stories.

Remember WebOS doctor is your friend, I've been on a refurb for 13 months. A lot of ppl are swapping out the phone for simple software defects and just wasting there time, use the doctor, it really works.

plus, audio kits (speaker replacements) are now at your local sprint repair stores if needed for audio issues. No reason to swap a device that can be easily repaired. Just my 2 cents there. Keep a good phone going.

pre owner since launch day june 6th 2009, refurb 2 months later, and still kicking.
    Hey!

Back home with my replacement Pre. I secure wiped and ran the Doctor on my old one before giving it to them...

My "U" key is a little funky (it doesn't "click" like the keys are supposed to), but other than that, so far, so good. I got one of the newer models. That is evidenced by the silver paint on the button (not the unpainted pearl-ish plastic, and the slider feels different - stronger.

Preware is installing my saved package list as I type.

Before I left the store, I ran the Pre through the built-in tests.

Device Info --> App Menu --> Tests --> Quick Tests and Interactive Tests.

DO NOT LEAVE THE STORE WITHOUT RUNNING THESE TESTS to make sure that you REALLY want them to keep your old phone!

I said to the guy, "You don't mind if I hang out in the corner and run the phone through the built-in self tests before I walk out of here, do you?" (with a sheepish grin...). He just said to "Go right ahead!"

Anyway, so far, so good. I don't know the "Strength" of this Pre yet, I haven't rebooted for the UberKernel/Govnah install yet. I hope it's not a Nancy...

#################
    # EDIT - addition
    #

No, you do NOT get a new battery. They *only* replace the PHONE. No new USB cables, wall-warts, batteries, etc. Just the physical phone itself.

#################

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 11/09/2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typos...
    good for you xanadu,,and you are right on about the batterys. Good luck
    I got three battery's here after they sent me replacements and the sprint rep said to keep them.
    One time I got a USB cable and a Wall charger. they said to keep them too.
    Lucky me
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

Keep your old battery. Sprint tech support told me not to send it in.
    I did two this way with no charge on my bill over four months ago.

They are afraid that it might leak in the phone and damage it more or it
    could go KaBOOM!
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

Let me see if I have this right.

With TEP, I save $35 dollars if I get a damaged phone fixed. (which would be used up with 5 months of TEP payments.)

With TEP, if I lose phone or get it wet I pay $100 deductible (which would save me $50 over buying phone off Craig's list...about 8 months of TEP payments.)

It still sounds like TEP might not be a great deal unless you are type of person that breaks phone a few times a year.

The End ~
    Do you or anybody have a link or document from Sprint that confirms what "Damage Beyond Repair" is defined as? I'm trying to get a repair or replacement done on my fiance's launch day Pre that just got a jammed slider (otherwise fully functional), and two stores I've gone to so far have pulled the whole excuse that they consider the issue to be "Damaged Beyond Repair" so we'd be stuck with the $100 TEP deductible still. Are you kidding me? A stuck slider? Unreal. Talk about arguing with a brick wall.

I've seen this quote on a few other sites that seems to define "Damage Beyond Repair" under this new policy:

["...damaged beyond repair devices such as ones with a damaged circuit board, liquid damage/corrosion, or a smashed device in 3 or more pieces."] (Clearly NOT the case here.)

Unfortunately, I just can't locate the official source to back that up. I would be hugely grateful for any help.

Without proof in hand, I feel like all these places are going to start trotting out their own loose/arbitrary interpretation of "damage beyond repair" as the ultimate loophole excuse to get out of any repair now.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    My bluetooth and wireless quit working on my Sprint Palm Pre a few days ago. I have had the device since January. I did not have TEP! My Pre clearly had external scratches and fell down few times since January. Who knows..the two might be unrelated but unlikely.

Sprint said "We will get you a refurb but you have to pay $35"
    I said "Gladly".

New refurb pre works great....even overclocks better and is snappier than my last one with the same setup and patches.

I totally expected them to tell me " You are SOL" and was prepared to go scour ebay.

I now have TEP on my refurb and will keep it for 5 months(another $35) in case something goes wrong. Its will be a was if i have to get it replaced once in that five months. Hopefully something new comes out by then.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast