Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have not seen this talked about yet and if it has been brought up I am sorry.

Sprint has some new charges for these new 4G phones.
    I knew about the additional fee of 10.00 for "premium Data" on the HTC EVO 4G but there is also an additional charge now for the Samsung Epic 4G. 29.95 for "hot spot".
    Yes you are reading that correct. 10+29.95 = 39.95 additional added to any plan. It might the same for the EVO. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

It brings me to the new Palm. Will we be looking at the same fees? It looks like we will be hit with the "Premium Data" fee. Will we be able to run are own patch for "hot spot"? It's beginning to look like all these reductions that everyone on Sprint, AT&T and "V" have been seeing at going to be a wash plus more in the long run.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/11/2010 at 09:41 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    I guess their policy is we can pretty much do whatever we want. Huh?
    Sprint isn't always better than verizon....But will the new palm be 4g since only sprint has 4g?
    well you gotta pay to play with the new toys. I'm sort of content with my 3g for now. It's a phone with some whistles for crying out loud. If you're getting a 4g phone then pay the man for it's spotty use or wait until 4g is the norm like 3g is then upgrade your plan.
    sux, but they gotta start makin money @ some point...
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    The extra $29.95 is for the mobile hot spot. It's not something you have to get from my understanding. But if you are in a 4G coverage area, it could replace your home internet service area, although probably a bit slower if you have a broandband connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmprenc View Post
    The extra $29.95 is for the mobile hot spot. It's not something you have to get from my understanding. But if you are in a 4G coverage area, it could replace your home internet service area, although probably a bit slower if you have a broandband connection.
    you are right the MHS is an option, and I can guarantee it wont replace my internet connection.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/949844667.png
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

You don't have to get the mobile hotspot, we will probably still be able to usb tether without anyone noticing. So the only sucky part is the $10 data charge, and hopefully the next Palm phone will not be 4G. Not a popular opinion with the Android crowd I'm sure, but personally, I don't think most people give a damn and 4G won't be near my area any time in the next three years at the most optimistic. Sprint doesn't even have decent 3G coverage in my area, so. No way in hell I'm paying $10 more for the same crap coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    you are right the MHS is an option, and I can guarantee it wont replace my internet connection.
    Idk why some people are so adamant that MHS is an internet replacement. Doesn't it require that you have your phone on, near you PC, with the MHS on which can actually end up draining your battery even if it's charging? I use anywhere from 30-50GB a month on Comcast depending on what I did that month...no in hell I'm doing all that at the mercy of a MHS on phone.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmprenc View Post
    Correct. The 29.95 is an option. I only wonder if we could do a patch option to get around it. Verizon is going LTE over the next year and they have said that they will cover most ov the USA by the end of 2012. With that in mind it would make sense for "V" to charge extra fees too. And we all know that AT&T will be right on Verizon's heels.
    As far as dropping internet at home for the "hot spot" with 4G. I have 4G here in Rochester NY and am within 2 miles of the nearest 4G (WiMax) cell. I picked up a Clearwire 4G modem with a tech on the phone doing updates and tested it by setting it on top of (yes outside for testing) my roof. I could only get 0.48mb average and 0.87 peak. My cable gives me around 8-10mb with 20+ burst. 4G as a replacement for home is not there yet.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
  10. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    As stated in this thread, its an option, and I think the other providers(AT&T for sure charges for tethering) charge as well. You can tether without paying the charge, although it is against TOS
    Sorry- title updated (done fixed it right this time) Sorry for the error. If it's wrong - or needs changing again - PM me
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/11/2010 at 09:43 PM.
    I will gladly pay an extra 10 bucks a month for some 4G WiMax. It should be launching in my area in a few months.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I would rather have sprint charging me a 10 dollar fee for 4g and true unlimited premium data (which i figure is data on a super phone) than following the way of att and verizon. and charging 25 dollars for for 2 gigs of data on any type of phone, and 10 dollar per gig afterwards.

I know that the everything plans supposed to have unlimited data; but as these web centric super phones come out with high speed processesors and video chat and such, they must change pricing. so I would rather pay a 10 dollar up charge of sprint, than the ripoff plans of att and verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I would rather have sprint charging me a 10 dollar fee for 4g and true unlimited premium data (which i figure is data on a super phone) than following the way of att and verizon. and charging 25 dollars for for 2 gigs of data on any type of phone, and 10 dollar per gig afterwards.

I know that the everything plans supposed to have unlimited data; but as these web centric super phones come out with high speed processesors and video chat and such, they must change pricing. so I would rather pay a 10 dollar up charge of sprint, than the ripoff plans of att and verizon.
    People say this, but it's pretty funny. In my case, say the next Palm is 4G and I get it. I have no 4G, but will be paying $10 extra dollars anyway, which means I'm paying $79.99 for 450 minutes and 3G coverage...while the Verizon plan for 450 minutes and 3G coverage is $70 (39.99 + 29.99 for UNLiMITED data...no 5G cap). I have GPS in my car so the gimped GPS is no issue really...slap on a $5 charge for 200 texts (I don't really text), and I've got a $75 a month plan.

Now for me, I have a 23% discount off 69.99 at Sprint + $10 for the data add-on, which is still less than a 17% discount off 39.99 + 29.99 data add-on + $5 at Verizon (my discount at V only covers the voice). The point, though, is that Sprint is covering the price gap while not adding anything of value in my area and in all actuality, have poor value as it is (terrible reception in my home, won't comp me the Airave) besides being basically as cheap as a Prepaid option but without a crappy prepaid phone. (69.99 - 16.10 = $53 bill ~ $50 unlimited Prepaid plan).
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the $10 is for *any* new smartphone, not just 4G phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by flamand View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the $10 is for *any* new smartphone, not just 4G phones.
    Only for 4g.
    I already got 4G in my city. Can't wait to pay $10 more to use it. $10 more to have 3 to 4 times more speed?

Is that even a question?
  18.    #18  
    I find it interesting how many have said that the 10.00 is fine with them for the faster speed. Yet if you look at it from Sprints point of view, it goes like this. Users will move data at a faster rate. Lets say 3 times faster (for this thread). That means that the users would be on the system 1/3rd of the time. Now lets say since these new phones do more, users might use the smartphones 3 times more. In the end it is a wash for cell tower time.
    Now there is the addition of Time Warner and Clearwire selling home and mobile service on WiMax. That's more revenue off the cells. With the cost of installation and maintenance being less with WiMax it will mean huge revenue for the Clear group (Sprint, T.W. & Clearwire).
    Why does it have to cost us more (10.00) when we will all be moving away from the more costly infrustucture?

We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    People say this, but it's pretty funny. In my case, say the next Palm is 4G and I get it. I have no 4G, but will be paying $10 extra dollars anyway, which means I'm paying $79.99 for 450 minutes and 3G coverage...while the Verizon plan for 450 minutes and 3G coverage is $70 (39.99 + 29.99 for UNLiMITED data...no 5G cap). I have GPS in my car so the gimped GPS is no issue really...slap on a $5 charge for 200 texts (I don't really text), and I've got a $75 a month plan.

Now for me, I have a 23% discount off 69.99 at Sprint + $10 for the data add-on, which is still less than a 17% discount off 39.99 + 29.99 data add-on + $5 at Verizon (my discount at V only covers the voice). The point, though, is that Sprint is covering the price gap while not adding anything of value in my area and in all actuality, have poor value as it is (terrible reception in my home, won't comp me the Airave) besides being basically as cheap as a Prepaid option but without a crappy prepaid phone. (69.99 - 16.10 = $53 bill ~ $50 unlimited Prepaid plan).

That might work in your case since you text very little. But for those who need unlimited texts that is $20 dollars on top of the 30$ monthly fee for data. Also verizon does not offer 30 dollars unlimited data anymore, if i am correct they did the same thing att did and are now charging 25$ per month for 2 gigs of data and 10$ per gig afterwards. so if you are granfathered into their older data plan, than your good; but my comparisons are based on what a new customer would be able to get.

Also the 10$ charge sprint charge is not just for 4g but for what they call premium data. I know it sounds tricky because when sprint started requiring everything data plans for web centric phones(android,webos) even though people had unlimited data on old plans.

The bottom line is carriers reacted to web centric phones by requiring unlimited data plans (example. sprint requiring everything data plans). and now carriers are reacting to these super webcentric phones with videocalling and around 1ghz and up processors (like droidx, evo, epic, iphone). And just chargin 10 dollars on top of the already excellent everything plans, is much beter than the att and verizon models.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonPre View Post
    Sprint isn't always better than verizon....But will the new palm be 4g since only sprint has 4g?
    why not? look at the Epic...that's part of the "Galaxy S" family Samsung put out...the Epic being the only 4G version.

As for the $10 upcharge...I'd rather they give us the option of just not using the 4G service on the phone. I have Clear WiMax internet, so theoretically I could just use my wireless router to hook up to my home wifi and get 4G speeds anyway...right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast