1.    #1  
    So, we are considering getting a phone for our oldest daughter for Christmas.....my husband works with someone that has a Palm Pre that he no longer uses, that he said we could have (still not sure what he'd want for it though).....but it's been a few weeks now, and he can't find it, so I'm starting to lose hope on that.

We got our phones about 1 year ago now, so my husband could get the upgrade, but does that mean his line would have to renew for 2 years (so his contract would end in 2012, mine in 2011?)....we don't want to sign a 2 year contract for our daughter, since that would put hers into 2012, and ours in 2011, we'd like for the contract terms to end about the same time, so if we want to switch next year, we could......so we thought if we got her a used phone, we could just add her line without having to put her on a 2 year contract.

Hope all that made sense (if my husband could upgrade and not extend his contract until 2012, then I'd have him just get a new Palm Pre phone for himself, and have him give our daughter his phone, but I'm thinking he would have to extend his contract which we don't want to do)
  2.    #2  
    Thanks, sorry that was so confusing.....but yeah, that's what I had figured it was......I don't mind signing 2 year contracts, but I want all the phones to be done with the contracts at the same time so that if there's a better deal somewhere else, we can switch....

so looks like we'll hold out for my husbands coworker to hopefully find the phone, or else start checking Craigslist for one that we don't have to sign a 2 year contract for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm-a-PREciation View Post
    so looks like we'll hold out for my husbands coworker to hopefully find the phone, or else start checking Craigslist for one that we don't have to sign a 2 year contract for.
    You're welcome, if you don't want to be hooked with another 2yr contract, then craigslist would be your other option.

Take Care.~
    The contracts will only differ if each phone is on it's own plan. If it's a family plan, with multiple lines, then it's just all under one contract.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    The contracts will only differ if each phone is on it's own plan. If it's a family plan, with multiple lines, then it's just all under one contract.
    Not true...If I were to take my wife's phone and upgrade it, it would extend her out to 2 years. They make it that way so if you would like to split off the lines later you can. So though it is a family plan, each line is still treated as separate - at least every Sprint employee has always told me that. So the only downside is that you have to share the pool of minutes.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Not true...If I were to take my wife's phone and upgrade it, it would extend her out to 2 years. They make it that way so if you would like to split off the lines later you can. So though it is a family plan, each line is still treated as separate - at least every Sprint employee has always told me that. So the only downside is that you have to share the pool of minutes.
    Yeah, that's how I understood it as well, my sister in law has her 2 kids added onto hers (I'm assuming as a family plan), and they all have phones that the contracts come up at different times.....

I don't want to deal with that, we've been very happy with Sprint, but I want us all to be on the same contract end time so that we have the option of going elsewhere if the rates are better somewhere else (so far it's been hard to beat Sprint's pricing, but who knows what the rates will be like another year down the road)