webOS Nation Forums >  Carrier Discussion >  North American Carriers (CDMA) > Sprint is hosing me, four bad refurb phones in last week, any ideas?
Sprint is hosing me, four bad refurb phones in last week, any ideas?

Old 10/08/2010, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi,

I have a palm pre and i love it. i recently had the screen crack on me by the Jewell button. I returned it and they gave me a refrub one. The refurb one had a bad pixle but sprint said it dosent effect the use of the phone so they wont replace it, ok no big deal. the wifi and blue tooth only work within 6 inches of a router of bluetooth. I took it back and they gave me another refurb palm. within about 4 hours the power button popped off and i was unable to get it back on. Took it back in and waited an hour and it was fixed. Well the screen cracked on that one as well, took it back in (in less than a 4 day window) and they said they said to come back in an hour, i called an hour later and they said since the phone wasn't currently activated they could not do a work order request. I had them activate it over the phone and called back an hour later. They said the phone was ready for pick up. I went to pick the phone up and they again said they phone was not activated and the guy reactivated my phone in front of me and said once its checked in i can use my back up phone for the time being. I waited until they closed to activate my backup phone just in case. Today i called them and they told me it was not activated and after hanging up on me two times i finally talked to the tech. He said the palms they are hard to come by, I asked him to call some other stores to see if they had any. At this point i have not had my palm for about 4 days because it has been in and out of the repair center. He said a customer didn't pick up a palm and i could come down and get it. So i drove down and they gave me a new one. As i was loging it on i noticed a dead pixle. As it was syncing with my account the wifi and bluetooth did not work. low and behold it was the exact same one i returned and they replaced #2 phone. The tech said i wasent reg wifi because it was syncing. I waited for it to sync and no signal. By that time the tech already left and the sprint employee said, well you really dont need wifi. You can call him in the morning and tell him what happened.

Here's the deal, i am soo <angry> at sprint for the crappy service it seens like no one the store has any pull. I mean i am paying for a premium phone service and i can barley use it. I have heard a lemon law protects cell phones as well. Should i file a complaint with the BBB or who should i contact so i dont get more <angry> telling my story 100 times to people on the phone. I am in San Diego, any good contacts? or what i should ask for/expect for all of my time and lack of use? Any help would be great!

~Scott

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/19/2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: updated title - language
landslide03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2010, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

just how do the screens 'just crack'? Just curious. I want to know what not not to do.
zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2010, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

stop dealing with your local stores call spints toll free number make your claim over the phone with the proper dept and the will send (mail) you a replacement pre and while you wait the 2 days for it to arrive you can use your backup phone... I've always made my replace claims over the phone with sprint because the stores are only interested in helping you when you can buy something
broy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2010, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

my sprint store was great when my usb door broke,they gave me a refurbished pre, but when it kept freezing during initial provisioning,they just grabbed me a new pre and entered some code in their system to explain why a refurbished pre wasn't working
BS Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2010, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wait..they replaced your phone because the USB door broke?????? As in that little cheapie plastic thing that breaks on most phones when you don't have a touchstone pad???
starbuckk is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: verwon
Old 10/19/2010, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

My son has gone through 4 phones. I have gone through two. I am losing faith in Palm. His first phone lasted one day before black screening. The replacement worked a few months before the keyboard didn't work. The replacement had a bad touchscreen...we never got out of the store. Phone number 4 lasted a month before the screws fell out and the slider came apart. The rep "fixed it" but now there is almost no WIFI signal. I suspect somehow the antenna came loose...either when it fell apart or it was caused by the repair. It is getting a bit frustrating!
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2010, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Tell em you want a Pre 2..lol
cardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2010, 05:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

So, your complaint with Sprint is that they chose to carry such a shotty product...?

I went through 12 pres when I had the pre over a one year period., it's not Sprints fault.

You need to redirect your anger. This is why Sprint doesn't want to carry the palm pre 2.

It's not Sprint's fault that the Pre is made with inferior parts.

I dont understand how someone can have that experience and blame sprint and not the maker of the phone but that's what everyone does.

I would call sprint *2 and tell them you're sick of this inferior phone made of crap and that you would like to know how you can go about getting an EVO or epic.

Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/22/2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Mattykinsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2010, 07:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landslide03 View Post
Hi,

I have a palm pre and i love it. i recently had the screen crack on me by the Jewell button. I returned it and they gave me a refrub one. The refurb one had a bad pixle but sprint said it dosent effect the use of the phone so they wont replace it, ok no big deal. the wifi and blue tooth only work within 6 inches of a router of bluetooth. I took it back and they gave me another refurb palm. within about 4 hours the power button popped off and i was unable to get it back on. Took it back in and waited an hour and it was fixed. Well the screen cracked on that one as well, took it back in (in less than a 4 day window) and they said they said to come back in an hour, i called an hour later and they said since the phone wasn't currently activated they could not do a work order request. I had them activate it over the phone and called back an hour later. They said the phone was ready for pick up. I went to pick the phone up and they again said they phone was not activated and the guy reactivated my phone in front of me and said once its checked in i can use my back up phone for the time being. I waited until they closed to activate my backup phone just in case. Today i called them and they told me it was not activated and after hanging up on me two times i finally talked to the tech. He said the palms they are hard to come by, I asked him to call some other stores to see if they had any. At this point i have not had my palm for about 4 days because it has been in and out of the repair center. He said a customer didn't pick up a palm and i could come down and get it. So i drove down and they gave me a new one. As i was loging it on i noticed a dead pixle. As it was syncing with my account the wifi and bluetooth did not work. low and behold it was the exact same one i returned and they replaced #2 phone. The tech said i wasent reg wifi because it was syncing. I waited for it to sync and no signal. By that time the tech already left and the sprint employee said, well you really dont need wifi. You can call him in the morning and tell him what happened.

Here's the deal, i am soo <angry> at sprint for the crappy service it seens like no one the store has any pull. I mean i am paying for a premium phone service and i can barley use it. I have heard a lemon law protects cell phones as well. Should i file a complaint with the BBB or who should i contact so i dont get more <angry> telling my story 100 times to people on the phone. I am in San Diego, any good contacts? or what i should ask for/expect for all of my time and lack of use? Any help would be great!

~Scott
Everything you said had happened to me in similar fashion. I was on my fifth Palm Pre, and to all the refurbs were messed up. Your best bet is to either call Sprint or Palm directly or honestly file a small claims suit against both of them, and tell them of your issue.
ashakouri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2010, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
Everything you said had happened to me in similar fashion. I was on my fifth Palm Pre, and to all the refurbs were messed up. Your best bet is to either call Sprint or Palm directly or honestly file a small claims suit against both of them, and tell them of your issue.
Again, you reinforce everything I have said about why Sprint doesn't want to carry the Pre 2 [at least at first].

It's NOT Sprint's fault that the Pre is garbage from a quality perspective.
Old 10/22/2010, 01:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think everyone should just stop blaming hardware problems for whats really an inability to take care of something (the exception being the oreo effect for the most part).

I got a Pre on launch day and the only times I've needed a replacement (twice) were as a result of my carelessness.
nbmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2010, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
I think everyone should just stop blaming hardware problems for whats really an inability to take care of something
I'm sorry to tell you this but, when it comes to the original Pre, that is an absolutely ridiculous comment.

I went through 12 Pre's in the 12 months I had the phone.

I will repeat that. I had the phone 12 months and I had to get 12 replacements in that time period. Not one every month, but it averaged out that way.

Previous to that, having had phones for 8 years before the Pre mind you, I had NEVER had to use my replacement program more than twice. [AND THAT WAS BACK WHEN I HAD A PHONE FOR TWO YEARS MINIMUM due to Sprint Premier customer benefits not existing.]

Only one of my Pre replacements was due to water damage which, I admit, was my own fault. [Well actually my friends' fault but the point is not Palms]

My mom has used my 12th replacement for 2 months now.
This woman has never in the 8 - 10 years she's had Sprint used the replacement system.
She has never dropped a phone, period.

Do you want me to show you her Pre? No, you don't. Because you will see that there are 3 "stress fractures" that ,very very soon, will result in a good 25% of the plastic area of the phone to break off.

It is, in NO WAY, a phone abuse issue.
Old 11/09/2010, 09:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

My company got Palm Pres as company phones (because I like Palms and I was the decision maker) then I spent thousands of dolloars replacing the Pres out with Blackberrys. I still own the only working Palm Pre at my company (I still love Palms), but my Pre looks like a piece of crap. It has cracks everywhere. My usb door has fallen off within 2 months of having the phone. My phone randomly reboots itself. (I assume there is something wrong with the battery contact or something.) When it works, though, I love it. It's small and does what I want it to do.

I am holding out for Pre 2 to come to Sprint. We'll see if it ever gets there. Otherwise, I will have to bite the bullet and go to Blackberrys like the rest of my company. (We already invested money in the Blackberry Server, too.)

I have been a loyal Palm user since my college days. I hope they make a strong come back with HP's backing.
jychung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2010, 11:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
I think everyone should just stop blaming hardware problems for whats really an inability to take care of something (the exception being the oreo effect for the most part).

I got a Pre on launch day and the only times I've needed a replacement (twice) were as a result of my carelessness.
My son is on his 6th phone. A couple of them didn't last a week. This one arrived with a non functional volume switch. What is particularly bothersome, is the quality of the replacement units. Three of them had defects out of the box and one failed in a day.

I'm on my 2nd Pre which has a cooling problem. If I have it hooked up to power while using the GPS it overheats and shuts down. Sometimes it does it, even when not hooked to power. It makes the GPS much less useful...only good for short stints, in cool weather.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2010, 12:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
Wait..they replaced your phone because the USB door broke?????? As in that little cheapie plastic thing that breaks on most phones when you don't have a touchstone pad???

exactly...that was something so minor. Mines broke jus recently but I don't mind :O Had the pre within it's first week of release. Got only one replacement to this point that was due to the screen being unresponsive. Since I got my replacement, 5 months ago, minor things started happening to it, e.i. battery door got weak, power/volume buttons doesn't click, slider oreo makes my screen unresponsive sometimes, last but not less.....USB DOOR! I don't mind keeping it cuz it al about webOS and not the phone. Really foolish to be such a baby about something to minor
I have a strong feeling sprint wil have the next best webOS phone
jyaden24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2010, 01:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
Yeah, that's a wow! I bought my Pre used, from Ebay and that little plastic thing broke loose in a few days. For awhile, I still had it on my Pre, but one day it disappeared, must have fallen off somewhere and I really don't care. It was annoying, anyway.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0