View Poll Results: How much cellular data do you TYPICALLY use?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Data? I'm too busy talking/texting.

2 2.13%
  • Less than 1 Gigabyte.

33 35.11%
  • 1 Gigabyte +

27 28.72%
  • 2 Gigabyte +

16 17.02%
  • 3 Gigabyte +

4 4.26%
  • 4 Gigabyte +

3 3.19%
  • 5 Gigabyte +

8 8.51%
  • Uhmm, how about an announcement PAAAAALM!!!!!!!!!

13 13.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    After reading the article about Sprint and Unlimited Data, I started to wonder about the amount of data that I use on my device. I went through my bills since June of 2009 and it turns out that I average between 2 to 3 gigs a month with the occasional peak pass 3 gigs. The biggest culprit I believe, as far as my data usage goes, is Pandora, which I use regularly. I do a lot of web browsing as well. My girl averages about 1/2 of a gig with a mix of Facebook, Pandora, and Picture-Messaging, otherwise she's too busy text-messaging.

Then I started to wonder how much I can minimize my cellular data usage for no reason other then to satisfy my curiosity:

• I have WiFi at home so I leave my Pre's WiFi on and set the sleep mode to keep it on (after 1.4.5, my battery life has improved this way).
    • My ISP gives me free access to their WiFi Hotspots (although I rarely have an opportunity to use them).
    • Many of my friends let me piggy back onto their WiFi when I'm visiting (primarily because I helped them set it up ).
    • I just recently connected my WD TV Live to my network, so I can use that for Pandora when at home (the sound quality is noticeably better than from my Pre), and occasionally YouTube.
    • I'm starting to use my desktop more. It has a larger screen, better web browser and better keyboard.

Of course, 3 out of those 5 points go out the window as soon I leave the driveway, hence the term "mobile phone", but there are many opportunities to minimize cellular data usage at home.

I'm not trying to advocate anything by this post; I was just curious as to how much data us PreCentral folks typically use. That being said, I'm sure people will have their opinions about:

1. how much data is considered too much by a carrier? By you? What do you consider reasonable?
    2. any other suggestions on minimizing cellular data usage.
    3. should we try to minimize cellular data usage when alternatives are available (WiFi)?
    4. the few ruining it for the many with exorbitant data usage resulting in a tiered data plan.

Feel free to opine.

P.S. I'll be posting my usage in about a month's time to see how much less data I used.
    Last edited by RafRol; 09/24/2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Personal data usage correction, I'm using more than I thought!
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Cellular data is only about 350 Mb but that is because everywhere I go I usually have wireless. I am actually surprised that it uses 350 Mbs
    sorry,but my pre is my only internet access, so I use a lot. could not justify paying 2 monthly data plans (dsl + sprint) so canned att completely. All wifi in my area is locked down.
    A little over 800 MB for last months data usage. Unlimited is what I have with Verizon.

I do not know what Verizon considers too much. I think 2 - 3 gigs in a months time would be a lot for me, but not too much for a customer paying for unlimited regardless.

I'm content with using my data connection over Wifi, the main reason being the time it takes me to turn on my wifi and connect, I could have already done what I was trying to do on 3G.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    A LOT less than 1 GB. I have unlimited Verizon, and I use no more than 400 MB a month, often a lot less. Most of that usage is probably for email, some for videos (youtube, vimeo), and a small amount for general web browsing. I'm usually in range of WiFi, and since that uses so much less battery than 3G, I make sure to always connect to whatever hotspot I'm near.
    Normally between 1-2GB for me. Less than 1 for the wife.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I have averaged 1.16 GB over the last 4 months. I was surprised it was that low. I guess I use WIFI more than I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottw911 View Post
    I have averaged 1.16 GB over the last 4 months. I was surprised it was that low. I guess I use WIFI more than I thought.
    same here. I used a ton during the World Cup but most of that was on WiFi. I would stream it while...uuuhh..driving...and hit about 1.7 GB for that month. I gather most of my usage is over WiFi.

Makes the 3G-only Pixi seem like a dumb idea, Sprint.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 09/24/2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Cellular data is only about 350 Mb but that is because everywhere I go I usually have wireless. I am actually surprised that it uses 350 Mbs
    Same here. Almost all of my data usage is over wifi. My total cellular data usage is probably less than 200MB/month on average. However, my overall data usage is probably in the 1-3GB/month range. So if my carrier went to a metered plan, I'd consider a basic plan at 2-3GB/month to be fair. But I'm far from a power user (relatively little streaming content, just occasional Pandora/YouTube. Almost no Sprint TV). I think the key to a metered plan would be a reasonable rate for additional data usage beyond what you've purchased in your plan. Maybe $3/GB for the first 5 additional GB, then $2/GB after that.
    Proud Pre Early Adopter
    My wallpapers
    Try my SteamPunk'd Theme!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I am usually less than 1 GB because of wireless but if I stream a lot of Slacker at work then I will run over 1. Wife runs about 250-400 MB. If I was in wifi range at work I imagine I would consistently be below 750 MB.

I think if wifi is available you should use it for no reason other than speed.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I agree with WiFi typically being faster (unless you have a mediocre DSL ISP). I would also add that you may also improve your battery life.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by garos09 View Post
    sorry,but my pre is my only internet access, so I use a lot. could not justify paying 2 monthly data plans (dsl + sprint) so canned att completely. All wifi in my area is locked down.
    You'll be able to justify it when Sprint cuts their Unlimited Data plan and starts charging you for all that data you're using. You're the reason this is going to happen. You should be ashamed and burned at the stake.
    I hadn't thought about this since Verizon has the unlimited (at least for now) plan. Well I checked and since I started with the Pre in April I have been trending upward so that last month I was at 2.2 gb. I guess this is from my long commute to and from work when I am listening to Pandora or Radio time. When ever possible I hook up to wifi, buit other than at home its spotty.
    I bought the pre with sprints data plan, no shame here. They did throtlle me 1 month for about a week because I went over 5gig, I can accept that. Judge not others, only judge yourself.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    They did throtlle me 1 month for about a week because I went over 5gig, I can accept that.
    Can you define 'throttle'? Not that I'm approaching 5GB. Just curious :P
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I bought the pre with sprints data plan, no shame here. They did throtlle me 1 month for about a week because I went over 5gig, I can accept that. Judge not others, only judge yourself.
    I was under the impression that Sprint only throttles bandwidth on unlimited data plans for their data cards and tethering options, no?
    well for last week of that months billling use all data use was very slow and phone went to 1x connection only when using data. Checked with sprint for possible tower issues then,none. Sooo,wouldnt directly tell me I was throttled. After new billing cycle started all back to normal,no 1x, no slow down,thats my conclusion. Have kept under 5gig month since.
    After looking at the current poll results, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that uses lsss than a gig of data/month. A LOT less actually...I only used like 16MB last month! Must be where I use wifi at home and at work. I currently pay $30/month for unlimited data...I wonder if I should go to the tiered usage and get a plan that costs less?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riona View Post
    After looking at the current poll results, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that uses lsss than a gig of data/month. A LOT less actually...I only used like 16MB last month! Must be where I use wifi at home and at work. I currently pay $30/month for unlimited data...I wonder if I should go to the tiered usage and get a plan that costs less?
    I'm surprised that the majority in the poll are under 2 gigabytes! A tiered plan may be of benefit to most of them. Not surprising is that no one has voted for no data... but you come close!
    Just looked at my last bill...5.73gb!!!...I am w/Sprint btw...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast