Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I am due for an upgrade on my Verizon wireless phone. I was thinking of getting a Palm Pre Plus and using it as a "modem" for my laptop and ipod touch at home.

    Is the hotspot still free through Verizon? I would get rid of my WildBlue internet satellite and save $52.20 a month on that. I would have to pay the $29.99 data package a month to Verizon. I would still save $22.21 a month by making the change.

    I just hope that the Palm will get a signal at my house in the country. I have a decent signal with my Samsung MyShot right now.

    Does anyone see any flaws in my plan?
  2. #2  
    yep, still free. limited to 5gb of monthly throughput for MHS traffic (phone itself is unlimited).
  3.    #3  
    Is 5 GB enough for casually surfing, maybe sending an email or two a day?
  4. ggendel's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    #4  
    This comes in real handy sometimes when the small screen is just not good enough or I need to run an app that doesn't exist on the Pre.
  5. #5  
    possible flaws:

    • using the phone suspends the internet connection.
    • no internet connection at home when you take your phone with you
    • limited speed. I get about 1.2MB down, and about 384k up. Enough for casual use, but much lower bandwidth than most broadband connections such as DSL or Cable. How fast is your current WildBlue connection?
    • limited to 5gb. depending on your usage, this could be an issue. I work from home so I would crush this limit. I would probably also crush it with the amount of time I spend on PreCentral.net and Hulu.com


    does anyone else need the internet while you are gone or on the phone? are you a heavy user of internet media? if not, this might be great for you.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/23/2010 at 09:47 AM.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by boddah4 View Post
    Is 5 GB enough for casually surfing, maybe sending an email or two a day?
    Maybe. Hard to tell. Remember that Windows updates are downloaded to your PC every week.

    I would suggest that you try it. Turn off your current broadband modem so you don't accidentally connect. plug your Pre+ into the charger (cuz this will really pound your battery) and use MHS for a couple of days. Then check your usage on your account page at the VZW website.

    That will give you a sense of usage.

    One other thought. The browser is so good on webOS that I find myself using the phone instead of a PC for much of my surfing and e-mail at home. There is no usage limit on this type of traffic, and it's pretty fast.

    It is very convenient because it is instantly on, fits in my pocket, etc. I find myself using my netbook much less except when I'm in my office working, or need to be doing spreadsheets and things that require a big display.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    possible flaws:

    • using the phone suspends the internet connection.
    • no internet connection at home when you take your phone with you
    • limited speed. I get about 1.2MB down, and about 384k up. Enough for casual use, but much lower bandwidth than most broadband connections such as DSL or Cable. How fast is your current WildBlue connection?
    • limited to 5gb. depending on your usage, this could be an issue. I work from home so I would crush this limit. I would probably also crush it with the amount of time I spend on PreCentral.net and Hulu.com


    does anyone else need the internet while you are gone or on the phone? are you a heavy user of internet media? if not, this might be great for you.
    Not fast at all! I don't have a Pre yet, but I would unplug the WildBlue and see how fast and reliable the Pre would be before I permanently disconnected the WildBlue. If it doesn't even work at my house because of a poor signal I could always return it.
  8. #8  
    sounds like you live in the wilderness. do you have alternatives to Verizon, such as Sprint/Clear? The only way to get a faster connection that the current 3g providers would be if you can get access to the Sprint/Clear WiMax network.

    If you are in the boondocks that isn't likely. Can you get DSL or cable where you are?

    you are smart to test this all out during your 30 day return period. just be sure to check your MHS usage every few days to stay away from that 5gb cap. It's expensive to exceed that. IMHO Verizon shouldn't charge for overages unless they also offer the choice of being throttled down instead of charging you. I think t-mobile does that, or it might be sprint. I'm on VZW and the MHS is perfect when I travel.
  9.    #9  
    Not really in the boondocks, but not an urban area by any means. DSL and cable are not available to us, that is why we use the WildBlue.

    My wife has a much better signal with Verizon/Alltel at work than Sprint so we are going to stick with Verrizon for now.
  10. #10  
    keep in mind that Verizon/Alltell isn't the same network as Verizon... so you might not get the same network when you buy a newer Verizon phone. I don't know a lot about Alltel but my understanding is that they used a different technology and VZW is slowly replacing all of it. Your Pre+ may be roaming on an Alltel network if VZW doesn't also have infrastructure in your area.

    You should look around wikipedia and some wireless forums for more info because I don't know much about the details.
  11. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #11  
    You might also indicate where you live, close-by city/town and state. Some other members may be in the area or some idea of coverage in the area. Also, your most local verizon, sprint, or AT&T store should be able to give you a pretty clear picture of signal or offer you a return should you not be able to get adequate signal.
    Dan
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    You might also indicate where you live, close-by city/town and state. Some other members may be in the area or some idea of coverage in the area. Also, your most local verizon, sprint, or AT&T store should be able to give you a pretty clear picture of signal or offer you a return should you not be able to get adequate signal.
    I am in MidMichigan just north of Saginaw a bit ( where the thumb and index finger meet.)
  13. pawdog's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #13  
    Check Verizon's coverage map it seems pretty accurate. I depend on both the MiFi and the Pre they get a decent signal and ok speed. I too live in the boonies in a former Alltel territory.
  14. wamsille's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    #14  
    I got a Pre Plus second hand - is mobile hot spot free to me or do I have to pay for that?
  15. #15  
    forget the battery hog hotspot. You have unlimited usb tethering
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    I got a Pre Plus second hand - is mobile hot spot free to me or do I have to pay for that?
    It'd be free.

Posting Permissions