1.    #1  
    Interesting read.
    http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/simultaneous-voice-data-coming-to-cdma
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Yes it is interesting, but it wouldn't make too much sense for a US carrier to adopt that technology at this time. Of course, I'm thinking like an armchair CEO when I say the following:

If current EVDO handsets were already capable of taking advantage of SVDO, then it would be worth it, but because they're not, the carriers will have to stock new compatible handsets that people would pass over for 4G handsets. Both CDMA carriers in the US are now focusing on their 4G networks which already provide simultaneous voice and data. Yes I know that their EVDO networks would provide backup, but I don't think simultaneous voice & data would not only be acritical in a backup situation, but would also compete with their own 4G network.

As the article mentions, in areas where a carrier has both 3G and 4G coverage, a compatible handset can use voice on the 3G network while simultaneously using data on the 4G (which I believe Sprint is going to do if it hasn't already done so). I'll take a guess that if a future Palm device can work on both 3G/4G, it will already be able to do voice and data with Sprint depending on where you are on their map.

I just don't see the need to upgrade their 3G networks, although I'm no expert.
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/09/2010 at 11:34 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    The only (and I mean ONLY) thing I miss about AT&T.
    Yeah, 4G will fix this, so I don't see any reason to push for SVDO. Once 4G is everywhere, it will be a non-issue.
    Yeah it kind of kills some aspects of the great multitasking of webos. I really could of used it when my ex-girlfriend would call me and want to have the long boring conversations about nothing; and i just wanted to do occupy myself consuming data.
    Doubt Sprint will go for this since they're already pushing towards WiMax for data anyway.

Not sure why they stuck with EVDO and not EVDV (which was the original plan, if I remember correctly) which would've allowed simulataneous voice and data a long time ago though.

But for Verizon users, it could be a big benefit.
  7.    #7  
    more on this.

Verizon: Expect 3G Devices for Another Decade Verizon: Expect 3G Devices for Another Decade
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Yeah, 4G will fix this, so I don't see any reason to push for SVDO. Once 4G is everywhere, it will be a non-issue.
    Actually it will only be a non-issue if you have a huge battery since 4G is a larger power drain on your device if you the 4G radio on all the time.