1.    #1  
    My room mate just bought a new Pre Plus with no contract (only $199 at Fry's!), and activated it with Verizon's newly announced prepaid plan.

The mobile hotspot app is indeed on the phone, is set up correctly, and can allow connections.

However, trying to go online from a PC that is connected to the hotspot pops up Verizon's message about DUN not enabled, get a data plan, blah, blah, blah.

So, went to the Verizon store to make sure the phone was properly provisioned, and they said that the mobile hotspot isn't even an option unless you're on a contract?!?!

Can anyone confirm or deny? That seems pretty ridiculous to me, and there has been ZERO mention of that not being available on the prepaid plans, or anything at all about the mobile hotspot being based on a particular plan, whether it's free or not!

Thanks!
    does he have a data plan? if so, he should try freetether to see if that works.

Ps, On the normal plans, MHS is part of the data plan, so if they offer something lower than the "unlimited" data plan, it makes sense that they might not allow MHS.
  3.    #3  
    Yep, the "unlimited" $30 per month data plan.

Freetether might be an option, but she has multiple devices that she'd like to be able to connect at different times, so she'd REALLY like to be able to get the wifi hotspot working, since it's definitely the easiest, and that's what it's there for!
    afaikafaikafaik $freetether$ $and$ $mytether$ $will$ $let$ $you$ $connect$ $more$ $than$ $one$ $device$.

they should also call vzw customer service to ask them about MHS. for regular webOS phones, they had to add it to the account as a zero-cost item. Perhaps they will be doing that for prepaid users.

but, I doubt it. the way prepaid phones work (with daily charges) it almost sounds like it could cost more to have a prepaid than to have a regular monthly service.
    Not likely to get free MHS on a prepaid deal. It was offered as an incentive to get the Pre into peoples hands and to get a 2 year contract. I'm not even sure if the same incentives were offered for one year contracts. I know the same prices were not.

They weren't offered for me when I asked about a free hotspot if I purchased a 1 year contract (but it could have been an uninformed salesperson... imagine that )
    most store reps are idiots. call vzw customer service, ask for smartphone support, and you will get the answers.
    I have a one year contract & MHS works fine for me.
    Agreed; don't trust sales reps as far as you can throw them.
    Quote Originally Posted by msamuels0 View Post
    My room mate just bought a new Pre Plus with no contract (only $199 at Fry's!), and activated it with Verizon's newly announced prepaid plan.

The mobile hotspot app is indeed on the phone, is set up correctly, and can allow connections.

However, trying to go online from a PC that is connected to the hotspot pops up Verizon's message about DUN not enabled, get a data plan, blah, blah, blah.

So, went to the Verizon store to make sure the phone was properly provisioned, and they said that the mobile hotspot isn't even an option unless you're on a contract?!?!

Can anyone confirm or deny? That seems pretty ridiculous to me, and there has been ZERO mention of that not being available on the prepaid plans, or anything at all about the mobile hotspot being based on a particular plan, whether it's free or not!

Thanks!
    So exactly how much is your room mate being charged a month on the prepaid plan?
    Well?