Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    verizon confirms future 3G data plans will be tiered, sans unlimited.

No definite word on what the price points will be, save that it probably will be different than AT&T's.

Don't know if they will allow unlimited plans to grandfather in.
    Last edited by aapold; 05/19/2011 at 08:22 PM.
    they will never force you into a new plan, so nurse your pre to last as long as possible. When you trade up, they will snag you.
    I don't know about Verizon, I've been with AT&T since they went to tiered plans - I had a BB before the change and went over to a Palm Pre + after the change, but I was able to keep my unlimited data plan throughout it all. When I called customer service about another billing issue after I had switched to the Pre, I asked them about the data plan - mine had changed from a "BBUNL" plan to something else (can't think of the name), but it didn't have a amount associated with it. They said so long as I stayed with a smartphone, I'd get to keep my unlimited plan (it just has a different name since I don't have a BB anymore), but if I go to a 'normal' phone, that's when I'd have to pick a tiered plan. Considering I use wifi most of the time, it would probably be cheaper for me to go to the tiered plan...
    Data caps have been open secret in the industry so this attempt at transparency is sort of welcome. My problem with the Telcos is the fact that although you pay for a product sometimes you do not receive said product. An example of this is tethering. If you are going to introduce data caps than the data that I pay should be used as I see fit. Thus no more fees to charge for tethering or extra for GPS or what have you. This is like paying for cable internet and getting charged extra to route the same connection over WiFi. Verizon and their ilk complain about data usage growing exponentially to the point where they are overwhelming their networks, ATT, so why don't they stop charging for caped data monthly, use it or loose it, and instead let you buy data only when you need it. The FTC needs to step in and provide some competition because the market is not working in this case.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The worst part to me is just yesterday, sprints CEO said if people keep treating us like an all you can eat buffet, we will have to put a limit in place because of demand. At least he said nothing of this tiered crap, I can handle a limit.

Side note, three days into my new cycle and I've already used 1GB.....doh!
    What are you people doing to use so much data so fast?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Youtube, online games, and web is all I've been using for the last three days.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Some people tether and use that for their home internet on laptops or even PCs...
    Please. No data caps!!!!
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    I guess this will really suck for those who live on their phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    they will never force you into a new plan, so nurse your pre to last as long as possible. When you trade up, they will snag you.
    Exactly... to do so would be changing the original contract agreement and therefore allow you to break the contract with no ETF (early termination fee). To keep from losing you, they'd just "grandfather" your unlimited data plan and let you keep it.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    This was a certainty a long time ago. Only question was 'When?' I am only surprised it hasn't happened sooner. It does tie in nicely with the anticipated explosion in consumer smartphone use though.
    VZW has always had the 5GB clause in their "unlimited" data plans, as a tool to shut down the worst offenders. They have all kinds of gotchas in their ToS that they can whip out any time a person is using more service than VZW would like.

For example, if you use your VZW device to check corporate email--regardless the method--but you aren't paying the extra $15 for the $45 corporate email and data plan, you are technically in violation of your terms of service. I'm sure many, many people check corporate email without paying for this plan without any issues, but still, VZW has it there waiting in the wings just in case they feel the need to use it.

These gotchas and their higher prices overall are a good reason to move to Sprint. And if Sprint is considering data caps too, I'd move to them before they kick in. At least they don't have any bear traps in their ToS.
    I don't believe that the corporate email thing is a "gotcha" so much as it is a direct interface limitation for some of the corporate email systems such as Blackberry Enterprise and Good.

But anyways looks like Verizon is keeping the unlimited 3G data option: Verizon's tiered data plans hitting October 28, smartphones still getting unlimited option? -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Some people tether and use that for their home internet on laptops or even PCs...

+1

i teather all the time... im a network admin and when im on-call its much faster to just tether with my vzw pre+ than it is to whip out the vzw card from the lt bag and wait for it to connect..

i would be heavily impacted if anything happened to my pre and i had to get snarred in a new data plan with a 3g cap..... **tsk tsk tsk verizon**
    Just so everyone understands this..

This bull**** that people abuse the amount of data they use is just an excuse to charge more for the same product.

Every single person I know has a cell phone with a data plan and not ONE person I know uses more than I do and that's not much.

Were all 19 to 26 years of age.

It's all a con to charge more and its pathetic.
    Actually it looks like they're keeping unlimited (at same price even), but adding lower cost limited plans as an option.

Verizon to Launch Tiered Data Plans October 28th | webOSroundup
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Actually it looks like they're keeping unlimited (at same price even), but adding lower cost limited plans as an option.

Verizon to Launch Tiered Data Plans October 28th | webOSroundup
    its a step by step process eventually they'll claim the unlimited plan is leading to abuse or what have you and they'll eliminate it. ATT already did.
    FWIW, an article @ engadget says that unlimited will remain, but there will be a lesser option as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    its a step by step process eventually they'll claim the unlimited plan is leading to abuse or what have you and they'll eliminate it. ATT already did.
    Sorry for wasting your time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast